• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need a set of Spats??

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a set of Spats for your TR3 on e-bay. The seller claims there are only five known sets in the world. Is that true??

Personally, I don't like the look. Maybe that's why there weren't many sold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I must agree. They make the car weird. Of thats my humble opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
fugly

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
bottom mounted lucus

i got them on ebay......

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I bet there are a fair share of TR2-3 owners who covet those spats. They are the real deal, and btw are being sold by Bill Lynn who among other things has been a big TR enthusiast, contributes to VTR, despite having a debilitating stroke at a very early age.

Never met the gent, but I have no doubt those are quality pieces and very rare being offered by a long time enthusiast.

Randy

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

I've seen very similar fender spats on a TR2/3 at a car show and personally would love to have a set on a TR2/3. (Heck, first I'd love to have the TR2/3!)

Pretty sure the ones I saw were custom-made replicas, but they were very "retro" and seemed quite appropriate for the overall style of the car. I couldn't imagine them working with the body lines of any later TRs, but, IMHO, they did quite nicely with the TR2/3.

But, hey, that's just my opinion. To each his own!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Wow...Deja vu! I've known Bill for years but never realized he had these on the TR2 at one time. Thing is, I'll wager I know exactly where he got them, based on the Q&A in the auction listing.

I was at the VTR National Convention in Michigan (near Troy) in 1985. There was a guy there who had an original pair of spats for sale, along with other bits. I couldn't afford the spats then, but I did buy a TR2/3 Spare Parts Catalogue from him. I was leafing through it about an hour later when I realized that a page was missing: the very page he had next to the spats! I ran back, found him, and managed to retrieve that page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ah, memories....

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I always referred to the aluminum pieces on the bottom front of the rear fender as the "spats" . I would call those covers "skirts". But I'm not the expert there. I guess properly they are called "guards" and "Spats" respectivly.
I definatly don't want those for my TR2. I think they look funny.
Besides, I already got a set on the Jag.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Funny how there listed, In the Triumph Sports Car parts catalog there are listed as Rear wheel covers. In the TSOA there listed as Rear Wing Spats also in the Accessories for Triumph TR2 there are again listed as Rear Wheel Cover Kit.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh something I just thought about, I know the the rear wheel covers (spats, Skirts)are very rare. How bout the fitted luggage, I have never seen either.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Alan,

Was that at the Palo Alto meet?

- Doug

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...How bout the fitted luggage, I have never seen either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen that item and it is an interesting piece. It was when I lived in Orange Couny (CA) -- one of the local club members had it.

I think one could create something similar out of plywood with approiate upholstery & fittings. Biggest drawback may be that it really fills the boot... where would I put the tools & parts?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Spats went for $4050 - looks like somebody wanted them pretty badly!

Randy

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Spats went for $4050 - looks like somebody wanted them pretty badly!

Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

And his reserve, according to his Q&A, was only $399!

Glad he made a few bucks on 'em.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm getting up from the floor now, WOW WOW WOW. Two people bid over $4000. for them. I bet Bill is dancing all over the place, rightfuly so. Dance on Bill!

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
holy schmolies! $4050....

Spats for the price of a pretty darn good paint job....

They must be going on the next $90,000 TR3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Alan,

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Doug,

Yes, it was, Fall 2005. If I recall correctly, the same car had a metal half-cover on the cockpit. I wasn't as wild about that. I did think the spats/skirts looked nice on it.

Wow! Over $4000! At that price, I'll have to decide between a set of spats or a car to hang them on!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Wow, for that kind of money, I'd think one could probably locate enough original Sheffield sheet steel, pay an old-time craftsman enough to perfectly replicate the spats, and still have enough to make an extrusion mold for the beading! Perhaps replicas are in the future plans of the buyer?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alan,

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it was, Fall 2005. If I recall correctly, the same car had a metal half-cover on the cockpit. I wasn't as wild about that. I did think the spats/skirts looked nice on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This the car?

aero-tr3a.JPG

As for the $4K spats... in addition to being several times what I paid for my 3A I recall a well-known TR used parts vendor who offered me a set a year or two ago for a couple of hundred. Maybe I'll check back with him on that. Might have been repros, but I've never seen a set of repro spats available. Bill has a good reputation but that claim of only 5 sets in the world had me shaking my head.