• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More Neophyte questions: New Valve Covers

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
So I see some very nice well-polished or chromed valve covers out ther eon ebay to replace the originals. Few questions:

1. Are thes ehigh polished worth it?
2. Do they wear/tear faster typically?
3. I see some have a breather tube and some don't. Any suggestions for prefernece here?
4. Replacing them I assume that i need new gaskets and is this somethign a guy who changed the gas tank and fuel pump and his own oil changed could do? Any issues once i open the old cvers with the torque on the bolts or anything like that? Since there are only 2 bolts, i thoguht I would buy a new chromed or high polished kit and replace the existing ones.

thanks and sorry for the dumb questions!

BJ

PSJ

Hi BJ!

"Worth it": Assuming your existing valve cover is whole and functional, the value of replacing it is in the eye of the beholder (generally, you!). So if you would like the bling, go for it!

Wear: Generally speaking, valve covers are not a wear item.

Breather: You should match your current (or the stock) valve cover. The A-series engine is known for wanting correct engine ventiation; I don't know about the B-series specifically, but generally speaking, they did it right at the factory.

Replacement: You'll probably want a new valve cover gasket. The rubber washers used in the fitting are often damaged by over-tightening; so same there. You might want to take a peek at the Moss catalog and make sure you have the correct hardware - it's an odd selection of nuts and washers.

Have fun!

Phil

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, Phil! I always get indecisive about original and redone or replacements. I just changed the emblem on the front bumper with a new one. My original was silver on black. The replacement is silver on red (accidentally ordered the wrong color) but it looks so much better!). I think I may just change it for the bling! The original is still in a nice black color (maybe it was repainted but it looks good.)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
BJ, Not knowing your mechanical expertise, always keep in mind the reason the factory designed any particular engine part and the amount of testing that went into it before manufacturing. Having said that, Phil hit the nail on the head when he said, "the value of replacing it is in the eye of the beholder". The polished valve covers look pretty, easily obtainable and easy to change but, in changing it, you must modify it to preform as the factory cover did. Most new ones aren't set up properly. The British did a pretty good job designing these engines with the technology of the day, surviving 40 to 60 years is a testament to that, so try to stay within factory specs. The major problem that arises is crankcase ventilation, an item that is overlooked many times. The small hole in the original valve cover, on some models, is there for a reason. It maintains some pressure, which is needed but allows the crankcase to breath properly. Make sure the new cover will conform to the original specs. <span style="color: #000099">Don't confuse this with race engines, their in a different ball park and have</span><span style="color: #000099"> been highly modified.</span> If the crank case isn't vented properly, other issues can and usually will arise. I've seen it many times. JMHO. PJ

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thank you PJ...these are the kinds of things I need to learn!