• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Seat Covers for MkII Sprite

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Hi
Wanted to know if anyone has had any issues fitting the new Moss/VB Vinyl seat cover kits to original seat foams> My '63 HAN7 MkII Sprite has the original covers and the foams are in very good condition. I made the mistake of trying to go cheap and bought a set from a private upholsterer on ebay. They look great, high quality out of the box but when I fit them there is way too much material in places so they would not be able to be stretched smooth. I took them to my upholstery guy and his trained eye pointed out uneven measurments and stitching. He told me he could get them to fit "better" but said they would not come out totally smooth. He/I do not think new foams would help this. So hard lesson learned Now I want to make sure. So beware of tempting deals on things like upholstery from unknown sources.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
What about adding foam pieces to take up the extra slack? For example, if the covers are too big in the seat front corners, add a couple of extra foam wedges to your original foams to fill the voids in the corners? That, plus your upholstery guy's judicious alterations, might do wonders. Very few reupholstery errors can't be fixed with extra stuffing.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought the same from ebay and had to add extra foam to stop from looking like "shoulders" instead of rounded. To me - it was the "cost" of going with a non stock color.

Geo

OP
M

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I did try extra foam stuffing but the skirt on the seat bottom just has so much material it would still end up being "bunched" On these the distance from the outer piping to the inner piping is different on each side, so no matter which way you pull it it ends up uneven. The seat back inner piping is sewn unevenly at each top corner which my guy showed how it would end up with wrinkles He knows what I want but also knows I would not be happy with the finished product. I'm thinking of taking advantage of one of the winter sales and just biting the bullet.

Thanks
Mike