• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Novice mechanic with a Starter Problem [Hopefully]

EastTXMidget

Freshman Member
So I’m having an issue and need some expert help before I run out and buy a starter. Since I purchased the car I’ve been having some issues getting it started. Finally about a week ago I started working on try to fix her up.

Initially I would turn the key and could hear the starter trying to turn the engine but it was very slow to turn, I’d try to start her again and same thing, then at times I could hear the starter not engage the fly wheel and spin (high pitch sound) real quick. Eventually it would turn over and start up.

This is what I’ve replaced so far: Had battery checked, of course it was bad, came back, put the new battery in and same thing. Then I bought a new solenoid and cable from solenoid to starter and it started a little better on the first try, but has never been able to get started again. I put the old solenoid back on and same thing.

Looks like the starter keeps binding up, I turned the square nut at the back of the starter and got it to disengage the flywheel, but as soon as I try to start it again, same thing happens, it gets bound up again in the same spot.

So my assumption is a bad starter right?? Is there anything I can check before replacing the starter? Also novice question here, someone told me that when replacing the starter I need to bump the engine to Top Dead Center, after reading my workshop manual it doesn’t mention this, it simply leads me to believe that it’s just the two bolts in and out and that’s it.

Any help on this would be great. Thanks!!

Jacob

arfamoe

Country flag
I would go ahead and change the starter, I got one from NAPA when i lived down in the US, price was pretty decent. Just a couple of bolts and she's done.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
No need to position the engine any particular way, as bove noted, two bolts and its out. Be careful attaching and detching the large cable, don't twist the post.
Be VERY sure there is a large ground strap connecting the engine to the car. Critical to good starter behavior. It should be on the right underside, attached between the bottom bellhousing/engine backplate bolt and the "frame" rail. I would check that before I replaced the starter.

Glen Byrns

bugimike

Yoda
While you have the starter out, before you go and buy a replacement, take a little motor oil and lubricate the shaft that the Bendix gear slides on and work the gear back and forth in the spiral groove it rides in and see if it spins more freely. You can bench test it by hooking a battery directly to it (a ground to one of the mounting ears and touching the hot wire to the terminal on the starter). The Bendix gear should kick and spin to the end of the shaft vigorously. If it does not "jump", then the starter will definitly need rebuilt or replaced!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You do know that Autozone or such can test starters.

If it tests ok, I would check and clean all the cables, the big ones. Make sure you are getting good current to the starter from the battery, In fact I would check and clean them first, only takes 30 min.

Morris

Yoda
I just picked one up with a lifetime warranty (yeah right) at Advanced Auto. Twas only $30. Can't beat that.

(but I do have a 1500 so your price my vary).

bugimike

Yoda
The price is the same for a Sprite too!!! I just thought it a good exercise for a novice mechanic while he has it out (this was one of the first problems I had to explore as a teenaged novice mechanic myself!) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif If you can fix it yourself, it is much more satisfying than just throwing money at it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
E

EastTXMidget

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I plan on pulling the starter this afternoon. I've got one on order at Advance and will pick it up tomorrow if I can get this one to work.

Mike I'm going to try your suggestion, it would be nice for me to fix it myself and learn a little more about these things!

Jacob

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If you can fix it yourself, it is much more satisfying than just throwing money at it! ;\) [/QUOTE]

AGREED!!!!

Of course, in may case, fixing it myself usually results in me throwing MORE money at it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

bugimike

Yoda
But at least you "learned" how it worked!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Morris is soo good he can now strip th' head from a Spridget in fifteen minutes! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Morris

Yoda
I've done it twice today!

Once under an overpass during a thunderstorm.