• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Odometer Finger Prints inside glass

Penni

Freshman Member
The Odometer on my TR3 A has fingerprints inside of it. (last owner)
Can I detach the silver rim to clean the glass inside? Does it just pop out or is this a bigger job and forget about it.
Thanks so much. Penni

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andy is technically correct as usual, but it doesn't always work out that easy in practice. You'll want to remove the instrument from the dash first, which can be an adventure in itself if those oddball mounting threads are tight. Then between the metal ring and the glass is a layer of some kind of fiber/rubber material that may crumble and fall out. If so, you'll need to replace it with something that is thick enough to hold the glass securely, but not too thick to install the ring.

Then putting the ring back on can be somewhat frustrating too. You have to hold the instrument face up, so gravity will hold the glass in place, while you simultaneously get all 8 or 10 tabs engaged and turn the ring to lock them. Can be a problem, especially if you have small hands.

I'm not saying "don't do it", only that it might be a little harder than Andy makes it sound.

Oh yeah, best to work over a towel or something, to cushion and catch the glass if you happen to drop it. The edges are surprisingly fragile.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Those glass edges are <span style="font-style: italic">sharp</span>, as well. Popsicle sticks and/or bamboo chopsticks with ends whittled to various shapes are better tools for prying and prodding the instruments' bezels and bits. Metal tools can be destructive. The stuff originally used between bezel and glass (as Randall pointed out) has usually deteriorated to a solidified mess and can really frustrate you. Seems the P.O. did the "heavy lifting" so you may luck out and be able to just twist the bezel to the proper alignment to get it off. After, of course getting it out of the dash.
12-year-olds with dexterity can be of some value in that task... :wink: :jester:

Another good piece of kit to have at hand is one of those rubber jar lid removing aids. Helps ya get a grip on the bezel a bit more easily.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Another thing: The large rubber "gasket" between the bezel and the dash can be "counterfeited" by using the square-cut rubber seals from unused oil filter "kits". Almost an exact match. If resizing is necessary, it can be done with an ExactO knife and some super glue to join the cut ends. Like splicing recording tape or film (if that reference ain't too old to be obscure).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DrEntropy said:
Another thing: The large rubber "gasket" between the bezel and the dash
I could be wrong, but it is my belief that the earlier TRs did not have those. I've owned or parted out a lot of TR3s over the years, and never found any traces of that gasket, not even a black mark on the vinyl. No mention in the parts catalog that I can find (not that that proves anything). And there doesn't seem to be any need for it.

I suspect it was introduced with either the painted metal dash, or the later fancy wooden dash. The TRF parts database lists it only for TR6 ...

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
All good advice, I will add if you have an unusually stubborn trim ring, a rubber strap wrench is a good tool to get it off without damaging anything.

Usually they are not too hard, but I have run into a few stubborn ones.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TR3driver said:
DrEntropy said:
Another thing: The large rubber "gasket" between the bezel and the dash
I could be wrong, but it is my belief that the earlier TRs did not have those. I've owned or parted out a lot of TR3s over the years, and never found any traces of that gasket, not even a black mark on the vinyl. No mention in the parts catalog that I can find (not that that proves anything). And there doesn't seem to be any need for it.

I suspect it was introduced with either the painted metal dash, or the later fancy wooden dash. The TRF parts database lists it only for TR6 ...

Likely true, Randall. Painted dash, maybe. Wood ones for certain. Not a need with the cloth/vinyl covered ones. That was a: "ready, fire!...aim" on my part. :shocked: