• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nice car and I hope he gets his price!

terriphill

Darth Vader
Saw this on e-bay tonight...I hope he gets his price.

1971 MGB

We all have dreams.

Then reality comes and bites us.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Might get half of the opening price.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
....I wouldn't even TOUCH Steve's socks, Paul.

:devilgrin:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
There's a great thread about this on another site. This is silly in the head if he thinks he'll get that much. What's with the red hoses and airpump?

vping said:
<snip> What's with the red hoses and airpump?

He has used a MGB sales brochure as "proof" that these came from the factory painted. What he doesn't realize is that most cars that were featured in sales brochures (by many manufacturers over the years) were "gussied up" to make them colourful and eye-appealing.

So, is it incorrect? No.

Is it correct? Kind of.

Is how how a majority of the cars exited Abingdon for release to the dealer/customer? No.

Bart's MGB is very nice example, although not 100% correct. But it certainly pleased the AACA judges.

A restoration of this extreme ***might*** bring big bucks if it was done to a 1962 through 1967 model (my opinion). The choice of a 1971 pillow-dash model is not exactly my choice into which sink a lot of time, money, and effort.

Unfortunately, Bart seems to be into the hobby more for the quest of "hardware" than for the love of the marque. ("Yes, there are no higher awards that it can win, so my interest has evaporated.")

:frown:

But then...that's what drives some enthusiasts....to each his own.

FWIW - YOMV

ddrumman

So, now we have 2 MGBs (75 & 71) on ebay with opening bids of $28,000 and $30,000 respectively. The 75's opening bid is also not enough to cover the "reserve".

I think that our Bs are finally getting their due......NOT.

Those guys are either on crack or have been under a rock. I shouldn't pass judgment, and at the same time I wonder why one would not check comps. It sounds like I've been doing too much Real Estate lately.

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Never say never - remember the TR4 that sold for $97,000 at Barrett-Jackson last year.

Or as Big Ed Baumstein says, "there's a butt for every seat".

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
rick_ingram said:
vping said:
<snip> What's with the red hoses and airpump?

He has used a MGB sales brochure as "proof" that these came from the factory painted. What he doesn't realize is that most cars that were featured in sales brochures (by many manufacturers over the years) were "gussied up" to make them colourful and eye-appealing.

So, is it incorrect? No.

Is it correct? Kind of.

Is how how a majority of the cars exited Abingdon for release to the dealer/customer? No.

Bart's MGB is very nice example, although not 100% correct. But it certainly pleased the AACA judges.

A restoration of this extreme ***might*** bring big bucks if it was done to a 1962 through 1967 model (my opinion). The choice of a 1971 pillow-dash model is not exactly my choice into which sink a lot of time, money, and effort.

Unfortunately, Bart seems to be into the hobby more for the quest of "hardware" than for the love of the marque. ("Yes, there are no higher awards that it can win, so my interest has evaporated.")

:frown:

But then...that's what drives some enthusiasts....to each his own.

FWIW - YOMV
Granted its a beautiful car & I hope he gets his price...everytime I see photos of it, though, I always want to look at his sales brochure to see an engine compartment that left Abingdon gussied up (or maybe I should say 'gussied down') like that!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
All joking aside, it is a beautiful restorationand and I too hope he gets his price. Looking at it from a purist standpoint though, I just can't figure why he would ruin it by painting hoses and some parts that were not originally painted. Could be the difference of winning or loosing a concourse judging.

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Re: The "red hoses". Sorry, but I guess I am one of those "retired mechanics with foggy memories" but I do distinctly remember that the cars came off of the trucks with the engines looking like they had been assembled and then dipped in red paint before stuffing them in their new home. Everything except the spark plugs and the manifolds were coated. If he really wanted to be accurate he should accelerate the pealing process on the rubber and chip away a little on the hose bracketing. That is the way they looked after about twenty minutes of running.

Also, I can't recall seeing a roadster with a map pocket in the right foot well. I just might have "the fog" on that one, but it seems like only the GTs came with pockets during the '69 through '72 time frame.

In other news...Gasoline has rocketed up about 25 or 30 percent over the past 12 or 18 months. If you use that as any sort of measure then the $12,000 to $14,000 "perfect" Bs that were for sale back then should perhaps be in the $16,000 to $19,000 bracket. Adding a tad for his being in "extremely perfect" shape and being uniquely in that condition $20,000 to $22,000 might be more in line today for this car.

I have mixed feelings about this whole price thing. Part of me says, go for it and let the market judge whether or not you are on the mark. On the other hand I also see Joe Six Pack seeing these numbers and getting the idea that his car is worth way too much money. That puts folks like us who just want to buy a decent project or parts car out in the cold until reality sets back in in the market.

Jack

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have a map pocket on my 67BGT and my 74 BGT had one as well. My 74 roadster does not.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've had my 72 since it was 10 years old, bought it from the original owner. It has a map pocket on the right kick panel. This is the original map pocket restored.
P3200013.jpg

vping said:
I have a map pocket on my 67BGT and my 74 BGT had one as well. My 74 roadster does not.

All four of my MGs have map pockets in the passenger footwell.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like that map pocked. I bet AMCO made them as an after market item.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Awesome looking interior Paul.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
twigworker said:
Sorry, but I guess I am one of those "retired mechanics with foggy memories" but I do distinctly remember that the cars came off of the trucks with the engines looking like they had been assembled and then dipped in red paint before stuffing them in their new home. Everything except the spark plugs and the manifolds were coated. If he really wanted to be accurate he should accelerate the pealing process on the rubber and chip away a little on the hose bracketing. That is the way they looked after about twenty minutes of running.
Well, I know of at least 1 '79 MGB that came off the truck the way we all see them - MINE - because I was there!! & the original sales brochure (which I still have) shows it the way we all see them - no paint on hoses, air pump, etc!

The only thing the dealer changed to make the sale was he painted the hardtop to match the body, installed a luggage rack & switched the suspension out with a wire wheel car he had on the lot...next day when I went back to finalize the deal, my car was sitting in the shop with wire wheels & the other car was on the rack with no suspension!