• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NEED ELVA WHEELS

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Well as long as Dale is looking I may as well give it a try as well:

I'm looking for one or more magnesium wheels that will fit my 1958 Courier. The wheels that I currently have are the Elva magnesiums, 15 x 4.5 with a 4 x 4" bolt circle. The studs are 3/8" and the wheels are not countersunk for usual lug nuts--I use aircraft locknuts but nylocks will work just as well. I have no spare and will buy one or four if available.

Best--Michael Oritt, Courier 100/15-L

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Has the house settled??

[/ QUOTE ]

We move into a rental house in Solomons tomorrow, then I go to AHCA Conclave in Akron on Sunday, then I return and we settle on June 28. Then, assuming the engine goes back together as planned I get to run the Elva at BeaverRun and PVGP.
I don't have a spare so I had better not get a flat during the races!

Exciting times--Michael

D

Deleted member 3577

Most people have switched to the MGA rear end because of the well known Spridget problems.

I still have the original rear end and like it after all the upgrades.

Still....It has the 4" bolt circle rather than the 4 1/4" circle that the MGA has.

This guy makes magnesium Elva wheels. https://www.leechapmanracing.com/wheel.htm

(The 4" ones where not available last year..Let me know if you call him, he said he would do a run of the ones you want)

BTW.....A guy running a red Elva last year at PVGP said he wanted to sell a set......
I gave him my #, but he never got back to me.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
This guy makes magnesium Elva wheels. https://www.leechapmanracing.com/wheel.htm

(The 4" ones where not available last year..Let me know if you call him, he said he would do a run of the ones you want)

BTW.....A guy running a red Elva last year at PVGP said he wanted to sell a set......
I gave him my #, but he never got back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave--

I spoke with Lee Chapman a few months back and he said the same thing. Michael Clifford, at whose shop my car now is located, took one of my wheels over to Chapman's and the upshot of the conversation seems to be that he is not making any for a while. I have exchanged some email with Roger Dunbar in the UK (Elva Racing) and he seems to say that he can help me--I need to give him further details about wheel offsets, etc. etc.

If that guy ever calls you and you want to split a set or send him on to me please let me know--I have no spare and if I get a flat (or worse) I am outa gas.

I'm signed up for both Beaver Run and PVGP--Clifford is optimistic that the car will be together on time. I sure hope so.

Best--Michael Oritt

D

Deleted member 3577

Do you have your old wheels?

What I did for originality was take the centers out of the old rims & have 5" rims welded to the centers.

The old Elva disk wheels have 12 rivets holding the centers to the rim, so it is easy to remove. (3 per 90 degrees)

Then I sent them to this place https://www.stocktonwheel.com/wheel_widening.htm
( 5" rims, 5" backspace & they have the stock centers)

You can even put the original hubcaps on and make it a "sleeper"

60_Elva_Courier_MKII_DV_05_PVGP_01.jpg

I'll see if I can find the guy I talked to last year about the rims.
He said he wanted $ 1,500.00 for all 4 ( a great deal but too rich for me right now)

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave--

I'm looking for one or more of the Elva cast magnesium wheels to match the four that I have on the car.

See photo attached for details--dunno if the letters are legible but it says E-L-V-A on the spokes.

Attachments

• 223388-IMG_0285(Small).JPG
    223388-IMG_0285(Small).JPG
    42 KB · Views: 82
D

Deleted member 3577

Yep.....Those are the ones.

You say they are 4 1/2" (not 5") X 15" with a 4x4" bolt circle.

What is the backspacing.....I'm guessing 4 1/2"

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You say they are 4 1/2" (not 5") X 15" with a 4x4" bolt circle. What is the backspacing.....I'm guessing 4 1/2"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave--

I'll have to wait to confirm the offset/backspacing--car is in NY and I am in MD. This, plus the wheel thickness, is what Dunbar wants to know. Meanwhile if you have a line on that fellow selling the wheels I would appreciate knowing.

Best--Michael