• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Next car TR8 ?

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've gotten the urge to have a TR8 in the nearish future, maybe next spring. Looking for some scoop from the knowledge 8 owners here. Any preference between the standard Carbs, FI or a 4BBL Holley ? Also I've read where the larger Rover engines will "fit". Would that be a bolt in or a real can of worms ? I'm not really looking to hot rod one of those things but my other cars are pretty quick so it might need some help to keep up. Thanks, Bob

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No, but compared to my Corvette, Cobra replica and Tiger the TR8 might have a slight disadvaantage. Bob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The TR8 will not disappoint you if you do some slight mods. If you go with the 4.6 block right out of the box, you will have about 220HP to start with on regular gas and very driveable. Not too shabby at all.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
When it comes time to buy one, do your homework and look at several before you buy. Take some rides in some TR8s and decide what level of performance your after. Then buy a car that all ready best suits your desires. You can find them for sale in every level from bone stock to wildly fast and modified. Buy the best example your budget allows. Whatever you do, don't buy one that is nearly stock and then spend thousands modifying it. By the time your done, you could have bought both the stock one and an all ready modified one. Take a trip up to the big show in Stowe this fall and hang out with the TR8 guys. You will get to drive/ride in all sorts of TR8s. Avoid buying from a dealer. Buy from a TR8 enthusiast that knows the car and drives it. Dealer cars are more fluff than substance, usually have inflated prices, and almost always have hidden needed maintenance from lack of driving. If the seller makes a HP claim, have them back it up with a dyno slip! Lots of TR8s come with some inflated HP claims and expectations.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
To tr8todd, I like your thinking, a lot of common sense there. I should have figured that out by now! My Tiger project was designed to "give me something to do" as I am a born tinkerer/builder. Actually the Tiger is too big of a project and I will be burnt out with "building" and will be looking for something to drive right out of the box next time around .

I want something that is as bulletproof as a LBC can be. I'm sure with a modified engine the next weak link in the car/drive train will show up and you can easily get on the treadmill of constant fixes. No thanks. A moderate performance increase will be sufficient. I am not looking for drag race numbers just something more peppy than my 116 HP Miata (which cannot climb hills in fifth with the air on). Bob

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Sounds like you want a smooth reliable driver with a little extra go and not an all out screamer. One with a basic cam, headers, and four barrel swap should fit the bill. Things like improved driveshaft, roll bars, bigger rims and tires, brake upgrade, and suspension work should be on your wish list too. A 4.0 or 4.6 engine swap would be nice as well as long as your not footing the bill. These mods pretty much describe where most of the TR8s end up.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:
I want something that is as bulletproof as a LBC can be. I'm sure with a modified engine the next weak link in the car/drive train will show up and you can easily get on the treadmill of constant fixes. No thanks. A moderate performance increase will be sufficient. I am not looking for drag race numbers just something more peppy than my 116 HP Miata (which cannot climb hills in fifth with the air on).

Once folks push past 180-200 HP, they would probably change the tranny and rear end.

What does your Miata weigh? Stock FI TR8 is around 137 HP, and around 2700 lbs. I think you will find it peppier than your Miata. Up the compression a bit, install a better cam, and you will bump it up a bit, but still be within what the drivetrain and FI system can handle.

Also check out Woody Copper's Wedge Shop, especially if you want to go to crazy power.

TeamEvil

Freshman Member
"Also check out Woody Copper's Wedge Shop"

Look . . . but don't touch. You'll want to stay with the basic upgrades for your first outing, money flows too quickly when upgrading these cars, as they need almost everything in the end.

A loud word of caution here, if you're serious about buying a TR8 you need to come to the Southern Coast of Massachusetts and spend a day with the group of enthusiasts who live here.near here. There are several on-going builds and unfortunate re-builds because of initially poor workmanship, a LOT of first-hand information to be had.

Never trust the advertisements or random word of mouth, talk long and seriously with current owners and long term drivers for a fully filled in picture of what works and doesn't with the TR8 and who you can trust and who to avoid when it comes to repairs and upgrades.

For the most part, disregard any advice from anyone with anything to sell.

Luck,

Team Evil.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Must be a 1990-1993 Miata (1.6l) which had 116HP and weighed 2200lbs. Our 1997 Miata has 133HP (1.8l) and weighs 2300lbs according to the specs.

Scott

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Buy my TR7 =D It's wicked fun, though it's not an 8, but the price is right and the condition is unbeatable =)

Since you're in Mass, definitely get together with Tr8todd and some of the other wedge enthusiasts in the area. There are actually a lot!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Charlie Frink of the Cape Cod British Car Club has a nice one for sale that was parked next to me at the DOT last week. I think you can get the info at the CCBCC site.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the clue Paul, problem is it's too soon for me. I'm six months to a year away from an "8". Trying to do some homework before making a fool of myself. I don't mind asking stupid questions here but not with a potential seller.

On another note, what is the status on clones ? I've run into that problem while checking out Tigers and Algers. I suspect the TR8 has a significant digit somewhere in the Vin # to offer some protection. Is that so ?

Are there specific TR8 forums or web sites ? As I get closer to decision time I will absolutely check out the Mass contingent and anyone else who can help. Until then I'll keep muddling through gaining knowledge and facts. Thanks, Bob

(By the way I have driven my daughter-in-laws Mazdaspeed and it really puts my N1 to shame.)

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
In the wedge world, they seem to be called conversions. Yes, you can tell by the VIN. But wedges haven't taken off in price, so most folks seem up front about the lineage as there is little financial incentive not to be.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, easy to tell if real. I can personally confirm that a 4.0 is a drop in and makes all the power a sane person can use on the road. These car take modifications well an in stages. These are still simple cars - especially with carbs - so I wouldn't be afraid of a project of you line doing the work.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:
On another note, what is the status on clones ? I've run into that problem while checking out Tigers and Algers. I suspect the TR8 has a significant digit somewhere in the Vin # to offer some protection. Is that so ?

Yep - code deciphered here.

Bob Claffie said:
Are there specific TR8 forums or web sites ? As I get closer to decision time I will absolutely check out the Mass contingent and anyone else who can help. Until then I'll keep muddling through gaining knowledge and facts. Thanks, Bob

There is a very good website for all things wedge related. Here's one: https://www.forum.triumphtr7.com

And Woody Cooper has a great website with forum at www.wedgeshop.com

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
tdskip said:
I can personally confirm that a 4.0 is a drop in and makes all the power a sane person can use on the road.

Luckily, few of us here are sane :smile:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
one day I'll find out.

For crying out loud Tom, :cry: How do you work on so many cars.
I'm having problems doing 2