• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Miata

A

aerog

Here's another link

I saw that a few days ago... I really don't like the stupid steering-wheel controls (and the wheel itself for that matter), and the cupholders are hideous. Heck, for that matter so are the gauges.

So... while there are likely to be countless "hurahs" from those who seem all too eager to cheer anything new, I for one am glad I have my "2nd gen" NB (as are several others in our club).

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I guess my reaction is, "Why couldn't they leave well-enough alone?".
The fact that they've "spoiled" it a bit bugs me, but overall, I'm glad they are keeping the same overall concept.
I was worried that they would ditch the two-seat roadster concept and call the RX-8 a "Miata". I guess they've tried to make the RX-8 and the Miata look more like "family" (unfortunatly, for the Miata).
My favorite Miata are the nice ,simple early 1600 cars, especially the ones that have been converted to fixed headlights (eliminating the pop-up lights).
It's interesting to read that some folks are glad the car is getting more power.....in my view, this is a clear indication that they don't "get" what the car is all about.

catfood

Jedi Knight
I think I have to disagree with most people in that I like the new design (with the exception of those dials and the 1970s brown interia). The MX5 (as its known in the UK) has always been seen as something of a hairdressers car so the new wheel arch flares and the general beefier appearance I think will sell it to a new market of younger male drivers in the UK and if it encourages people out of Hot Hatches and into open top motors it can only be a good thing.

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]

It's interesting to read that some folks are glad the car is getting more power.....in my view, this is a clear indication that they don't "get" what the car is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. I laugh when I hear the people crying about how horribly "underpowered" the previous cars are (MSM excepted I guess). If they want a muscle car they should buy one, this ain't (thank God) one of them.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I don't mind the look of the new car...but why, oh why must new models always get bigger, heavier and more expensive? That's what killed affordable sports cars 15 years ago.

The economical 240, 260, early 280Z eventually became the capable, but bloated and expensive 300ZX. Notice the successful 350Z is smaller, simpler and comparably less expensive (for now).

Look what happened to the Mitsubishi Eclipse. A once taut, capable, affordable sports car is now a cruiser with only a sporting look.

I didn't lose nearly 90 pounds to fit into a larger car, but so I could comfortably fit in a Miata, B or Mini (no kidding, that was really one one reason).

G

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well put. I laugh when I hear the people crying about how horribly "underpowered" the previous cars are (MSM excepted I guess). If they want a muscle car they should buy one, this ain't (thank God) one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I take a little offense at these remarks. I'm one of the people that would love to see a little more power in the Miata, and I'd hardly say that I "don't get it" otherwise why would I have bought an LBC in the first place. Would you also say that Carol Shelby "didn't get it" when he wanted a little more power in a two seat roadster and built the cobra? Is the cobra any less of a sports car than the A/C that it came from? If you were trying to install cruise control, power windows, and every driver aid known to man in an LBC then I would agree and say you didn't get it, but there's nothing wrong with wanting, and getting, more power. There's a big difference between a sports car and a muscle car, and these days engine output has little to do with it.

Rippthrough

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard engine is really a bit boring though. Just never seems to pick up, the 1800 anyway, haven't been in a 1600.
My Mum has one with my dad's old GT6 engine in it. Same (maybe slighlty more)power, but much smoother. Took him about a year to convert it though.

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I never heard of anyone putting a classic Brit engine in a modern Japanese car?

Rippthrough

He'd seen it somewhere before, that's where he got the idea. Seeing as the inline 6 is one of the few balanced engine configs, why they didn't use one in the first place I don't know. I think he had to tilt it to get it to fit though.

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
There's a big difference between a sports car and a muscle car, and these days engine output has little to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't my point. My point is - given time you'll inevitably read a myriad of whining comments from people who lament how "underpowered" the Miata is. Their attitude is from the street-racer and muscle-car perspective, ie:when someone stops next to you at a stop light in a souped-up super-charged V8 powered monster you should be able to (their words) "own them" with your Miata.

I'm not suggesting that modifying a vehicle to suit those needs is wrong, or shouldn't be done. Your Shelby remarks are precisely what Mazda tried to accomplish (well, sort of) with the MSM version of the Miata. But they did not(contrary to the "it's so underpowered crowd) try to appease the minority of car aficionados who think every "sportscar" sold is made for high-speed straight-line racing.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
In terms of the new car, I just think it looks a little bloated and not quite as sexy as the gorgeous '99 restyle.

