• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Mota Lita Steering wheel on TR3A. Help! Please.

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have bought a Mota Lita steering wheel to suit my Moss R&P steering setup. The steering Boss I purchased was to suit the original TR Control Head. I figured that although the electrics wouldn’t operate I would still have the old school look.
The problem is that the Boss is rather deep to accommodate the Control Head thus giving the wheel about 4” clearance from the dash board.
I would love to get the wheel somewhat closer and am wondering if a different Boss which just accommodates a badge would do the trick.
I cant find any drawings or even comparison pictures on the net and as I live about 10,000 miles from the nearest Moss outlet it becomes a little difficult to go in there and look .
If someone could give me some information I would be very grateful.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
I am unable to answer your question, but hang in there because someone will have the answer. You just have to wait for them to see you post.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I don't have a Moto Lita wheel, but another aftermarket (Tourist Trophy) that I got from Moss. I'm not using the original control head, but I'm not home to measure the distance, but I don't think it's that far away. I'll post a couple of pics where you can see. I also looked on the Moss site at both the Moto Lita and the Tourist Trophy wheels, and BOTH OF THEM USE THE SAME ADAPTERS. If you want, when I get home, I'll measure, but after I mounted the new wheel, I didn't notice any difference in the location of the wheel. Also, do you happen to have an adjustable wheel??? As they always start further out then the non-adjustable wheel, and maybe the adapter for that is bringing it out even further.

Attachments

• 29704.jpg
    29704.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 29705.jpg
    29705.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for your help Art. I have made some enquiries from two other Mota Lita suppliers and they say that a Boss, I think simular to yours, with the TR Badge is about 1 1/2" shorter so I guess that will do the trick.
Sometime we learn the hard way after paying nearly $200 inc postage for the Boss that I already have.
Cheers
Ian

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I had a 3A from 68 to 71. I put an after market wheel on it after the car was stolen from the station car park while I was at work. I had a Krooklok on it which went around the steering wheel and the brake pedal. The TR wheel was so springy that the thief was able to push the wheel down far enough to slip the lock off! At least I got the car back 3 days later. The new wheel was much stronger.

I recall that the boss was the same as an original Mini. I assume that your R&P conversion still uses the same splines so it could be worth checking out Mini bosses with Mota Lita. I had to fit an aftermarket indicator switch on the column. It was an improvement because you did not have to take a hand off the wheel to use the indicators.

That car has a lot to answer for. I took it to show a friend when I bought it. His sister asked if she could come for a ride in the little seat at the back. She then alerted me to the cop car following me when I was - ahem - a little over the speed limit. No wonder I married her!