• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Most amazing car video ever

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

Turn up your sound and click the link to see this legendary short movie.
Here's the link --
https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2851488008488190547&q=lelouch%3e

Sammy says WOW!!!

Bret

Yoda
Always enjoyed that video. On a personal note - the 275 GTB is one of my favorite Ferraris.

1965_ferrari_275_gtb_22_m.jpg

Don't know if this is the same year or even close to the car used in the video but regardless they are really cool!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I was driving home in Houston one night on the Loop near the Galleria, and I glanced over and saw a yellow 275 GTB cruising down the highway. My jaw absolutely dropped.

Steve_S

Yoda
That film has been the subject of much controversy. Some claim that the footage has been sped up, and that the audio (engine, brakes, etc) does not match the way it should for the way the car is driving.

No one has ever been able to prove it one way or the other, obviously.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
That engine makes the most glorious sounds!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is! Showed the video to my son and he said the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Won’t find any rice rockets with the huge ash can poking out the back side that’ll sound anything like that?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well... that's definitely the best copy of that video footage I've seen on the net. Though, I think i'd have to lean on the side of contraversy when it comes to the film's authenticity... Still a good watch though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
The one thing that never made sense to me is that you can hear the tire noise so perfectly, as if the microphone is outside. But there is no wind noise whatsoever.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
The Getaway in Stockholm videos are ... I guess ... the modern day copy cat films. However, they use modern cars in their videos. I think they're up to they're 6th video now? I just watched their 4th video that had a C5 Corvette and an Acura NSX. There seems to be no 'doctoring' of their videos at all (besides editing to switch between cameras). They even left in the Corvette driver's in ability to know when to shift. While I was watching the video, I couldn't help but notice the Corvette driver _constantly_ ran the car into the rev-limiter and didn't shift for at least a half second. I dunno what they were thinking while they were doing that, but it certianly didn't make them look good in the 'driving skill' department.

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8589798970651497193&q=stockholm

Now I know where they based the Need for speed Games... I saw most of stockholm looks exactly like the game's world.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The thought on the reason for no wind noise is that the microphone was not on the front of the car, rather in the engine bay or in the cabin (more likely.)

I happen to believe that it's authentic. Mostly because one can usually tell when driving scenes are sped up (just watch "Mad Max.") In actuality, the sense of speed in this movie is fairly slow.

In any event, anyone who blows through red lights at any speed is N-V-T-S Nuts.

It has been such a big thing for so many years -- like Deep Throat!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmm... I personally favor "Cancer Man"... he seems to be a far more nefarious character, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Where are all of the cops!?
I know that if I tried anything like that here I would be busted in no time at all!
If I didn't get arrested my car would probably fall apart since the streets in Chicago are mostly potholes!

In the Stockholm video the Corvette has an automatic trans and the woman doesn't seem to know how to drive it!

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Can someone explain to me why I can't watch this video continuously? It plays for a few seconds then stops then starts again.

Curtis

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
because it's streaming.. and either the server that's hosting it is low on bandwidth, or it's not buffering enough before playing on your end.

Not to mention there seems to be a bit of a bottle neck in internet bandwidth when crosing the pond.

HTH

If you pause it and wait a few minutes (just as it starts), you should get to watch most or all of it glitch free... I do that alot when watching videos that load slow.

V

vagt6

That 275 engine sound is heavenly.

Having said that, I don't care if the driver is a pro or not, anyone who drives like that on public roads should be locked up at least one day for each stop sign/light he ran.

And, no Bordeaux to drink, either . . .

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Lemme tell ya, I have own the DVD release of "Rendez-vous" and it is well worth the outrageous price I paid for the 9 minute movie! There is nothing comparable. To watch that 9 minutes on a big screen with surround sound is nearly heart stopping. I have lived in france and I know all those streets like the back of my hand. What he has done is insane! I must have seen that video a hundred times by now and by the end of it my heart is pounding and my hands are shaking everytime. It never gets old!!

As for the controversy, I have made my own examinations. I have timed him from l'Arc de Triomph until here reaches Place de la Concorde and taken his time versus the distance myself. My calculations show that his average speed along the Champs Elysees is 67.4mph. That's really not particularly fast.

Also, my feeling is that you are hearing the actual engine sounds, however, my guess would be that he was driving a gear down to keep the revs up and give the impression of going faster than he really is. A car in second gear at 50mph will seem a heck of alot faster than a car in 4th gear at 70mph, see what I'm sayin'?

Believe me, like I've said, i've seen it countless times and even with all the controversy and claims, there is still no replacement. In fact, I just popped it in and watched it again just now since we're talking about it! (oh, and by the way, the lighting is MUCH better on DVD also)

JACK

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Jack,
I was analyzing a similar set of critieria. I believe you are right. There is also the time between the time you see a car and the car is passed. The traffic simply isn't passed quickly enough for a 70mph differential (100+ mph.) It's usually more of a 30mph differential -- leading to a mid-60s average speed.

Now that being said -- 67MPH is still a very fast average through downtown Paris (or any major city built for horses rather than cars!)

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I just watched that "Ghostrider" video alongside the other Stockholm videos, Here it is the one with the guy on a motorcycle doing (at least) 180mph through the freeway, splitting lanes and splitting traffic! Now THAT was IN-SAN-I-TY!!! You can see that guys speedo so you know that is no trick and some of the gaps he shoots through. I... I... I'm speechless!!!

As a side note, does anyone know what that bike he's riding is?

JACK