• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nasty Thoughts - Driving Impressions

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
After all the work done to perform my engine swap, you might well ask, "Was it worth it?" After logging some miles on the Nasty Boy, I am happy to report it totally was. Despite the fact my BJ7 had a ported head, Isky cam and triple HD8s, I felt the performance never lived up to the expectations created by the Jerry Coker lines. Hence the transplant. My goal was to do a period motor swap ... as if a Healey guy in 1966 went out to create a "poor man's Cobra" and managed to snag a 271 hp HiPo Mustang motor (as it turned out, I ended up with a 345 hp motor, but let's not quibble about a little more hp). It was to be a engine and transmission swap only. No huge flairs, wide wheels or anything else that wouldn't keep the Healey lines all Healey. The 72 spoke wires would stay as would the stock rear end with 3.54 Lempert gears.

The AC Ace, on which the Cobra was based had a 0-60 time of 9.1 sec, which compares to a 9.3 time of a BJ7. Once it was Cobraized with the Ford 289, the Ace's 0-60 time dropped to 5.2 sec. It totally transformed the car, and the results have been similar with the Nasty Boy. The engine/transmission combo is lighter, so handling has improved. And the acceleration is truly impressive. Out of respect for the wire wheels and splines, I'm not going to be doing any smoky tire burnouts and standing starts, but with a moderate start and rolling into the throttle the acceleration just pushes you back into the seat. My daily driver is a 425 hp Chrysler SRT8 and the Healey acceleration feels much quicker. Otherwise, it drives like a Healey. It's just not some nightmarish out-of-control beastie.

I wanted to put these few words together because it seems we spend way more time describing what we do getting our cars ready to drive and not so much on what they are like once we get to drive them. Hope this gives you a window into Nasty Boy driving.

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This is interesting Rick. One of the things I always admired about a Healey was its balance. It seemed to me that its power and handling all seemed to mesh fairly well. The idea of dropping in a much more powerful engine is tempting to say the least, but it introduces the concept of weak links. Are your brakes up to it? What is the effect on top end speed?

I like that you kept the look intact but whenever you make such a big change it then becomes how and when do you decide to stop the improvements? Isn't there a downside to the new imbalance of components? Maybe this is a matter of opinion or driving style, I don't know....

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is interesting Rick. One of the things I always admired about a Healey was its balance. It seemed to me that its power and handling all seemed to mesh fairly well. The idea of dropping in a much more powerful engine is tempting to say the least, but it introduces the concept of weak links. Are your brakes up to it? What is the effect on top end speed?

I like that you kept the look intact but whenever you make such a big change it then becomes how and when do you decide to stop the improvements? Isn't there a downside to the new imbalance of components? Maybe this is a matter of opinion or driving style, I don't know....

Tom,

I think a lot has to do with driving style. If I drove this car like a Cobra replica or on track, I could quickly outrun the performance capabilities. But that's not my intention. I have stock brakes with upgraded pads, but may well upgrade to the Toyota calipers in the future. Because I've kept the original tire and wheel set up, this limits the amount of acceleration and braking force that can be put to the ground.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's just not some nightmarish out-of-control beastie.:highly_amused:

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Hey Rick,

i have always admired your work. The Healey turned out great.

Ken

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey Rick,

i have always admired your work. The Healey turned out great.

Ken

Thanks, Ken, as I yours. I met Ken online on FFcars.com, a forum for Factory Five Cobra builders. I looked into building a Daytona Coupe but the cost and registration hassles in Massachusetts made the Healey swap more viable. That forum was really helpful in my build as the driveline combo is one used by a lot of Factory Five builders. Good bunch of guys, too.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like it! I think knock off alloys would take care of your wheel concerns. I agree on the bigger front disc brakes.

Bill,

I gave some thought to the alloys, however I think the real weak link is the spline drive and not the wires themselves. My favorite application of hot rodder technology is Tom Schnerk's (aka "Tom Torque") big block Olds swap he performed in 1957:

9ar509.jpg

In order to keep the wires, Tom welded circular steel plates to the back of the wheels and passed Grade 8 bolts between the plates and wheel hub:

oh0rc.jpg

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On Rudge pattern centre lock wheels (such as are fitted to English sports cars) isn't it the taper that does the driving, not the splines? If the splines are worn, then the knock-on hubcaps are not tight enough.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Rick,
He's a true "Nasty Boy" (guess converted Healey's are he's )- have always admired the job you did and your pictures of the progress. Great to hear it has turned out to be as much fun as you hoped !
Have fun with it,
Mike

PS - like the way you cruise down that section of highway to make sure no federales, then turn around to, shall we say, exercise the beast ! Do the same thing with my 100M on a causeway between a swing bridge and another island so I can wind 'er out occasionally !!!

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
PS - like the way you cruise down that section of highway to make sure no federales, then turn around to, shall we say, exercise the beast ! Do the same thing with my 100M on a causeway between a swing bridge and another island so I can wind 'er out occasionally !!!

Thanks for the compliment, Mike. One nice thing about this forum is there's room for all types from concours to modifieds and that forum members are respectful to others even if something isn't to their taste. The "federales" were part of it. The other part is that is the road to Crane Beach in Ipswich, MA https://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma/crane-beach-on-the-crane.html and if I proceeded any further on the road to the guard shack they would have hit me up for eight bucks for the off season parking rate.