• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System

skawtland

Freshman Member
I don't know if anyone here has used the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System, but wow! I really like it. My cars both suffer badly from water spots after cleaning, and this thing is certainly a good fix for me. It cost I think $15 from Wal*Mart. After washing and soaping with it, you turn it to autodry and it fires de-ionized water onto the car in a fine spray through a filter which dries the car without forming spots. Anyone else have any experience of this car wash system?

Steve_S

Yoda
Interesting. Can we get an update on the "product testing"? The water here in LA is pretty hard as well. In the summer, I have to wash and completely dry a quarter of the car at a time or else by the time I'm done washing, there is a dry and heavily spotted 3/4 car behind me.

A

aerog

The filter is a dual-cartridge filter made by "pur" and works really well (similar to their tap-water filters I'm sure). I always use a decent car washing detergent anyway, never just "no soap" if that's what you mean (if you don't get the dirt off with soap you'll have spotting).

Their system is designed so that their soap sheets the water off. In fact it will start to lessen any "beading" effect your wax causes (some people prefer that, but their soap no doubt leaves a film of some kind to cause the effect). Your regular water is used in volume to wash the dirt and soap away, then their filtered water is used to rinse your "bad" water off the car and leave clean filtered water behind. If you don't completely wash the hard-water off the car you will have spots!

Now - their "sheeting" action soap helps in this regard in that the water tends to not bead up on the surface in big puddles, but some waxes/polishes (like NXT) really fight their soap and still bead so the no-spot effect isn't quite as dramatic. I found that when I was waxing the Miata with a real "wax" (I was using Pinnacle Souveran) it tended to sheet a TON more than when using NXT - and the no-spot effect was pretty dramatic between the two. The effect on rainX-ed glass is even moreso.

With all that having been said I also pointed out I used NXT car wash on the car with the filtered water and it worked. I've had "perfect" success, and I've had spots doing it that way. I think I'll assume when it was "perfect" I either still had some film on the car from the Mr.Clean soap, or the wax/polish was pretty well worn so I didn't have a really good beading action - but even so, with a fresh coat of NXT using NXT car wash I still had better luck with the filtered water than without.

So to summarize, I think you can see that their system is really depending on their soap for the "full effect". The average car that is outside everyday and waxed every 6 months will probably have a reasonably "spot free finish" using the system. One that is waxed quite a bit and kept brand-new so it beads up a lot might not...and the effect using other soaps (or no soap?) will weaken the "no spot" effect. Even so, the filtered-water is much better than the regular hard tap water for me.

A

aerog

Here's another update from me: I've been using it off and on for some time now. I've never liked the "splatter and spray" soap from the handle. It doesn't do much in the way of cleaning anything except the light dust off the car - so I've been putting their soap in the bucket and I "hand wash" like always, followed by the filtered spray. Seemed to work ok.

I also used Meguiar's NXT wash followed by the filtered water from the handle with some decent results.

Complaints:
I have read about, and have experienced a slightly filming on the paint after washing a few times with Mr.Clean. Occasionally I've not been able to get a "spot free" rinse, but the spots have been more like that same film from the soap than hard-water spots (and they disappear with a quick wipe with a good detailing spray).

Over all it works pretty well, but I'm still switching between using my water blade followed by a final wipe with my detailing towel - and the 100% Mr.Clean method. Last week I "bladed" the car then went over it with Zaino "gloss enhancer" (detailing spray) and it looked like a million bucks and no spots. Today I "Mr.Cleaned" it, let it drip-dry, had a couple of spots that left a film so I went over it with Zaino again and it looked like a million bucks.

Biffy

I bought one of these for my hubby for his birthday. He had the same problem in that it didn't dry as fast as he expected and he was left with a few spots. He decided to wash the truck again and it was much better the second time around. He is very pleased with it. It did a great job on my car too!

