• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member and some questions...

cl_miata

Hi everyone, well to start, im only 18, but am quite a car enthusiast... my first car was a Buick Reatta, then I had a Land Rover Discovery, then a Mercury Capri, and then a Mazda Miata... all of which were cars I wanted to own, but on my top ten list, MG midget is number 2, and as of monday I am the owner of a 1969 MG Midget. I bought it from PA and live in MI.... I have got it running ok, have a new master cylinder coming in next week, but my brake lights are not working. Running lights do though. I ordered a new brake light switch... but cant seem to figure out how to remove the old one... I loosen the locking nut but nothing becomes loose?? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Brian, and welcome to the Forum!

Four cars already, and you're only 18 - you're gonna fit in here quite nicely!

I don't remember any particular trick with the lights on my MGB, which are the same as on yours. Someone else with more info will probably chime in here soon.

Oh, and for chat and info specific to the Midget, you should post in the "Spridget" section.

Good luck with your new toy!

Mickey

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Brian, If the midget is the same as a MGB, then the brake light switch should screw out after you loosen the locking nut. If it doesn't then it must be frozen in place. A couple drops of penetrating oil soaking on it for a while might free it up. PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
Welcome to the forum Brian, If the midget is the same as a MGB, then the brake light switch should screw out after you loosen the locking nut. If it doesn't then it must be frozen in place. A couple drops of penetrating oil soaking on it for a while might free it up. PJ

OOPS! Paul's had more coffee than me this morning! Thought you were talking about the light assemblies.

Gotta refill my cup now! :blush:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome!

Paul is right...unscrew the switch after loosening the lock nut.

You might also want to test the new switch before putting it in (with a multi-meter or similar device). I have noticed that the new replacement brake switchs that most vendors sell for these cars seem to be of very low quality (others here have mentioned that too).
So just check it first before putting it in (I had to repair one of my new switchs before installing it in my race car). After that, I rebuilt the old switch when my other car (MGB) needed one.

I have a Miata and a Midget too (plus other stuff).

G'luck!

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
X2 - If you can find an original NOS LUCAS switch it would be much better. The originals are much better. The replacements are poorly made with a very iffy switch setup inside them. A friend took an original and a replacement apart to compare after going through two or three in a year, and it was amazing what was inside. We all went out and got LUCAS switches to keep for spares after that.

Country flag
Wait. Is this the switch on the pedal box? If so, the pedal box must be loosened and lifted for clearance. (it is really a poor and aggravating design).

Try to save the old switch to take apart and clean. It will most likely work better than the replacement unit.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
scoutll said:
X2 - If you can find an original NOS LUCAS switch it would be much better. The originals are much better. The replacements are poorly made with a very iffy switch setup inside them. A friend took an original and a replacement apart to compare after going through two or three in a year, and it was amazing what was inside. We all went out and got LUCAS switches to keep for spares after that.

Ok, now that's disturbing. Running out to get LUCAS anything because it's "high quality". :smile:

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the forum. You'll find the 1275 in your car is a strong motor that can take about any mod you decide to do. Careful though, it can get contagious and become a lifetime issue. Also, this site's members have a world of knowledge and will freely share it with you. Welsome again and enjoy.

RickB

Yoda
Welcome to Spridget ownership and the forum!

You can use the replacement switch but I strongly recommend the use of a relay. This is what has kept my brake lights working after replacing the switch a few times.

One time the switch failed mechanically but the other failures were all electrical, using the relay means you are not passing much current through the switch which helps it last longer.

scoutll said:

I got a b-lite switch for my 75 (on the pedal box) from BPNW, it is slightly different in the fact that is was actually round and not oblong, This made it possible to change without loosening the peal box, It was ordered as a lucas switch.HTH

mark

PS Welcome to the forum!

OP
C

cl_miata

Hi everyone, thanks for the info... well what got me confused is I loosed the nut.. then tried unscrewing the switch, only the switch swivels on the shank that comes out of it... so from reading here im gonna say thats not good lol. I ordered my switch from Moss Motors... ive dealt with them with miata parts with good luck so figured might as well stick with them for my newly acquired midget. Currently am repairing my floorboards which are (were) almost non-existent... the passenger seat was falling thru on the back. I dont have the proper welding equipment, and of coursing being a poor college student left me without paying a shop, so I had my dad help me out with the "sheet metal and tar" technique... sandwiched the old falling apart floorboards between good grade metal, with tar and nuts and bolts together, and fastened the new metal to the sides / the cross member in the middle of the floor.... sorta doing the same for the passenger side, hoping it will last a few years until I get to replacing the whole thing... and I didnt want to spend to much so far sine the front passenger frame rail in front of the engine is rusted to the point that it does not exist. Need to make sure the car is still salvageable with all that frame rust.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
JodyFKerr said:
scoutll said:

Ok, now that's disturbing. Running out to get LUCAS anything because it's "high quality". :smile:

:lol: I never thought of that... That is quite funny, considering the years and years of joked about Lucas parts.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nothing wrong with Lucas, nothing at all.

Just remember how old most of it is, and dirty, and coroded, and worn, and it just keeps going.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Nothing wrong with Lucas, nothing at all.

Just remember how old most of it is, and dirty, and coroded, and worn, and it just keeps going.

I agree with you Jack. A lot of folks talks down Lucas. I guess their original parts are supposed to last, let's say, 60 years before needing replacing and not the 35 or 40 they have. I wonder how long the newer high tech vehicles will keep running?

OP
C

cl_miata

Well.... My dad had a NEW MG Midget and a NEW Austin (classic) Mini... both gave electrical problems from lucas... if you look at GM cars from the same decades... AC Delco is a much superior brand at electrical items (friend had a1974 Buick Lesabre Convertible, not one problem)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh forgot to say as well. No one ever took care of it. Tough to be Lucus and unloved but for a few of us.

Miss Agatha loves her Lucus bits especally the part about I can restore them.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Hey Brian! Nice to see a (young) local on here!

I am in Sterling Heights and am 28. I have a '68 Sprite that currently has no front suspension - major suspension kit (kingpins and bushings and whatnot) are on national backorder :-(

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and good deal about the Midget!

I am going in the same direction you are. The body on mine is fairly rough, but I got it running decent. I'm working on suspension and brakes now. I plan to tackle it system by system until I get to body work. Easy enough to drop the refurb'd suspension off it in a couple of years and take care of the rust and whatnot. My rear spring boxes were shady at best so I made teo plates to sandwich it and stiffen the car up - grade 8 bolts with a 1/4" plate on the bottom and a 3/16" plate on the top. It's stronger than new now!

OP
C

cl_miata

HAHA, ya gotta get that strength up... Took found even more rust holes today in the passenger floor pan... and a ant hive, and the metal around the bottom door hinge is about 80% gone... this car is looking more and more like it is going to have to become a parts car soon....if not, then I have to get it all ready for Woodward next month