• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My building permit has been approved!!!!!

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Yay! The DC Gov't has finally approved the building permit for my garage-mahal! Woohoo!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ah-HA!

Excellent news. How soon do you plan on breaking ground? Photos and a progress report would be much appreciated from time to time.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill, When you finish you will say."It is not big enough" After adding 700 sq. to my 650 Sq. garage I still need more space. Trying to talk the wife into a 20X30 stand alone tall enough for a lift.Good luck to me!!

Make sure you plumb for heat. My next one will have heated floors.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent news, Bill. Draw up some plans, we'd love to see what you've got planned.

boxofparts

Country flag
I just finished my garage additions.. Started out with a 24x24 then adder another 24 with a 10 ft porch. Now it is 48X24 with 10 ft porch.

Zoning board would not approve 220V..cause I might start a business.(maybe a meth lab) So I did not pull an electrical permit and just used the existing 110V to power lights and such. The building inspector came and looked things over and saw my drill pres, table saw and welder and asked how I intended to power them. I pulled an electrical permit and wired the entire place with #10 wire..just in case...Heavy duty switches and plugs..all rated for the #10 wire.. What a pain. Inspector took one look at that and almost did not approve it..said it was over wired..

I put in a 10 ft door.. Go 12ft or larger.. 10 looks god but it is a pain if you have a trailer or need to access it at an angle.

All is inspected and good.. Good luck.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
boxofparts said:
Inspector took one look at that and almost did not approve it..said it was over wired..

I can't recall EVER hearing that particular reasoning before. Wow.

I've got quad box drops (110v) about every four feet inna garage, both sides, on two seperate breakers. A 220v for the compressor & one for the clothes dryer (also seperate)... I guess I better not get the "inspectors" involved when I blow out the back of the garage for the "extension" then... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks everyone! I'll post the plans asap. In my neighborhood, the maximum structure load is 40%, and once the garage goes up, I'll literally be at 40% exactly, so I'm using every square inch possible. Building will be 32 x 34 and the design was done by a barn-builder (you can take the boy out of Vermont, but you can't take Vermont out of the boy). Will hold six LBCs quite comfortably, and probably more if I do some creative parking. VERY excited!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Bill that sounds like a nice size, as for storage bigger is better unless you lose the space.

I look forward to seeing your plans.

Patrick

boxofparts

Country flag
Does the area calculation include any covered porch.. If not I would suggest a 10-12 ft porch.. Very handy for that project or parts car that need to be kept dry but not in the garage. Good for a trailer also..

It is also a good place to collect your thoughts on why you have entered into such a hobby.

Plus.. when nobody is looking a small 1/2 wall might go up to keep the leaves out.. then screens, then windows, then wa la ..I got a workshop.

swift6

Yoda
MadRiver said:
Building will be 32 x 34 and the design was done by a barn-builder (you can take the boy out of Vermont, but you can't take Vermont out of the boy).

Wouldn't be Morton Buildings would it?

Country flag
Send some of that good mojo my way.....I am on month three of waiting for the city to approve my garage! Inspector says my proposed entry comes too close to a tree....and I am paying a EXPERIENCED garage company to deal with getting these permits....my wife has made more progress in the last 10 days than the builders have made in 3 months! Arrrggghhh