• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

oil change and starting

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
This is one of my more dumber questions, but when the oil is newly changed does the engine have better compression and will the engines actually start better? It just seems to me to be this way, so I thought I would ask the forum. Thanks in advance.

Sp53

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
If it does, it will not last long. The oil will thin very quickly upon warm up and that will end that illusion.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Brosky said:
If it does, it will not last long. The oil will thin very quickly upon warm up and that will end that illusion.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif
Sorry Paul, but actually a 20w-50 engine oil will increase it's viscosity as it heats up. Over time the additive that causes viscosity to increase with temperature will break down and the oil's viscosity at temperature will begin to decrease.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
Brosky said:
Sorry Paul, but actually a 20w-50 engine oil will increase it's viscosity as it heats up. Over time the additive that causes viscosity to increase with temperature will break down and the oil's viscosity at temperature will begin to decrease.

Umm not quite. oil viscosity indexes are related to oil temperature. For a single wt oil it is intuitive that the oil will be thinner as it heats up.
For a multi wt oil, at low temperatures, it will approximately as the lower viscosity # but as it heats us it will act like the higher viscosity# however since viscosity of oil is affected by temperature, the actual viscosity of the oil will be lower at the high temperature, it just won't loose quite as much viscosity as a single wt oil would have.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
sp53 said:
when the oil is newly changed does the engine have better compression and will the engines actually start better? It just seems to me to be this way, so I thought I would ask the forum. Thanks in advance.

Sp53
No, but there is a huge snake oil industry which would like you to think so.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
70herald said:
TR6oldtimer said:
Brosky said:

Umm not quite. oil viscosity indexes are related to oil temperature. For a single wt oil it is intuitive that the oil will be thinner as it heats up.
For a multi wt oil, at low temperatures, it will approximately as the lower viscosity # but as it heats us it will act like the higher viscosity# however since viscosity of oil is affected by temperature, the actual viscosity of the oil will be lower at the high temperature, it just won't loose quite as much viscosity as a single wt oil would have.
I agree.
See the attached chart.
An SAE 20 oil at 100F will have a viscosity of about 350 SUS. At 210F it will be around 55 SUS.

A SAE 50 oil at 100F will have a viscosity of about 1050 SUS. At 210F it will be around 92 SUS.

A SAE 20-50 oil at 100F will have a viscosity of about 350 SUS. At 210F it will be around 92 SUS.

Note that gear oils are rated differently. A SAE 90 gear oil is actually quite close in viscosity to a SAE 50 engine oil.
D

Attachments

• 6208-OilViscosity.jpg
    6208-OilViscosity.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 52

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
'I are a rock sometimes'.

Of course oils become less viscus when heated. What I really ment to say is that over time motor oils lose their ability to maintain rated viscosity. So in our cars old oil would be less viscous at operating temperature then new. (However, some oils will actually go the other way and increase in viscosity due to sludging.)

As to whether one would notice a change in performance after an oil change I guess would depend on how old the oil was, or more likely it is just the feel good thing of doing it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just wanted to stir up a discussion and it looks like I was successful. Thanks, I did learn somethings about the heat / viscosity factors that I did not know.

Besides, everyone knows that to raise compression over one point you would have to not only wash, but wax the car as well. This after an oil change, of course!