• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nobody Told Me

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wish someone had told me that you need to prime the
oil pump.
Finally got the Cortina started - then heard a metallic noise.
Called the machine shop that rebuilt the engine, & he
asked me,"Did you prime the oil pump?"
I said "No",that's why I had you rebuild the engine.
He assumed that I knew about this.
So now,I'm about ready to pull the engine out again,
& find out what needs to be done.
I don't need this right now.

- Doug

Ugggggggh. I didn't know either or I might've said something. The shop really should have done that when they rebuilt the engine - or so I would think.

Sorry to hear this. I'm almost sick.

Country flag
That's unwelcome.

But its hard for the shops to know what to tell people that seem to know what they're doing, I suppose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I wouldn't mind if they told me the pump needed priming... but telling me to put oil in it would be the equivalent of saying they thought I was stupid... which I am, occasionally.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, I think they should've said something like: "We didn't prime the oil pump because we didn't know how long it would be before you install the engine. So, don't forget to prime it before you try to start it."

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Did it take a really long time for oil pressure to come up?

Who did the motor for you, Doug?

I've got a good 60000 mile motor from my 4 door GT If you need it, its yours.

Paul

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
He assumed that I knew about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ass/u/me. Makes an a** out of u and me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I about fell on my face the first time I heard that saying when I was in the Marines.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, you can pack it with lithium grease when you put it in..then you don't have to prime.

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Hey Doug, if they used a decent assembly lube, there is
probably going to be no damage to the crank and rod bearings.
but the cam and lifters *may* have been damaged. If this is
a cross flow, I've got a cam you can have for the cost of
shipping, unfortunately, I don't have any lifters to go with
the cam.

SteveL

Bugeye58

Yoda
Doug, another good practice to follow prior to initial start is to disable the ignition, and crank the engine until you see oil pressure on the gauge. Pulling the plugs will lessen the load on the starter with a fresh engine. I know it's a little late for that now, but I even do this after an oil change.
Jeff

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Doug:

I also have a good Kent BCF3 cam. It was in my 4 door before I burned a piston and sent the motor to Ivey. Works good, no head machining needed.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
.... crank the engine until you see oil pressure on the gauge. Pulling the plugs will lessen the load on the starter ....

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

In fact, I was told many years ago this (pull plugs, crank for pressure) was the safest way to do it; primed pump or not....

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks,everyone.I'll probably pull it back out,
pull the engine,& have the bearings checked/replaced.
The oil pressure line has been broken,& I haven't
figured out how to get to the guage to replace it.
Paul,is that engine a 1500,or a 1600?

- Doug

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Its a 1600, out of my 4 door. It ran perfectly when removed, I just wanted an uprated 711 to build, because thats more common for high performance parts / heads, etc.

I had been thinking of putting it back in the 4 door and selling it, putting the 1700cc Ivey in the silver '67 GT, then saving the 1500 for a spare for the Lotus, but I'll help you out if you need it.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Doug,

I have rebuilt many engines in my time, even an expensive Aston engine and have never primed an oil pump.

I do crank it without ignition until I see oil pressure however.

Alec