• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need things to do

Burrell22

Freshman Member
Anybody have a list of mostly money free easy things to do on my tr4? Im bored but wanna do some stuff to clean up/ tune

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wash it :cheers:

On the serious side, you could set the valves to get it ready for the driving season.... total cost FREE

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Burrell22 said:
...Im bored but wanna do some stuff...

In my experience driving it will inevitably lead to 'Things to do'.

I suppose if you posted a picture of your engine bay we could pretend it is a ebay listing with a starting bid of $20K and point out all the things that should be done.

Lubing the rear springs is totally free (used oil) and the sort of thing I do when absolutely everything else is caught up.

OP
Burrell22

Burrell22

Freshman Member
i dont think there is much to be done, new rear shock aborbers, completely rebuilt front end, washed and waxed, rubber protecant put on all seals, vinyl condit on vinyl, leather is conditioned, full tank of gas, oil changed, new rear end and preload set, radiator painted, every joint greased.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One thing I see in car shows that is forgotten is the inside of the wheels, it's very time consuming but not a big cost. It's really noticeable on the wire wheels.

Wayne

OP
Burrell22

Burrell22

Freshman Member
34eoy1j.jpg

1h9zyo.jpg

106hnkh.jpg

33tkm0m.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How about running those wires on top of the radiator cowl under and across the front valance, much neater and where they need to go.

wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice -- but not w/o some possible projects.

That short hose to the top of the radiator would have been an 'accordion' or 'bellows' style to reduce transmitting engine movement & vibration to the radiator. A solid hose there could present some long-term problems.

I do not see a back-up system for if (when) the bonnet release cable breaks. I just use a simple second cable though there are also lever systems sold. Good insurance.

Switching the horns left & right will get them pointing forward and creating more effective sound.

<span style="font-style: italic">Oops, I said horns... but you have only one (and it should be on the drivers side methinks). The use of two horns creates a high/low discordant sound that is more effective than just getting louder.</span>

Adding relays (if you haven't already) to the headlamps will take a load off the dash switch, make your lights brighter and permit the use of higher power lamps (I use H4s).

Gee, this is fun. There's more but I'll let others speak up too.

BTW -- Your engine must not rock like mine if you can get by with air cleaners that close to the inner wing.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I think I saw a speck of dust in the third pic........
you could just trade with me. then you'd have a never ending list of things to do... Oh, wait, you said money-free things.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
The nerve of some people having such a nice-looking car. :smile:

Very nice and I'd love to see some outside and interior shots!

Scott

OP
Burrell22

Burrell22

Freshman Member
haha i didnt do this to show off :laugh:. im just bored and wanting something to do on it.

ever since the car was built its leaked oil bad, but its been gettin worse. i crawled under it to take a look. its leaking around the gas pump oil pan, rear main seal( of course slingers suck) crankcase tube oil filter adapter, every hole it can.

and ill take some pics of the whole thing and post them in pictures.

this is really my grandfathers car that my dad built, so cleaning falls to me- i keep this thing spotless... haha

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jeez, I thought you were done and was going to offer you your choice of my cars to work on....

BTW, your car looks great!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, there you have it. You can work on at least some of those leaks for little or no money. Cut a nice, extra thick fuel pump gasket from the backing for a legal pad with a sharp knife. Pull the crankcase tube out and carve a piece of wood to use to expand the end, then clean the hole and smear with Permatex before reinstalling the tube. Make sure the little support link is in place. Etc.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drive IT!

G

JFeher said:
Honestly,
If it were mine I'd be wearing the tires out.

Russ Austin said:
Drive IT!

X3

Wear it out! :driving:

What good is something like that if you don't enjoy it?

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll find something for you to do once you get back home.
grin.gif

If you are really bored and have to have something to do, run a compression test to see if you broke any rings or a piston running it on pump gas.

M

Member 10617

Seriously... I recommend that if you have room in your garage that you find a TR3 or a TR2 and restore it to the high level that you've gotten your '4 to. Drive one and work on the other. That way, you don't have the pressure of having to complete the '2 or '3 in order to enjoy them.

You've got a beautiful car there! Always encouraging to see these cars brought up to and kept in such great shape. For me it's a matter of "historic preservation" as much as car restoration.