• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

odometer bj7

Tproject

odometer bj7

Doing a rolling restoration. Engine is rebuilt with about 30 miles on it. Has anyone out there turned the odometer back to zero. The so functions well but I would like to track the post rebuild mi.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: odometer bj7

I turned my odometer back when I restored my BT7 30 years ago. My speedo/odometer is mechanical and resetting was a simple procedure. Open the unit, remove the needle and face plate, roll the odometer wheels back to zero. Reassemble. Getting the needle back on in the proper spot can take a few tries. I needs to rest against the pin when not moving. I had to place it on the speedo in the minus 3 mph position in order to get it to rest against the pin. Put the needle on the speedo in the minus position (about 1/8" behind the pin) and then GENTLY bend the needle up over the resting pin and rotate it to the working side of the pin. It should then rest against the pin with a slight pressure. It usually takes me a few tries to get it right.
Remember, the placement of the needle on the speedo shaft will effect how the unit reads. Place it to far on the minus side and it will read slow, not far enough and it will read fast. At least that's what I found.
Rob

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

Tproject said:
Doing a rolling restoration. Engine is rebuilt with about 30 miles on it. Has anyone out there turned the odometer back to zero. The so functions well but I would like to track the post rebuild mi.

My opinion (which you didn't ask for :laugh: ) is the odometer is more an indicator of the mileage on the brakes and suspension than the motor. Those items are only subject to wear and tear when the car is moving where as the engine can be idling for periods of time with nothing being added to the odometer. Write the odometer reading down in your service manual.

Also, even if the new reading is documented at the DMV, suspicion of the true reading may come up when it comes time to sell the car.

Country flag

Rob Glasgow said:
Put the needle on the speedo in the minus position (about 1/8" behind the pin) and then GENTLY bend the needle up over the resting pin and rotate it to the working side of the pin.

The pin the needle rests on (the "peg") is spring loaded. Just push it in with a small, flat instrument--like a screwdriver--and move the needle over it, then let go.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Spring loaded??? I didn't know that.. I always sweated bending the 50 year old plastic needle. Your method is way better.

OP
T

Tproject

Thanks guys with info and opinions. Greg W.,good point!

The suspension and brakes are also rebuilt and having the healey in the family since new I know that the spedo was not operating for a few years (in total)over it's life to this point, (spedo cable replaced at least twice) so I would question the odometer milage on any 40+ year old healey.

If I sell in the future I will include all documentation and narration concerning the car from it's original delivery doc's thru collision, paint, part's & repair receipt's in addition to those of my rolling resto. I am luckey to have all it's paperwork history.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

Similar topic on odometer:
I went on a rally this weekend. Very nice drive. My speedometer was very close as measured by a GPS. The odometer was off almost 10%. Since the rally asked for mileage during one part, we failed that section. Made a wrong turn and had to back track.
Is the odometer adustable by itself?

Country flag

Jerry said:
Is the odometer adustable by itself?

There's nothing that can be adjusted--the odometer is driven by a gear off the main worm gear that turns an eccentric that moves a pawl that pushes the gear that rotates the odometer wheels. If it's off, something is amiss.

Is it 10% high or 10% low? If it's low, and the trip meter is accurate, I'd guess the gear off the worm gear is partially stripped.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag

After changing the differential gears from the 3.9 to 3.54, my odometer now read low by about 10%. Could that be your issue?