• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More help on getting stuff off for painting--

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Hi folks-- you've been helpful all along the way with me-- more help?
On my '60 TR3, I got all of the metal/vinyl caps off the cabin trim/doors and got the door panels and handles off (what a chore!)-- the hex shaped rods on the door handles were a bear to get out of its "keepers" . Also got to see that the mounting brackets are screwed into wood! Now I now why the things are loose! Anyone try refilling those and redrilling them before remounting the door panels? Does that work? Now I'm at the stage of pulling the windshield-- Does not appear to be the Dzus type mount but bolts. The nuts are in a really awkward spot-- any chance these are captured? (attached to the body in some way so I don't have to find a way to get a wrench on them?)

thanks

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Jayhawk,

Beginning with TS60001 (Oct 59) the dzus windscreen fasteners were replaced with bolts. A few weeks ago my son and I stripped a TR3A of salvageable parts and as I recall the windscreen bolts came out without using a wrench on the nut. It may also have been the nuts were rusted in place.

The screw holes in the wooden pieces in the door can be made usable as you describe. An alternate method would be to remove the wood, over bore the hole and glue in a piece of hardwood dowel. Upon reassembly you can drill a clean hole for the screw.

Safety Fast,
Dave

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jeez... now you've pointed out yet another thing "wrong" with my car. Mine is TS72119L and it has dzuz fastners on the windscreen.

Oh well. I never plan on it being anything other than a driver anyway.

And I get the bonus of pulling the windshield off and being a complete dork with goggles sometimes.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Funny thing about the windscreen on my TR3. The original body is 23677, and I'm replacing it with 65815...no dzus fasteners. I had to get the later style windscreen stanctions. Also, the "nuts" for the windscreen screws on the post 60000 cars are welded on. After 60000, they also eliminated the wood in the doors...sheet metal screws. Maybe you have the earlier doors on a later car.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...the windshield-- Does not appear to be the Dzus type mount but bolts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whe you say 'does not appear' I wonder if you're certain?

You realize that even the dzus mounted stanchions had screwheads here, not the square-tipped "fool's tool" like the bonnet and spare tire compartment.

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Geo, you are right on. When I backed the car out into the light, I could see in very small letters on the slotted "screwheads" -- DZUS
I had the windshield off in 5 minutes.
Dave, I like your idea of the dowel-- that would give me a good solid new mount for the side curtain brackets. Doubt I would use the curtains very often but the brackets help to hold the door panel tightly, too.
Man, all the stuff you find to do when you start taking things apart and find things broken, loose, maladjusted {besides me}and missing. It'll be great, tho to have things working better and things fitting tighter!
All I have left to remove and clean up now are the DZUS squareholed retainers on the hood and the tail lights.
A round of 400 grit sanding, a bath (me and the car) and I'ts ready for paint!