• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Narrow Belt Conversion

T

TRDejaVu

I am making the change on the TR4, although I am staying with the Generator for now. Anyone know which NAPA belt number will work?

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not sure -- I went with the Denso alternator, and that changed things. Which brings me to my point: They come in 1/2" increments. The folks at my local Napa were happy enough to sell me several of them to try the fit. I returned all the ones that didn't, and kept the one that did. Assuming you're not too far from the Napa store, it's a workable way to get just the right belt.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not clear to me whether you want the NAPA wide belt for the generator (possibly 25-24379) or the narrow belt you will need when you install the alternator (it depends).

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Geo Hahn said:
Not clear to me whether you want the NAPA wide belt for the generator (possibly 25-24379) or the narrow belt you will need when you install the alternator (it depends).
I have obtained narrow pulleys for the crank, water pump and the generator.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
When I got the narrow belt conversion, it came with the narrow belt. Since I was installing an alternator, the belt they gave me turned out to be too short. The belt they sent was a Quinton Hazell QBA<span style="font-weight: bold">975</span>. The belt NAPA gave me was a 7385, which is 9.5/10mm x <span style="font-weight: bold">995</span>mm (25/64"x39-1/8"). You most likely need the NAPA size closest to 975mm. Probably one or two sizes smaller then the 7385.

Hope this helps.

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Thanks Art.

The outside diameters of the pulleys are 5 1/2" (crank), 4" (water pump) & 2 3/4" (generator). I presume that the crank and water pump ODs do not change, but I don't know if the alternator pulley is a different size. How do those sizes compare to yours?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Pretty hard for me to measure the crank and w/p pullies, but if they aren't the sizes you mentioned, they are very close as best I can get in there to measure. The generator pulley I did not use, as I have an alternator on there. It measures exactly what your's does.

As far as the alternator goes, the QBA975 belt would've fit, except for the fact that the alternator is fatter then the generator and hit the block before I could get the belt on. I couldn't push it toward the engine as far as the generator will go. That's why I had to go for a longer belt. The alternator also has a 17mm shaft, and the generator has a 15mm shaft. That's why I didn't use the pulley that came with the kit. Besides, the alternator came with a pulley already attached.

OP
T

TRDejaVu

My local NAPA say they have either a 970 or 985 equivalent so I will try them. Thanks again and I will post info on which one that fits.