• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need Thoughts

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, I've come to the hard decision that the it has come to the time that the 6 should find a new place to call home.
I need to figure out what a good starting point for money on this is.
I usually don't sell parts and just give them away so not up on pricing
My 6
DSCF3051.jpg

71 Last driven 1997.
complete new suspension and brakes all PC;d
wheels trued and PC'd
Motor bottom end balanced lightened and new pistons and all parts.
Lightened Flywheel
TSI camshaft, 9.5:1 TSI head and springs
New SU's
Rebuilt original Stroms
Early and late ceramic coated Intake
Ceramic coated Falcon exhaust
Ceramic coated TT headers
Dan Masters Wiring panel finished and Taped.
Carter fuel pump not in stalled
Electric Fan
Redone dash.
Also comes with new
Fenders,inner and outer rockers and caps,floors uninstalled
Has new bonnet,never installed, new boot lid installed ,new door skins installed,
rechromed Fr. and Rr bumpers
And many more parts
Interior needs carpet and put together.
Motor has not run since built in 02 or so

What do you guys think ??

swift6

Yoda
Sorry to hear it Don. I used to consider my TR6 a "forever car" too until I couldn't spend more than 1/2 an hour behind the wheel without incurring a back spasm. My wedge won out in the end for the comfort as well as the fun factor. When I sold my TR6 after 20 years of care and feeding I was more interested in finding a good home for it. I probably could have gotten a bit more than I did when I sold it if I had gone nation wide but was satisfied with the sale.

I looked at cars advertised both locally and nationaly on Craigslist as well as eBay and then listed it with what I thought was a fair price but was willing to deal with the right owner. The market seems to be a bit better this year than last year but it is still about finding the right buyer at the right time. You've done many modes that most people want to do so that should play in your favor, but still don't expect to get what a "concourse correct" car would pull.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy, hard to get a price from those guides. I never started it after the motor was installed as I was constantly change horses in the middle of the river and I have all those extra parts and this is by no means a concourse or original car

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
DNK said:
...What do you guys think ??

I think cars that run and can be driven will always be easier to sell and fetch much much more than an unfinished project -- even a project that has well-documented quality work thus far.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
George ,I'm not looking for concourse bucks,No that the fact it is a pusher will lower the value. Figger it would take someone about a day to get it running.
But I appreciate the feed back,thanks.

D

Deleted member 8987

I thought the 6 was in process of EFI when I saw it last?
How much work to make it run?

D

Deleted member 8987

And, if you're going to make it run, do I need to schedule some time over there?

I am being annexed in a couple of weeks, and at this point it appears my home business might have to go away, so I may have some time.....

Left a message on yer cell at noon.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sent you a PM

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don, I agree that should be running. That fact only adds to the value. Not running drops the value like a rock.

D

DougF

And if you hear it run, you may be reminded why you originally bought it.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear it Don, but when that time comes usually best to just get it done. I agree that if she is running you'll recoup more money.

Do the floors and inner fenders need to be replaced?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, Don, if I were interested in buying a car that didn't run, even though it had some attractive features and upgrades, I'd want a considerable cushion to get it runnung again.
In the back of my mind would be concerns about the clutch, tranny and brakes as well, because there was no test drive.
Understand, please, I'm not talking about myself, just playing "devils advocate".

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hear you on getting it running, but..., it's been in the same state for 2 years and I have another car that is in this state
DSCF6435.jpg

And I need to finish it.
If we are called to move it will be very sudden. I will be so busy getting my house ready to sell I would probably just give the 6 away

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
Also comes with new
Fenders,inner and outer rockers and caps,floors uninstalled
Has new bonnet,never installed,

So it needs all that body work done? Doesn't look it from photo.

Woodie is looking at one for $6,000 driving with it done.

If you move box it up and ship it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don,

Why do you tempt me like that?

- Doug

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I would like to give you some sob story and tell you I would take care of your baby and give it a good home. And I would out of the goodness of my heart take it off your hands for free. It would be a great project for me and my 2 sons. BLA BLA BLA.

Your in a tuff spot, I hope you can at least recover some of your costs. If you want I can make it disappear in plains of Minnesota.

I think the guys have given you some good advise and it may be worth a couple hours to get it running.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Probably more than a couple of hours, Tom, but if it takes 15 hours and Don gets 3000 dollars more because the car runs, he's made 200 dollars an hour for working on his own car.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
sail said:
So it needs all that body work done? Doesn't look it from photo.

If you move box it up and ship it.

Actually it doesn't. Long ago Moss UK was having a great sale.
I bought the bonnet 2 fenders, boot lid, and 2 door skins for $950
Picked the floors up off eBay a couple years ago

poolboy said:
Probably more than a couple of hours, Tom, but if it takes 15 hours and Don gets 3000 dollars more because the car runs, he's made 200 dollars an hour for working on his own car.

Ken, if I do the work then when the tank goes in all the paint in that area would have to be stripped from there and primed and repainted.
I can't do something have way.
Then I would rip out the fuel lines and run the FI lines for it. Then I would have to get the FI ready.

So on and So on

Kind of the way I'm wired

Here's the painted bonnet
DSCF6132.jpg