• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB My 1980 MGB [Need some help please!]

MGBGirl

Hey! I am the new, proud owner of a 1980 MGB with overdrive. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the car so I can eventually work on it without my dad. He has a 67 MGB. Anyways, my dad and I drove it from Iowa to Southaven and she ran great. There are just a few issues on it that need to be taken care of though. For one, the temp guage is not giving me a read. Dad and I opened it up and it looked quite simple and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with its insides. We checked the wires and the sending wire seemed to be giving us a good read. When we picked her up, the fuel guage was staying at full (I said, "Maybe I have a never empting gas tank!" haha). When we got home, the next day, the gas guage gave a reading, accurate? no idea. Then the guage read empty and that's how it is tody. I heard something about a voltage instrument regulator that said it's supposed to control the fuel and temp guage. True of False? Dad and I found it and it gave us sparadic readings on the multi-meter. Can anybody give us a clue on what the reading is supposed to be and how we can fix it? or should we just buy a new one? Also, another thing my dad and I have not really foucused on this, but the windscreen wiper spray does not spray when I hold the button in. This is probably a simple fix (I hope) but if someone could just throw their ideas out, that would be great. The quicker we can find the soulution on all the issues, the quicker I can just enjoy my car :driving:

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the Forum! The voltage stabilizer is probably the fuel and temp problem. The windshield washer pump has 2 green wires going to it??. One has a different color tracer as I recall. It should be on the inner fender on the passenger side of the car. They are marginal at best. Sometimes a tap will get them going or just get a new one from Moss or VB or Gordon at the B-hive. The pump will probably have power when the key is on and works by the switch giving it a ground. If you hear the pump when you press the button then try priming it with a little water and see if it starts pumping. I hope this helps! Bob

OP
M

MGBGirl

Well today we were able to look at the windscreen washer pump. It does have 2 green wires. It was not making any noises at all and dad and I came to the conclusion that I am just going to get a new one. As for the temp guage... we put in a new one and did not use the wire connected to the stabilizer. Works fine. But still, if anyone can tell me more about the stabilizer, it would be much appreciated. I would rather use the original guages than a new one. Another thing I remebered, the clock also works sparadically. When it does work, it is like 2 sec. slow. Would a new stabilizer fix this as well or is this a whole new project. Its not that serious, I really don't read analog, but it would be nice if it worked correctly.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Stabilizer varies the voltage (quickly) to give the gauges about 10 volts (as I recall). When mine goes, I'll prob replace it with the solid state type.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum MGB Girl! I agree with Scott, get the solid state stabilizer, as I think the voltage is better regulated. The original ones have points in them, which can go bad in time. It's great that your dad has an MGB. I'm sure he will be able to answer some of your questions. Don't be shy about asking questions here. There's hundreds of years of accumulated knowledge here on the BCF, use it to your advantage. PJ

OP
M

MGBGirl

Well, dad and I are going to attempt to build the solid state stabilizer. Hope it works! Has anyone tried their hand at building one and like to give advice to us? Don't worry. I will probably ask so many questions, you will get tired of me. Hope not though! We are both learning more about the car since his was an earlier model. He doesn't even recall their being a stabilizer on his.

Merci boucoup for all the help!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome!Don't be afraid to ask questions -
that's why we're here.There's a lot of experianced
people here,& you'll make a lot of new friends.

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome, and ask away!

Your dad's '67 has a voltage stabilizer too. Originally mounted on the inside firewall just above and left of the steering column.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
MGB Girl, Building a voltage stabilizer is a nice idea, but, if it isn't just right on the voltage stabilization, it could do damage to some instruments and that could become very costly. For $20.00, Moss, a British car parts house a lot of us use has them, here is a link to their site and a link to their stabilizer information. PJ

<span style="font-size: 10pt">Moss Website</span>
https://www.mossmotors.com/
MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey, Jaguar, Classic British Car Restoration Parts & Accessories - Moss Motors, Ltd.

<span style="font-size: 10pt">Voltage Stabilizer.</span>
https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/131-555.pdf
131-555.pdf (application/pdf Object)

OP
M

MGBGirl

So... I still need to put insurance on this baby. Can I get some advice on how I should go about this? Stuff like how much it's worth, should it be classified as antique with 2000 miles or go all out and get liability and all?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I use American Collectors https://www.americancollectors.com/ and like the price for total coverage, but nobody with less than 10 years driving experience is allowed to drive it, I need to have a locking garage to park it in, and I don;t drive more than 2500 miles per year ( a 5000 mile policy is also available)

Also do a search on this forum...there are entire treads debating the virues of various insurance ad nausia LOL

Don't drive it without insurance! Good luck!

Bruce

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Buy a new stabiiizer, Not worth the trouble and chance of building one.

Insurance -I had American Classic but did not like the restrictions. Haggerty has been great. There are other also.

OP
M

MGBGirl

How much would you say this car is worth. I know I need to get it appraised, but a ball park number on what others is worth just to get a guess-ta-mit.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Check eBay and Hemmings Motor News. After awhile you get an idea of what cars in similar conditions go for. Not exact science but it does give a ball park idea.

TANGARAY

Freshman Member
Like Bruce says, check out classifieds to see what similar cars are going for to determine insured value. Premium will vary little ($10-20) based on $1000 swing in estimated value. Get quotes and find out restrictions on insurance. Some limit you to just shows/parades/and limited mileage. I think all collector car insurance limits/prohibits use as primary vehicle, transportation to work/school, errands and the like. Most offer towing packages. I went with Grundy and have been happy. My agreed value is $6000 or $7000 (cant remember which & probably a little high) for a '76 that I've been restoring. Also, I would suggest a motor club like AAA or Allstate for backup towing/emergency. For $60-70/year, always good insurance and not just for toy car.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Sorry but, there is no way any of us could give you an educated guess of the value of your car without seeing it. The value range is too large. As others have said, look at other MGBs advertised for sale of similar condition and judge for your self. Remember, just because someone is asking, say, $8,000 or what ever for their car, that doesn't mean it's worth it! If you want your car as a daily driver, you'll need conventional insurance. Specialty insurance that a lot of us use on our cars has limitations imposed for shows, parades and the like. Shop around for the best price, as conventional insurance on these old cars varies quite a bit between companies. Drive Safe! PJ

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
For what it's worth, I sold my 1980 MGB, 26,000 miles, original paint, pretty-much mint condition for $11,000 a few years back but that was all the money that one of these is worth......

As the guys have suggested, it's tough to put a value on a car sight-unseen.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
MGBGirl said:
So... I still need to put insurance on this baby. Can I get some advice on how I should go about this? Stuff like how much it's worth, should it be classified as antique with 2000 miles or go all out and get liability and all?

Most insurance companies will want an appraisal anyway -about $150 hereabouts. most classic car insurance is comprehensive. Most companies will also want to know that you have another "real" car as your daily driver and a garage to put it in. Theoretically you also shouldn't be driving to work etc. though how they can prove that I don't know.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just ~don't~ call "GoodHandsPeople" for a quote.