• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

More focus bracketing

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This was done with a 24-105mm lens at f5.6 (set at about 43mm), so not Macro. The first image is a single shot with focus on the nose so you can see how much is in focus. The second image is a a composite ion about 22 images using focus bracketing and stacked and blended in PS.
R5CS2188.jpg

Stacked to get entire model in focus:

R5CS2188-Edit.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll call it remarkable. Nothing like it could be done with a film image.

And from what I've been able to learn, Darktable has no way of doing it. So ~maybe~ if I'd "bracket focus" in many steps with one of these APS-C's, the 'mits could P-Shop it to work. But methinks it'll have to wait and see if I go full-on nutso GAS and get a full-frame D850 or similar. But it's not a priority just now.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
This was done with a 24-105mm lens at f5.6 (set at about 43mm), so not Macro. The first image is a single shot with focus on the nose so you can see how much is in focus.
At f5.6, there will be some focus out in front of the nose of the plane that is wasted. Hyper focusing is a thing where you choose the DOF to get the entire subject (or as much as possible) in focus. On old lenses, there are marks near the focus ring that are color coded with the different stops. F16, usually blue in color, will show you the focus range with the two blue marks. If you focused on the nose, you would take that distance and move the focus mark back to the blue mark. That way, you are using the acceptable focus that was in front of the nose. Now a days you need a hyper focus app to tell you where to set your focus. The egg shot I did basically used this.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Now a days you need a hyper focus app to tell you where to set your focus. The egg shot I did basically used this.
I have at least 3 Apps (iPhone) that allow me to determine hyperlocal distance. One is called "DOF", another "Hyperfocal," both of which are calculators where you enter the focal length of the lens and f-stop and they tell you the HFD. But the one I use most when I want to determine HFD is called PhotoPills, which is just a table with f-stop (from f0.95 to f1024) on the X-axis and focal length (7mm to 1000mm) on the Y axis.
Truth be told, when I'm shooting with focus bracketing, I don't really care if I have some shots on the from or back end that are not needed. In that case I simply discard the images that are extraneous and use the set that gives me focus everywhere I want it and stack those. Crude I know, but to works.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll need to look into that. But thinking the time/effort to get it all to work on CEntOS may be a task with scant reward. The Darktable version I found for it that was easily loaded was Ver. 2.4.4.-1.el7. On top of that, support for the OS will be ending soon and some consideration is needed for that as well.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Mint wasn't updating its repository from 2.4 either. Even when I upgraded to a newer version and kernel. I've been downloading flatpacks directly from vendors. When arr you gonna start auditioning new distros?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When arr you gonna start auditioning new distros?

New/other Linux distros... waiting to see what/how the open source community deals with it all. Call it patience, or more likely procrastination.

I recall the days when the only digital you'd consider was the DF.πŸ˜›

Yeah, well between a couple pals here locally and YOU GUYS(!), the "familiarity factor" became less an issue. Once I started digging into the info, the toe went into the water. Now about hip-deep. Still fumbling with quickly reacting on the controls in some cases but you could say the headline reads:
"Old dog learns new tricks!"

These last gen DSLR's are now somewhat affordable for us, and with pros and the Avid Enthusiasts dumping the old bodies and optics for mirrorless gear, we've been able to outfit with what I'll term 'adequate' digital capabilities. And it's becoming enjoyable again. I'm certain if I were in better shape physically I could get back into regularly earning with what we've got in DSLR gear now.