Steve_S

Yoda
I'll have to pass then because I never use soap on my cars unless there is something really nasty on it. I always wash with plain water and a mitt, nothing more.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I have tried the system a few times but I will be returning it (at least there is a one year guarantee). It worked well enough but there are a few things I didn't like. With a bucket of water and soap you have a lot of sudsy water to wash the dirt off the surface. With Mr. Clean it seems like you are pushing the dirt around with suds because there's not much water at this stage. I think this is more likely to scratch the paint if the car is fairly dirty. I also didn't like the way their soap makes the dirt cling to the sponge or brush. Even when you rinse the sponge/brush heavily the soil sticks and has a gooey feel. Again, I don't think this is good for the paint to have the dirt cling to the sponge/brush. And for the topper, I don't think you save anytime with their system! It takes longer and is more cumbersome for the spray soap and scrub phase than using a bucket. Also, it is pretty slow to go over the car with the final filtered water spray. With one big towel I can go around the car getting off 90% of the water in about the same time. Then I grab another towel and go around once again. Oh well, it looked like an interesting product but it's not for me.

Cheers,
John

p.s. I also tried using it just for the rinse phase but the water was so beaded (nxt wax) that it had no sheeting effect

spit_head

Freshman Member
Its basically a hand held water softner.
The spots (if rinsed thoroughly) are caused by "hardness" ( calcium, magnesium, and lime) .
It only takes 1 GPG (grain(s) per gallon)to cause spotting on auto finshes.

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
With Mr. Clean it seems like you are pushing the dirt around with suds because there's not much water at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right - that's why I don't use it that way; I use the "handle" purely for the filtered water now (read my posts above). Using their system 100% provides a way to wash without ever touching the paint, but it's not as good as using a good mitt and soap. Using their system for the final rinse ONLY still provides a final rinse with decent clean water.

Of course nobody really has brought up the fact that you can force water to sheet by taking the sprayers off the hose and just use a soft gentle stream of water. Even with my horrible water here I can sometimes get a really clean dry car minutes after washing using that technique. Unfortunately it doesn't work well with the shape of the Miata (the water wants to run around and not sheet).

Steve_S

Yoda
Why would you want water to sheet on the car? The only way water will sheet for me is if the wax has been worn off.

My daily driver lives outside, and when washed with only water it doesn't need waxing more than once or twice a year at most. I know it's time when the water begins to "sheet".

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Using their system 100% provides a way to wash without ever touching the paint

[/ QUOTE ]

The directions say you need to use a mitt or sponge after spraying the 'soap' stage. I too thought that I could just wash the car normally and then use the filtered water spray but found out that it didn't work at all. The car I tried it on had Nxt wax on it and it beaded like crazy. Maybe the filter was going bad already .. it was the trial filter and the third wash. Anyway, I decided it is going back.

Cheers,
John

lawguy

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to pass then because I never use soap on my cars unless there is something really nasty on it. I always wash with plain water and a mitt, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious....why? Though soap may be a bit hard on wax over time, I've always thought that the lubricating qualities of the soap would make for less chance of dust or dirt abrasion on the paint...even contaminants you can't see.

Steve_S

Yoda
I typically don't let my car get so dirty that it requires soap. Using soap not only strips wax but leaves residues that I'd rather not have on the car. I'm not sure about the soap lubricating things. It won't get between the paint and the dirt until after you've wiped anyway at which point any damage that may be cause is done. Washing more often with water only seems to keep my paint nicer, longer. But keep in mind also that I live in a mild climate where it doesn't rain often and there is no salt on the roads. I can get away with things I couldn't in other parts of the country.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Using high quality soap from finish care manufacturer that is specifically intended for cleaning car paint does not strip wax. I generally use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo because it's gentle, cleans well, gives plenty of lubricity and is available cheap at Target.

Many people use dish soap (detergent really) that is specifically formulated as a stripper to remove sludge deposits from porcelain. That is harsh stuff chemically, has little lubricity (squeaky clean) and will strip wax.

A properly formulated soap does help prevent microscopic scratching. Soap breaks the bond between the particles and the surface, allowing the particles to float clear of the finish and be carried up into the fibers of your wash mitt. The soap also envelops the particles with a lubricating film. Depending on the particles' size, shape, surface structure, etc friction and gouging between them and the finish are reduced or eliminated.

PC.

Steve_S

Yoda
Good point about "enveloping the particles". I don't mean to say that soap is a bad thing, but on a car that is simply "very dusty" I don't bother to use it. If it's "dirty" then it's absolutely time for soap!

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Your explanation makes sense to me....however in my area, "very dusty" describes a car 1/2 hour after a good wash. Any longer time than that, and more intense intervention is required. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif