• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My blinkers don't work right

fishnxtc

Freshman Member
Well the right blinker works but it stays on and only shuts off when you turn the steering wheel to the right. I cannot shut it off with the blinker switch. I cannot turn on my left blinker at all. what could be the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. First one that come to mind is the blinker switch. Any guesses........Chris

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Chris, You don't say what car it is?, and what happened prior to this fault? My first guess is the wiring is incorrectly connected, although the steering wheel bit is strange.

Alec

OP
F

fishnxtc

Freshman Member
Sorry guess this will probably help 88 Vanden Plas. The car sat for about 6 months in the driveway. I just decided to fire it up a few weeks ago and start driving it again. I cannot see that the wiring being incorrectly connect as they worked prior to it sitting in my driveway for a few months........Chris

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
I agree with your guess. Sounds like something happened to the blinker switch. Since it is an 88, there might be a logic unit along with the switch.

OP
F

fishnxtc

Freshman Member
I tell you one thing there is nothing LOGIC with this darn car. I'm got to tear some stuff a part tomorrow.........Chris

Webserve

Chris,
Actually, EVERYTHING about these cars is logical -- it just isn't your logic!! (or any one else that owns them)
These XJ40s are notorious for having bad solder joints. It will happen all over the car and the blinker logic board is a prime example. If you are having problems after the car sat for 6 months and none of this was a problem previously, then get a solder iron and simply re-flow the solder on the logic board and any other place there are solder joints you think may be affecting it. Usually, this will take care of the problem. You will find the same problem with your clock and your bulb modules.
Remember that this car is nearly 20 years old now. In 8 years you can start running classic/antique plates on it in most States and like any car of this age, stuff is going to wear thin on it.

Cheers

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2billydavies TR4/4A yellow blinker light stays on all the time the shuts off when blinkers are used Triumph 2
B Tail lights/blinkers Spridgets 3
jvandyke and still more wiring q's-blinkers! Spridgets 9
SCguy TR4/4A TR4 Blinkers flashing too quickly? Triumph 13
S TR2/3/3A tr3 front blinkers Triumph 2
NutmegCT flakey blinkers MG 0
T MGB Quick question about something that don't really matter just want to know. MG 9
kodpkd Valve Cover Gasket - Don't do this! Austin Healey 14
R TR4/4A Carburettor is French for DON'T TOUCH! Triumph 2
jlaird MGB Don't post like I did 10 years ago. MG 7
BierRunner TR6 Turn Signals/Hazards don't work Triumph 16
PC somethin' I don't see evrey day Spotted 1
tr6nitjulius General TR DYI don't park on bare concrete fix Triumph 1
CJD General TR Parts Just Don't Last Anymore Triumph 6
P Seat Bottoms And Bases Don't Seem To fit Together Well Austin Healey 4
JPSmit So I guess I don't need to lay off the churros after all Spridgets 4
Gliderman8 Lights don't break FORUM Navigation Questions 23
S TR2/3/3A Don't throw anything away. Triumph 7
TR3TR6 TR6 Turn signal lights don't flash when under load. Triumph 5
TomMull Elan Plus 2 post 1968 numbers don't quite match Lotus 0
JPSmit I don't always dream of owning an RV Other Cars 0
TulsaFred New Bugeye Seat Covers from AH Spares don't seem to fit properly Spridgets 10
Geo Hahn General TR R.I.P. Don Elliott Triumph 13
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Beauty Rings Don't Fit Triumph 22
D TR6 Rear lights don't work. Grounding Problem ? Triumph 14
1 MGB I don't know how or why, but I think I will need a new clutch :[ MG 4
Csarneson Old Engine - Journals don't fit? Austin Healey 2
N Things you see when you don't expect it. Spotted 1
HealeyRick You Don't Need a Weatherman ... Austin Healey 9
Popeye TR4/4A TR4A front frame reinforcement / parts don't fit Triumph 6
vette Vapor Lock, Out of Gas, Hmm, Ahh, Don't know? Austin Healey 32
Mickey Richaud MGB Don Hayter Gets His Watch MG 1
PC don't know, but I have a pretty good idea, Spotted 0
Lukens Don't hate me... Austin Healey 22
M I don't love her anymore Spridgets 5
D Don't buy top plate shims for bishop cam steering from Moss Restoration & Tools 5
bugedd Don't know what to do Spridgets 17
Got_All_4 Wedge Hazard siginals don't work!! Triumph 4
C Order of Assembly? Do and don'ts? Austin Healey 9
R TR4/4A Assembling the interior - dash support and radio plate screw holes don't match up Triumph 4
Bob_Spidell Why I don't drive my Healey to Mexico [any more] Austin Healey 4
longbridgehealey Another I just don't understand electricity question Spridgets 6
D Don't ignore stiff window regulator Austin Healey 8
A Big Healey Restoration Do's & Don'ts Austin Healey 11
B settings don't stick FORUM Navigation Questions 0
D Information about Don Wylie Racing 0
X don't fix it if it ain't broke Spridgets 1
J Weld thru Primer, I don't like it! Restoration & Tools 2
J why they say don't buy replacement fenders! Triumph 4
cmacmillan straw poll - snaps don't line up Triumph 2