• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My friend has a hot seat!

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
And I mean the seat of his '79 B gets very hot! He wanted me to inquire about this for him since he doesn't get online much.

He says that it runs fine except for the fact that just behind the driver's seat gets so hot that it has begun to melt the carpet. Needless to say, he hasn't driven it much since this started a couple of years ago and never got around to having it looked at...don't ask me why because I don't know. Anyway, someone mentioned to him that the carb was too rich and that this was causing the problem...I'm just telling you what he told me.

He would appreciate any advice or info you folks have to offer. By the way, can you believe that he lives two doors down and we both have '79 Bs???? I told him if he deosn't get his going, then I know where to get my parts car!

Thanks!

TNMGB

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I told him if he deosn't get his going, then I know where to get my parts car!

Thanks!

TNMGB

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true LBC nut!

Regarding his hot seat, sounds like the catalytic converter is overheating (if he's got one). I'm not much of an authority, but it may be clogged. If so, his performance is suffering as well. No doubt someone with more experience will jump in soon with more info for you.

Mickey

lawguy

Jedi Knight
That's exactly what it sounds like to me, a plugged cat that is.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
He said it gets so hot that it actually smokes! That's more than a little frightening if you ask me. We wondered if the cat was overheating in some way but how would it be clogged? And how does one unclog it?

TNMGB

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They all become clogged over time, and unfortunately, the only remedy is to replace it (or remove it, but that's illegal).

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Hmmm....well, he's going to love that news! By the way, Mickey, I took the wheels I bought from you to be blasted today; I decided to leave that part to guys who do it every day. Hopefully, I'll get them the first of the week and prime them, then on to painting...woo hoo!

TNMGB

R6MGS

Yoda
The Cat on my Camaro got plugged up once because the auto choke wasn't set right making it run very rich on start up. When I brought it in the mechanic said it was pretty common in older cars...even said somtimes the exhaust gets so hot in tha area that it glows red.....My advice to your friend: just lose the Cat.

Zack

AlamedaMGB

Call me crazy, but he cat on my 77 is under the Carb in the engine compartment..

It would be a cat on any other car, but this could be an exhaust leak in the front resonator..

What they said about Catalytic converters is correct, they are meant to deteriorate over time.. Most smog shops say 10 yrs is the max life of the cat.

However, all may not be lost. IF the carb is running rich, the catalytic converter will be burning raw fuel, not just exhaust gasses.. I've seen them glow cherry red. So make sure he fixes the carb problem before he replaces it.

Good Luck

Bawanadic

I had the same problem with my 77 and the cat had been removed by the PO. It turned out to be a leak in the pipe after the resonator that caused the rear of the seat to heat up on long drives.
I replaced the exhaust system (mostly rust & carbon) and repaired the floorboard under the seat and installed heat shielding and insulation under the carpeting.
Much cooler.
I did have a coworker who bought a Lotus Espri (? not sure of spelling or model) and when he drove it to the site to show it off it ran worse than a yugo. We popped the hood and the entire exhaust was cherry red.
He had it towed back to the dealer and they replaced the cat for free.