• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Motor Trend 1961 Review of MGA 1600 MkII

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
For you history buffs - Motor Trend's review and road test.

"Erecting the top is not a detail that can be completed by one man while remaining seated in the car."

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5xnnKbPEWx5OUhiQ0RBZUhRWDQ

Tom

PS - I tried uploading the pdf file (9.3MB) to BCF, but after uploading, the only options on the window were "upload a file" and "drag file after uploading". Gave up after 30 minutes and moved the pdf to Google docs. Hope this works.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On a lot of old British cars you'd have to go get the top out of the boot to erect it. The TR-3 for example, and my MGC which has both the top and top bows stowed in the boot (an optional attached soft top with bows was available).

urchin

Jedi Trainee
My '63 MGB had a tent-style top, as did my '63 Triumph Spitfire. Both had to be stored in the trunk and reassembled on the side of the road, generally in the rain :smile:. But even my '80 TR-7 convertible required me to get out of the car [in the rain] and walk around it snapping the top in place. Only my '72 Fiat Spider and my '64 Corvair Monza had tops you could erect by lifting them into place and clipping the windshield clips in place - no snaps :smile:.

Jeff

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Back in the '60s I had a TR4A, and you really couldn't raise the top without getting out and exerting some degree of effort. Maybe some gorilla could put it up without leaving the car, but I couldn't. It had a "modern" top, not a tent one.

My bugeye Sprite, which I sold a couple years ago, had a tent top. It came with the car when I bought it, but it hadn't been installed. I installed it, and drove around with it once, then took it off; too claustrophobic, and, after all, this is CALIFORNIA, for heaven's sake! It doesn't rain here!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I liked the top on the Bugeye -- simple enough to put up. I considered it "cozy" rather than claustrophobic. I had the later Michelotti top on my old MGB; it sealed up nicely but was a bit of a struggle to get put up.

With both cars I did feel like I was driving around in a little pup tent, but then I like tents. :grin:

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
I could not open the file but then I can't put the top up on my 61 MGA without a lot of help either! 1st time my husband tried to help me I somehow got his fingers pinched in the frame. Not a good thing to happen.
My TR4A is fairly easy and I can put that up without help and I remember my 66 B being such a pain that I would just leave the whole top off and chance the weather.
These old LBC's are supposed to be an adventure.....

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I converted the fold-away top on my '69 MGB to the earlier style (which means the top now comes off the car and the erector set type frame goes in the trunk). It looks good up and when it's off, the car looks very "clean" in terms of appearance.

But it's a pain in the neck to put up or down. Probably takes me 15 minutes to do it properly. I only do that a few times a year (it's been off all Summer for the last few years).

My '73 Midget has a folding, canvas top. It's about 15 years old and I try to be careful not to crack or crease the plastic windows. I would not take it down in cooler weather because I'm concerned about damaging it.

My Miata has a glass rear window and the top goes down in about 10 seconds even with the roll bar. It's a great design. Mine has the original top (14 years old) and it really needs to be replaced (I've patched it where it has cracked).

The ~Super 7~ I just bought has a top that seems even worse to put up or down than my MGB. I'll probably never use it. :friendly_wink:\

I remember the MGA top even though I owned that car when I was 17 (44 years ago!). By the time I was 18 I also owned a TR3. Both tops were in dreadful shape and abysmal to put up or down. I loved them both!

mga-tr3.jpg

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I remember the MGA top even though I owned that car when I was 17 (44 years ago!). By the time I was 18 I also owned a TR3. Both tops were in dreadful shape and abysmal to put up or down. I loved them both!

Geez - 44 years ago I also owned a TR-3 and an MGA, and I was the same age!

We both must be crazy!