As a tall guy, I appreciate anytime a car manufacturer adds interior room (seat travel, headroom and knee room.) But that interior is very cheap looking. I actually like the current one better.

And those cup holders? What happens when you shut the door for the first time with a cup of coffee in there!?!?

I don't think the Miata is underpowered. It's faster than a TR8 or Sunbeam Tiger, for god's sake! Plus it just loves to rev!

William

Darth Vader
I'm unsure about the styling as yet. I don't care at all for the grey that the picture car is painted, and I think that the panel line for the hood is odd. It's probably a much more color sensitive shape than the previous two generations...the NC may look better in black or other really dark colors (BRG, dark blue, etc.) than in that primer grey in the pics. It will not look good in classic red, yellow, smurf blue, or white, which is too bad.

As for growing/getting heavier, the first two generations have gained enough weight to make the standard engines feel decidedly sluggish. I drove a new one at the dealer last year, and it just felt slow and unenthusiastic (engine wise) compared to my worn out, stock '96, despite making quite a bit more power than my car.

The Miata has always been a very slow car, relatively speaking. Yes, it's faster than an MGB or whatever, but they have always struggled to keep up with most traffic off the line, unless you wind it up to redline at every traffic light. (at least that is my experience...most people in my area have lead feet and vastly more powerful vehicles than me. A stock Miata needs to be wound up in the first two gears to keep up much of the time. YMMV, and please no snide "you don't know how to drive" comments, or I'll make Bas insert a garden gnome into you!). More power was inevitable.

-Wm.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have to say that I much prefer the styling of the current model over the newer car, but the original Miata was a verry pretty car, but it would have to be, having been inspired by the Elan.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Triumph powered Miata. That's a new one. We want pics,We want pics,We want pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't my point. My point is - given time you'll inevitably read a myriad of whining comments from people who lament how "underpowered" the Miata is. Their attitude is from the street-racer and muscle-car perspective, ie:when someone stops next to you at a stop light in a souped-up super-charged V8 powered monster you should be able to (their words) "own them" with your Miata.

I'm not suggesting that modifying a vehicle to suit those needs is wrong, or shouldn't be done. Your Shelby remarks are precisely what Mazda tried to accomplish (well, sort of) with the MSM version of the Miata. But they did not(contrary to the "it's so underpowered crowd) try to appease the minority of car aficionados who think every "sportscar" sold is made for high-speed straight-line racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Scott, I get your point. It's just that when I initially read your comments they rubbed me the wrong way a little. I seem to be one of those few people around here who walks the line between being a muscle car freak and a sports car fanatic, both modern and vintage. I can see where your coming from though, I run into guys (and girls) with the attitude you speak of all the time on the Mustang board I frequent. In their eyes, if your car can't run the 1/4 in at least mid to low 13's, they won't even give it a second look. Like I said, I enjoy both the drags and a nice twisty road course, so I can appreciate the abilities, and limitations, and both types of cars. I would never expect a Miata to run the 1/4 with some of my past Mustangs or Chevys, and likewise I would never expect my old 72 SS Nova to run a road course anywhere near what the Miata would be capable of (if at all, that thing literally handled like a brick), but I still love both types of cars. I guess the key would be to find or build a car that could live in both worlds equally well, which is why I guess the Shelby Cobra was such a legendary success. You could take it to the road course and beat up on real sports cars, then go to the drag and let that big 427 really scream. However, I have heard from people that have driven real Cobras that the 289 cars were more "pure" and better balanced cars, but I would still love to have that big block on tap. With todays technology though you could build a small block cobra replica with big block power, so it seems you could have the best of both worlds.

Rippthrough

[ QUOTE ]
Triumph powered Miata. That's a new one. We want pics,We want pics,We want pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it's new tbh, there's loads of Miata powered Truimphs around, why not the other way round?

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Actually I like the new design. I do understand some of the weight gain as companies work to meet Fed safety requirements. Considering the prototype that they unveiled last year, this is fairly restrained.

Still, it confirms my instinct to pick up a nice little '91 model as a future classic. The LBC in my life will have to wait until braces and college are no longer an issue.