• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NAPA master cylinder rebuild kits

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone used the NAPA clutch master cylinder rebuild kit. I have a late model master cylinder on my BE and NAPA lists a rebuild kit for it. I think I will try it unless someone has had a bad experience with one.
Thanks,
Charlie

Tipsy

Charlie, my bad experience was with my master cylinder itself. I had to make a tool to remove the internal circlips to get everything apart. The regular tool that is made for this would not work. Then I discovered that the piston was scored so I decided to just get a new master from Napa. The cost was not that much more.
Jeff

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Charlie, I need to do the same. I'm told unless you really know how to do this the risk of scoring the bore to get out and reinstall the inner circlip is very high. Now if you can find some Lockheed NOS Dual Master's that may be the ticket. I need one for Bugsy to fix my basement carpet stairs issue. Car Carpet is awash in Castrol GT LMA that has a great affinity for the soles of TopSiders. Easily transferred to Basement Stairs. A no honey I have no clue where that oil is coming from. I think it's your car leaking in the driveway...

If you find a NOS please let me know.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I just got one from Rockauto.com and it is working very well- cost was good too.
BillM

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I checked with my local NAPA dealer today. They do not stock the kit and would have to order it "from the factory" if I wanted it. I did not check for the complete cylinder, but I will. I will also check with Rockauto.com. Thanks for all the responses.
I did not have any trouble getting the piston out. The only circlip I had to remove was at the outer end of the cylinder and was very accessible. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Charlie

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is one more in there at the very bottom of the bore. I've never had it apart so I can't provide any more info just readng on this forum over the years.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
There is one more in there at the very bottom of the bore. I've never had it apart so I can't provide any more info just readng on this forum over the years.

There is and you typically need to destroy it. I drilled mine out but others have burned them out.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Now I can see why people would buy a new master cylinder. The trouble of rebuilding the old one is just not worth it.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you want one done right, get it off to Seirra.. contact through Gerard.

NFI

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
A resleeve in brass is the permanent fix. Otherwise the alternative cheap stuff will need replacement is a few years and you need to do it all over again.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Sorry to step in here, but I think y'all are talking about 3 different master cylinders. Coastalman would seem to have the 1967 single circuit brake master. An easy install in a Bugeye. JP and Jim seem to be talking about the 68 and newer dual circuit brake master, which is a problematic rebuild, and the problem isn't just the bore. And Bill L. is thinking of the original tandem brake/clutch masters.

Or, so it seems to me.

Funny

Peter C

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
As usual Peter C you've been able to enlighten all of us. Thanks for the input.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hey guys, I am working on the clutch master cylinder. It is the one with the plastic reservoir. I think from a '73 Midget.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Wow...... yer right, the word clutch was mentioned... even funnier.

Yeah, the NAPA one will be the same as everyone else's... made in UK by Nelson.

Peter

nomad

Yoda
Billm said:
I just got one from Rockauto.com and it is working very well- cost was good too.
BillM

I LOVE Rockauto!! Great source for inexpensive parts!

Kurt

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
You DO realize that Rock Auto doesn't have anything IN stock? Just a cataloger and drop-shipper. Unfortunately, if you support those places, then you won't be able to get parts locally. just sayin'

Peter C

nomad

Yoda
Sorry, Peter, for stepping on the toe's of guy's like you that are knowledgeable and the source for the correct parts!
My purchases from Rockauto have been for mainly Datsun parts that are being obsoleted and therefore greatly reduced in price. Their brit parts selection is quite limited and priced with the rest of the industry.
I thank you for your help in the past and highly recommend worldwideimport!

Kurt.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
No worries. You should see the obsolete Datsun parts we have!

They rubbed me wrong, once.... they used our logo on their website without permission. Took a while for them to take it down. Their office is a few miles away..... not in a warehouse district.

Peter

nomad

Yoda
Peter, your point is well taken and your post got me thinking.
I avoid Walmart because of what they have done to mainstreet America and because of their predatory practices towards their suppliers.
We need more businesses that have actual people there to help in this hobby. I'm going to take a different point of view on this from now on!

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
Peter, your point is well taken and your post got me thinking.
I avoid Walmart because of what they have done to mainstreet America and because of their predatory practices towards their suppliers.
We need more businesses that have actual people there to help in this hobby. I'm going to take a different point of view on this from now on!

Kurt.