• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Shark ate a traffic cone yesterday....

Bret

Yoda
Dang-it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif Who knew traffic cones could do so much damage!

There I was, tooling down the road minding my own business, when out of nowhere - from under the jacked up 4x4 in front of me pops about 4 orange traffic cones!

INCOMING!.....

Well I managed to dodge the first two, but the second hit my right finder – scuffing the paint but nothing any worst than some if the scuffs I already had. But the fourth cone was the fabled golden BB and got sucked right up into my grille work.

Next thing I knew I hear all kinds of violent noises & have a nasty vibration emanating from under my hood as I pull off to the side of the road to investigate.

Damage report:
The vertical & horizontal grill pieces are toast. Also damaged was the electric cooling fan (broken blade) & shroud (dent) where pushed back into my “NEW” condenser that is now bent. The new dryer was also pushed back but looks to be ok.

The good news is even with all that damage the A/C system is still working and my new C&R radiator wasn’t damaged.

So from what I can tell – I will only need to replace the fan, mounting hardware and the grill pieces.

I tell ya - if'n it werent' for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, bummer......Insurance coverage on something like that?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Sadly no, I don't have full coverage on the Porsche. Besides even if I did after pricing the damage (not counting the paint scuffs or the condenser) everything is less than my deductible would be if I did.

Right now I'm looking at about $200 total for parts.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ouch! Luckily, you're not the average Porsche driver - you actually work on yours!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
BTW that price is based on a used electric fan assembly and new OEM grill components.

Probably going to re-paint next year so I'm not to worried about the scuffs.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Well atleast you didn't hit the new radiator, easily could have multiplied that repair price by 5.

Ben

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
saabmp3 said:
Well atleast you didn't hit the new radiator, easily could have multiplied that repair price by 5.

Ben
Got that right Ben, paid almost $900 smackers for the C&R radiator. Don't want to go through that again. Besides I have other things on my "to do" list that the money could better be spent on. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But the bent A/C condenser is going to eventually have to be replaced at some time. Right now they're running about $225 used and $475 new. But again its still working so at that price I think I can live with it for now.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OH ratpoop!!!

You needed THAT like ya needed another vent in yer hull. Sheesh.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
An autocross guy over on Rennlist joked that I had +2 seconds added to my overall run time.

I countered with "yes well, there's a big difference in that the cones on an Autocross course are static & ain't flying at you out'a nowhere at warp speed."

Hmm? Thinking about it – I bet if we could figure out a way of throwing cones at the autocross drivers would bring the competition skillset to a whole new level. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
lol

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And here I thought those RennList fellas had no sense of humor. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]when out of nowhere - from under the jacked up 4x4 in front of me pops about 4 orange traffic cones!
[/QUOTE]

Bret...look at the bright side...you didn't have to pay
any track fees..........

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
DrEntropy said:
And here I thought those RennList fellas had no sense of humor. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Yes well ya got’a remember Doc, we’re talking about a bunch of 928 folks not your average turtle (911) owners.

BIBBER said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]when out of nowhere - from under the jacked up 4x4 in front of me pops about 4 orange traffic cones!
Bret...look at the bright side...you didn't have to pay
any track fees.......... [/QUOTE]
So let’me guess? You’re an autocross guy too I take it?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Updat! Re: My Shark ate a traffic cone yesterday..

Wow! I'm surprised by the responses from some of my fellow Shark owners.

I posted the same story over on Rennlist and despite some friendly teasing I've been inundated with offers of help and replacement components. Some freebees, some dirt cheap! All I know is that – by this weekend I should have no less than three eclectic fans and at least enough grill components to replace the busted up pieces with a couple leftovers.

This means dispite some paint scuffs & the bent A/C condenser (that still works fine) - I'll be back to 100% by this weekend.

Like I said Shark owners ain’t your typical Porsche owners and are more akin to my fellow LBC owners.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

They're just helping you prepare for the inevitable - its gonna happen again!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Bret

Great News.

Pat