• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Solenoid Installed on J Overdrive and now no juice to the Solenoid.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did not pull the negative ground from the battery terminal. Replaced old J-type Solenoid in '74 TR6. Now experiencing no current to the Solenoid. Seems as if the electric current to the Solenoid was fine before I replaced the old one. Can anybody help? Where might there be a relay on my car? Blown fuse on my horn replaced, makes no difference. Any ideas what to look at? Don't forget, 2wrench is still on the novice side of mechanics. Thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
First thought : are you sure you reconnected the ground wire at the solenoid AND whereever it grounds to? Do you have the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear? Ignition on?

Your car would not have had a relay originally, tho it's certainly possible that someone added one. The wiring to the OD solenoid should be pretty simple, it gets power from the "green" fuse, through the operating switch on the steering column then through the "isolator" switch in the transmission top cover to the solenoid. Get everything set (key on, gearshift in 4th, column lever on) then use a voltmeter/DMM or a 12v test light to check for power at each point. Since I assume you still have the transmission cover out, I would probably start at the isolator switch.

PS, if memory serves, the steering column lever goes down to engage OD.

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR3driver;883308]First thought : are you sure you reconnected the ground wire at the solenoid AND whereever it grounds to? Do you have the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear? Ignition on?

Your car would not have had a relay originally, tho it's certainly possible that someone added one. The wiring to the OD solenoid should be pretty simple, it gets power from the "green" fuse, through the operating switch on the steering column then through the "isolator" switch in the transmission top cover to the solenoid. Get everything set (key on, gearshift in 4th, column lever on) then use a voltmeter/DMM or a 12v test light to check for power at each point. Since I assume you still have the transmission cover out, I would probably start at the isolator switch.

PS, if memory serves, the steering column lever goes down to engage OD.

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Okay. I'll get another test light tomorrow. Have to laugh, because I bought a cheap test light. Power went from like 8 to 12 volts or something. Just to see it work, I touched the posts on a fully charged RV-type battery. Must have over-shot the 12 volts, because it blew the light. One bright flash and it was done. I will say that I put power to the Solenoid and grounded it, of course, and I did hear a click, so it seems as if the Solenoid is trying to do its job. Strange experiences, as the electrical seemed to check fine before installation of the new Solenoid; but then, afterward, it seems to be fouled.