• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Odometer repair

GaryBeu

Banned
So my odometer and trip meter quit working. The speedometer works but numbers won't turn. This is VERY important as I need to track mileage for my job. Where should I send this Smiths speedometer for repair? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary
ps. Money IS a limiting factor. : )

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've tried a number of services over time but always go back to Nisonger .

Not the cheapest, but...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gary -

If you do send it out and need a temporary replacement, I have a couple lying around - let me know, and give me the numbers on the bottom of the dial. I'll see if one of these matches.

Mickey

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got the opposite problem -- my odometer and trip meter seem to work fine, but the speedo part is, um, a bit optimistic. Unless I really was doing 100 miles an hour up the canyon yesterday. And not passing anyone.
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Check to see if you have the 90 degree gizmo at the trans end of the cable.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks for the offer Mickey !! I'll let you know if we send it off.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Gary, speedos typically don't just quit - you might want to test it with a drill before you send it off - In my experience speedo issues are almost always cable issues.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
JP...the speedo works fine but the odometer doesn't. When I try to reset the trip meter it won't align the numbers to zero...seems to get to about 0000.3 and then will work until showing 1.5 miles and quits turning.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I see - sounds like a gear issue - here's a thought (BUT DON'T DO IT TILL AT LEAST ONE MORE PERSON CHIMES IN) I don't want you screw it up more - can you take off the glass as shoot some lube in and around the numbers? It may be binding - but, I've never worked on speedometers before so someone should now chime in that it is a dumb idea. On the other hand you might have nothing to loose.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hunt down posts by dklawson here on the forum, Gary. He has posted some excellent photos and info on speedo and instrument repairs. Another member has done so as well. May have been Paul Rego (Brosky) in the Triumph forum.

Don't spritz anything in the thing from the front, too much like usin' a shotgun to kill a mouse, IMO (sorry, JP :wink: ).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Hunt down posts by dklawson here on the forum, Gary. He has posted some excellent photos and info on speedo and instrument repairs. Another member has done so as well. May have been Paul Rego (Brosky) in the Triumph forum.

Don't spritz anything in the thing from the front, too much like usin' a shotgun to kill a mouse, IMO (sorry, JP :wink: ).

no worries boss- I don't know and am always open to learn

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks JP & Doc...I won't spritz and I will try to locate posts by dklawson.

Gary

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Doc...I tried hunting posts on this from dklawson, etc. on speedo's. Just too many to search through. Seems to me if the speedo works then the gear in the trans must be working and the internal instrument parts for the odometer/trip meter must be at fault. Does this make sense?? Thanks.

Gary

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. You likely have an internal issue with the gear driving the odo. I can't find the pages either...

And the 90* adaptor-lookin'-thingie at the trans end of the cable is a gear ratio device. If you use one from a non-OD box on an OD, the reading will be off by some amount... not recalling which way is which. And a "direct" connection will certainly be erroneous.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Doc. My car is non-OD for whatever that's worth. I've emailed Nisonger for a repair estimate...now, if I can only figger out how to get the @#%!& thing out of the dash !!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tiny hands and rubber bones!

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
That's about what I figured ! Nisonger says that with what is happening my speedo is suffering from old age and needs a rebuild. Now to come up with $175.00 plus two-way shipping...

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
So...it's now time to remove my speedometer from the dash. Of course I can't ~see~anything back there and my Bentley manual has no information.

Am I correct that the speedo is held against the dash with a bracket in the back and I need to loosen two thumbscrews and remove the lens and it will come out the front? If so, it seems pretty easy except that I don't know where to find a 2 year old child with small arms and hands who can follow directions !

Thanks for any info on this.

Gary

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You'll need to remove the bracket that is held on by two thumbscrews. Then the entire unit can be pulled out.

But FIRST, disconnect the battery, just in case. And then disconnect the speedometer cable and the gauge light.

Depending on how much slack there is for the cable and the light, it may be easier to disconnect them once you've pulled the speedometer out a bit. Trial and error here.

Mickey