• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New tach, need matching speedo...

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got my new electric tach in today. It's RVI 2401/01, from a 66 or so Spridget (or similar). I think it's one of the last positive ground tachs. It's in good shape, and was sold as functioning. I don't have a running car right now to test it, but it looks good to me. Case isn't even all that rusty.

tachface.jpg
tachback.jpg

Two questions:

1. How do I wire this up?

2. Does anyone have the matching speedo to go with this that they'd be willing to sell? (I did check our new swap meet, but none there /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif) I'd need SN6142/00, which should be for the 4.22 rear end I have (at least my book says so). I'd like the speedo to match, and my Bugeye original needs to be restored still -- a project for later.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Sorry Drew--can't help. Have you checked ebay? I see similar tachs on there all the time. Usually listed above or beneath are the paired speedos.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I Just bought a (described as) good condition, working Bugeye speedo, so I'm just going to use that for now. I'll still keep my eyes open for that later model. Can't have too many parts around, now can you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Wish I could test it and try to figure out the wiring, but Tunebug is non-functional right now.

WME

Freshman Member
Drew

The later electric tach's have an inductive loop that senses ignition pulses. The pulse is amplified by a transistor inside the tach which drives the needle. It is attached by runing your White (I Think) ignition wire through the tach. (in one side out the other) There is a variable resistor on the board that can be accessed through a hole on the back of the tach that is used to calibrate it. There is also a capacitor on the circuit board that dries out with age, a replacement can be had at Radio Shack.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Hopefully someone will correct this if it is wrong but--
Drew
Wiring the tach is pretty simple, the wire in question replaces the one running from the coil to the distributer but it is very long and runs from the coil to the tach, wraps around the tach sensor (stuff on the right on your picture) 3 times and then returns to the distributer. For test just run the wire but then making it look like it is in the wiring harness will be the interesting part. A wire from the ignition switch (or hot wire frrom the fuel gauge) to the power plug on the tach and a GOOD ground should complete the operation.
By the way- you need to get a tach sensor assy to plug into the tach where the threaded post is (yours is missing)
Bill

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So do I need a "tach sensor assembly?" Anyone got a picture so I know what I'm looking for.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the eBay link.

Since my first post in this thread, I've actually decided to go in a different direction. I found a functioning Bugeye speedo on eBay, and was able to win it for a reasonable sum. I'm now going to try to delve into the mysteries of electronic tach repair and swapping, and see if I can update an original Bugeye-look tach with reliable electronic bits. I've got a bit in on a restorable Bugeye tach, and hope to be able to use that face, and the 2 electronic tachs that I have, to make one good tach.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is a guide someplace on how to just mount electronic tac guts behind a BE face.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's probably Doug's reference you're talking about:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/lore/article.php?id=063

I've been reading this and trying to gain a better understanding so I can tackle it in the future. Right now i can read the words, but true understanding escapes me a bit. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A picture of the adaptor would be handy. If I can get the RVI tach I have to function, then I'll at least have a temporary solution to get me by for a while.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Here is a tach with some of the stuff, it is missing the nylon wire holder which I can't find right now.
Bill
-----------
OK!!!!

Attachments

• 4563-DSCN0219.JPG
    4563-DSCN0219.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 4564-DSCN0220.JPG
    4564-DSCN0220.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 130
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
To post a picture, use the "Reply" button, not the "Quick Reply." Once there, you will see a link for the "File Manager" which will allow you to add the picture.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
OK-- I screwed-up--
The tach is not wired as I said (wire from coil to distributer goes to tach and back). The wire should go straight from the coil to the distributer). The FEED wire from the ignition switch makes a detour to the tach and then to the coil (hot side obviously) and the short wire goes from the other side of the coil to the distributer.
Bill

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll have to hunt down one of those little nylon jobbies one of these days.

dklawson

Yoda
Drew, when you're ready to start the tach swap process feel free to email me. I'll be happy to help as best I can.

Billm, you were not wrong regarding the wiring. The RVI tachs go in series with the power flowing through the coil. There are two ways to do that. On cars where the RVI tachs were installed by the factory this was often as you described: Ignition switch, loop on back of gauge, out to the high-side of the coil. Where the RVI tachs were added later, it is easier to run a pair of wires through the firewall. One wire would go to the low side of the coil, back to the tach (formed into a loop on the back of the gauge), then back to the terminal on the side of the distributor. Effectively, that wiring scheme replaces the black/white wire that's normally between the coil and dizzy.

It's been posted before but it's worth repeating that RVI tachs are frequently unhappy when you've installed electronic ignitions. Assuming you've still got points and the caps haven't dried out, I'm sure it will work for you. I'm not sure about "three loops" on the back of the gauge as was mentioned earlier. I've only seen single loops on factory installed tachs but I have heard of some people getting better tach performance with two loops. Also, if the tach acts a little odd (but works), reverse the direction of the looped wire on the back of the tach.

Use the search feature of this board to look for other tach threads. I remember that within the past three months someone posted a thread about DIY bench calibration of RVI tachs using a signal you can create (safely) from the 60 Hz current in normal household outlets (perhaps using a little wall-wart transformer.