• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A New Comer with a recently purchased TR4a

Earthcruiser

Freshman Member
Hello all,

I just purchaced my first british car. It is a 1965 TR4A w/ a solid rear axle. It was a barnfind and been sitting for well over 20 years. The drivetrain looks good and the body fair w/ minor very minor surface rust. I have already cleaned out the layer of dirt and am evaluating my next steps. Can anyone tell me what the "L" at the end of the Vin means. Thanks for any future support.

V/r

Rod

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Rod - welcome to BCF!

That "L" just means left hand drive. The really lucky guys also have an "O", which means overdrive on the transmission.

You are at THE SOURCE for Triumph info and assistance.

Tom in Connecticut
PS - we like pictures ....

PeterK

Yoda
Sounds like the one I bought in 97 that still sits in my shop. It's a long process when you buy one in boxes and take the rest of it apart.

Best advice from me : Take a lot of photos as you work and especially as you take things apart. And try not to take too much apart (like me) or it will take even longer.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Earthcruiser said:
...I just purchaced my first british car... am evaluating my next steps...

1. Do the brakes.
2. Start engine.
3. Drive.

Seriously, whatever level of restoration you ultimately aim for, these 3 steps aren't a bad way to begin.

PS: If you haven't already -- join your local club. I do not recall where in the Centennial State Palmer Lake would be but the Rocky Mtn Triumph club has a fine reputation.

https://www.rockymountaintr.org/

PPS: If you need a goal for roadworthiness -- check the link to the 2011 VTR on their site.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Rod!

Any ideas on condition of the engine and rest of the drive train?

If you have already done so, some oil or MMO into the bores is a really good idea.

rustbucket

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
tdskip said:
If you have already done so, some oil or MMO into the bores is a really good idea.

FYI, MMO= Marvel Mystery Oil. That one took me a while to figure out when I first got here with Ol' Rustbucket.

Watch out, these things have a way of multiplying in your garage if you're not careful!

OP
E

Earthcruiser

Freshman Member
I have attached a pic taken just before I initial moved the car. Thank you all for your advise and warm welcome. I look forward to repairing this car to roadworthiness.

Attachments

• 23458.gif
    23458.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 298

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome! Fortunately for you, you are in the heart of the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club's stomping grounds. It is one of the premier Triumph clubs in the country.

OP
E

Earthcruiser

Freshman Member
First order is out of the way. I have titled the car. After a few extra pieces of paper, a little money, the TR4 is all mine. Secondly, I pulled the 21 year old plus battery out. I'm on the quest for brakes now. Thanks for the support in advance. BTW is anyone in the Colorado Springs/Castle Rock area? Thanks again.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Man.. wish you were closer. I've got a bunch of 66 4A solid axle stuff that needs to go cheap.
Nice car, enjoy! and welcome.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dale said:
Welcome! Fortunately for you, you are in the heart of the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club's stomping grounds. It is one of the premier Triumph clubs in the country.
Plus of course the host for the 2011 Vintage Triumph Register National Convention in Breckenridge, CO, Aug 17-21.

Welcome to the asylum, Rod.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Welcome Rod! Glad to see another TR4A rescued!

Scott

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Looking at that picture is like looking at my kids baby pictures. they are so cute when they are helpless. but when thy evolve they are just like teenagers. full of power and unpredictable! welcome rod.

swift6

Yoda
Earthcruiser said:
BTW is anyone in the Colorado Springs/Castle Rock area? Thanks again.

I'm in the Fort Collins/Loveland area. Like Dale said though, you are in the heart of the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club country. They are a very active club with over 200 members and as said above, hosting the 2011 Vintage Triumph Register National Convention. There are a good number of members much closer to you than I am. But welcome to the BCF!

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome, great choice of car, you'll find a wealth of info here and some very very sharp gearheads.