• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Need to see GT6 Mk1 Throttle linkage

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
I can't get this right in my mind, and already made one nasty mistake because of it, but I can't figure out how to connect the throttle butterflies to the accelerator pedal for our GT6 Mk1.

The car came with the Mk2 Zenith CDSE carbs on it, which used a totally different linkage that fits between the carbs, but the new correct Zenith CD carbs I picked up apparently connects between the rear carb and the firewall.

After consulting the Victoria British catalog, I was confused enough to try to fit the Mk2 linkage on my Mk1 carbs, since according to their catalog, that's what was right for the car. Unfortunately it doesn't work, because the butterfly that butts against the choke on the rearward carb interferes with the bracket at the bottom. More unfortunately, the plastic end piece from the original linkage (straight linkage between the throttle butterflies) didn't survive the attempt, so I have to source a new one of those as well. I finally found a picture that seems to show a solid rod between the accelerator pedal and the arm on the rear side of the rear carb, but based on how the pedal actuates, I can't make sense of how that works.

Can anyone post pictures of the linkage for a GT 6 Mk1 that doesn't use the large bracket that connects between the two carburetors?

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Richter, Didn't want you to think anyone was ignoring your post. My Mk.1 is a late year '68 and uses that "large bracket" you're referring to. As far as that plastic piece "not surviving the attempt", they typically just break on their own. When my went, I replaced it with one from a TR4/4A. It didn't take much of a fabrication to substitute as I recall, although that was some 20yrs+ ago.

ArcticOne

Can send some pics by email, but unable to post any on this forum as I don't have them presently on a website.

jb

OP
R

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
PM sent, thanks! Sorry, I'm bad on this forum, because most of the other forums I'm a member of automatically subscribe you to your own posts, and I keep forgetting here.

OP
R

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
Thank you very much! After looking at the pictures, someone has cut up and modified the throttle arm on my GT6 Mk1 in order to fit the Mk2 type linkage, so I'll have to figure out whether I'm going to just cut off their welding and weld on my own piece to fit, or what.

For future searchers, here are pictures from ArcticOne's car that show what it SHOULD look like:

mk1-accel1.jpg

mk1-accel2.jpg

mk1-accel3.jpg

mk1-accel4.jpg

dklawson

Yoda
Sorry... I've been ill for days and away from the board or I would have responded. The pictures you posted above look very much like the linkage on our GT6.

Which part did the previous owner modify? Did they modify the flat arm welded to the horizontal rod... or did they modify the vertical rod with the rod ends on it?

OP
R

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
They modified the flat arm on my car - these pictures are from ArcticOne's car, which look like they're designed to work together

On mine, the arm probably started off that way, but it was cut in two places and welded together. I can't get the arm piece off, so it looks like I'll have to cut and weld something else back on to make it work again.

dklawson

Yoda
I'll try and get some measurements for you of the unaltered arm on our car.

If I can make a tracing or measured sketch you should be able to make a duplicate and then perhaps tack weld it to what is left of the original arm on your car.

OP
R

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
That'd be awesome. I can't get that arm out without pulling the engine, and I can't get that pin out to remove that piece, so this isn't going to be any fun whatsoever.

dklawson

Yoda
PM sent with link to a sketch of the arm shown in the pics above.

Footnote: On our car the little ball joint is tightened securely to the arm and the spring is hooked around the ball stem on the other side than shown above.