• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More leaking mineral oil from my 1989 xj6

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
My xj6 was leaking mineral oil from it's reservoir. I replaced the reservoir, and the leak stopped. Now, I have another leak from my rear passenger tire. I am unsure where the leak is coming from. Today, I cleaned the whole area well, so their is not dirt, or muck. I'm just going to re-fill my reservoir, and see if I can tell where it is leaking from in a week or so. Meanwhile, if anyone has any information on where the oil may be leaking from, please do let me know, and if they know of a FAST, reliable website where I could order mineral oil from. The Jaguar dealership is only open at the most inconvenient times, and quite a distance from where I live.

Thank you,

THC

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Well Chef, one of two things are happening. First, you may still have the "ride levelling" rear shocks are still on the car. They can and do go bad, and they will leak. The best cure is to convert the car to standard rear shocks. There are kits available, and although they seem expensive, they are about the same as just replacing the original rear shocks. For quantity HMSO, try Welsh Jag 1 800 875 5247, or XKs Unlimited, or any of the other "main" Jag parts suppliers.

The other scenario is that someone already converted it , but did not disconnect and block the line to the rear of the car. I used to use the bleed nipple from the rear shocks to close off the line port on the valve body on the fenderwell. Fits well, and comes with the car. Can't beat that.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
eggs ackley!!

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
Right,well, after running my car around after I cleaned where I assume the leaking mineral oil is coming from, I took some pictures, so that I may be better informed. After removing my tyre, I noticed that a little box had some m. oil dripping from it. Their is a good chance that I do need to replace the entire rear suspension, but is their a way I can patch it at all for the time being?
Monday, I have an appointment first thing in the morning with Jaguar to fix my seat belt(it doesn't move back and forth anymore, it's not the motor, just the part that the belt clips onto, it's stationary). So, it shouldn't cost me any money (if you know it will cost me money, please tell me, as I don't have the cash to waste on an automatic seat belt. Well, if I have the dealership take a look at it, does anyone have any idea how much they (or another Jag repair shop) would charge for a quick fix?
Jaguarrearsuspension001.jpg
Jaguarrearsuspension002.jpg
Jaguarrearsuspension003.jpg
Jaguarrearsuspension004.jpg
Jaguarrearsuspension005.jpg
Jaguarrearsuspension006.jpg
asd.jpg
asdf.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

I can't read the Delco number.
Should be cross-referencable.

Question:

Usually when I see a box like this linked to the rear axle, it's a brake proportioning compensator (no load, less rear brakes, full luggage in the boot, more brakes).
But in this case I suspect it may have to do with ride levelling?

Fortunately, none of my motor vehicles have any of that stuff......

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Hello Chef,

The box is the ride levelling sensor. There is NO mineral oil going into that unit. There is an extremely slim chance that fluid is being forced up the actual wires from the valve block under the hood. (It used to go from the accumulator/charge switches and leak on the passenger floor) There were some angry Jag owners..... Anyway, it is far more likely that either the pipe connection at the shock is leaking, or the shock itself. The pipe goes to a brass elbow, and then to a coil of pipe above the shock mounting flange. From there it attaches to the center of the shock itself. One side has a bleed valve(Left side). Best bet is to tighten all the connections that you can see.If no joy, start saving for a rear shock conversion. This is a really common problem, and it was so bad (and expensive for Jag under warranty) that Jag did away with ride levelling after 91 or so.

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
My repair manual suggests retrofitting my car with the newer rear suspension. Well, I'll look under my car on Sunday, and see what's what, and tighten EVERYTHING I can.
Coincidentally, I am going to Jag for a seat belt repair, and does anyone know if they charge a minimum service charge just for looking at the vehicle, even if what I am having them do is under warranty, and would they still charge me for labor?

R

RonMacPherson

If you are taking it to the dealer for a warranty repair. Either instigated by you, or a recall notice from the factory. the warranty inspection and repair is at no cost to you.

If you have them do ANY other work that is not covered by the warranty, that is work you are liable for..

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
Right, so, I just looked under my car a few hours ago, and noticed a metal tube had been cut. Their wasn't any mineral oil on it, but it led from the reservoir under the car. This tube lies next another tube that runs into the brake caliper. It's my best bet because I really can't tell where the oil is leaking from. I had a good feeling I was wrong to assume it was leaking from the box. It actually looks like under the car, mineral oil has been sprayed allover. It was dripping off of most everything at the passengers rear tyre, even on the inner wall of the tyre. So, I plugged the tube.
I'll try to get some pictures if they will help. My camera was dead when I went to take a picture, so I'll try tomorrow if I have the time. I looked around my shock absorber, and the diagram in the Haynes manual, and noticed the metal tube that runs the upper perimeter was gone, so I couldn't tighten any leads. I still don't know if the suspension was replaced, but the coil does have some green marker on it that reminds me of how a local junk yard marks a part they've sold, so I wonder if the suspension was retrofitted with the suspension of an older model. I'm not keeping my hopes up because the car only had 32,000 miles when I bought it 6 months ago, and had little work done by that owner (to the best of my knowledge, I am the third driving owner). Any more information is greatly appreciated.