• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

more basic questions

richrd

Freshman Member
I'm trying to educate myself before I "accidentally" buy a project.

What does the word "base" refer to in some of the ebay cars.

Is the mgb gt more desirable than the convertible?

What is the comfortable cruising speed of these little cars?

And finally, are there any big advantages of the triumph or mb over the other?

I have been around British bikes all my life and understand the mindset of the industry back then and I'm guessing it carries over to the cars.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hey, Rich -

"Base"? Not sure, but maybe base model that was offered. Can you give an example?

As for the GT vs. the convertible (or as they were called, "Tourer"), there were fewer GTs built, and they are gaining in favorability. But the Tourers are still bringing more dollars. Boils down to whether or not you want the top down! I'm lucky enough to have both!

Cruising speed will vary, but overdrive will definitely bump that up. These cars never were built to run the interstates.

And as for advantages of TR/MG, that's really subjective. I've enjoyed both; fate had much to do with my ending up with two MGs. I was happy with one of each until the GT happened along.

Try several out for yourself; one will speak to you.

:cheers:
Mickey

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Not sure how "base" is being used. Generally, this would mean a "basic" model with no options (sort of "stripped down"). But most British car are pretty basic anyhow and have few options, so I don't see this being a big deal either way.

MGB-GT might be better if you are in a cooler climate. But these are old cars, so I wouldn't drive either a B or a B-GT on salty roads. The GT can be pretty stuffy in warm weather unless you modify it and install air conditioning (which was a pretty rare option). I have an MGB roadster (convertible) and I really like it. It has a new top and is plenty warm enough in cool days with the top up (especially if you're used to riding bikes). You can also get a fiberglass hard top for the B roadster.

My non-overdrive MGB is good cruising at about 60 mph (but will easily go much faster). The overdrive option probably gives you another 10 mph.

MG vs. Triumph is just like Ford vs Chevy! You have folks on both sides of this.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As mentioned, open top motoring or not is that choice. Beyond that, size -mgb/ mgbgt and tr6/gt6 are bigger and more powerful than Midget/Sprite or Spitfire.

Parts availablity are the same for both, so, unless you have a preference as to style or marque, the real thing to look for is condition. Mechanicals are relatively cheap, interiors not so much and as usual, rust is the enemy.

Don't rush, there are lots out there and not terribly expensive for the most part.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
>>>What does the word "base" refer to in some of the ebay cars.

Not sure, as these cars really didn't have trim levels like American cars did at the same time. An MGB was pretty much an MGB, just had a small handful of options. Triumphs were pretty much the same.

>>>Is the mgb gt more desirable than the convertible?

If you go by the pricing guides, no. Convertibles (of almost any marque) are usually more valuable as, well, the top goes down. Often seen as a big plus in a fun car. That said, the MGB GT is a really nice looking car and would have some advantages in cooler weather. The biggest difference is that the windshield in the GT is a couple inches taller -- so that you've got a bit better visibility when the top is up. That said, I'm really happy with my MGB tourer, the top works well (at least to keep warm) and it is nice to be able to go top-down.

>>>What is the comfortable cruising speed of these little cars?

My stock MGB with factory overdrive can easily cruise at 70mph all day (I've done it). I've no issues with freeway driving -- the overdrive makes a big difference here.

>>>And finally, are there any big advantages of the triumph or mb over the other?

They're both great marques. I've had both, and there are plusses and minuses to each. I'm a reasonably big guy (6'1", 210#, big feet) and I find the MGB roomier than the Triumphs (talking TR3 and TR4 here). They made 500,000 MGBs, so they also tend to be cheaper to buy. Running costs and parts availability is similar, though the MGB is probably one of the best supplied classic cars in existence.

Triumph engines, if all stock, tend to be a bit more powerful. Both can be modified for more power with plentiful options.

To sum up, it's pretty much down to what makes you happy. Can't go wrong either way. Find the one that draws you in and go. These are simple and robust little cars, some of the best fun-to-cost values in the classic car hobby.