• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mobil 1 synthetic oil

TR250lover

Freshman Member
Any opinions, findings, thoughts on using Mobil 1 in our old British engines and driveline components?
cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TR250lover:
Any opinions, findings, thoughts on using Mobil 1 in our old British engines and driveline components?
cheers.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I use it in one of my GM cars, but I've never tried it in an older British Engine. It is fairly expensive compared to regular oil, so unless there was a compelling reason to do it, I'd probably just stick with good ol' oil. If anyone else has tried it in an older British car, please chime in.

Say, I just noticed you live in Troy, Ill. I seem to recall back when you registered - where have you been? I think I told you, but I used to live in Troy myself (on Franklin Street). That was back when I was in the Air Force and stationed at Scott AFB.

Basil

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used Mobil One for a while prior to rebuilding my engine.(it was due) The benefit at the time was that the car didn't smoke. After rebuilding, I decided to go back to non-synthetic oil for $$$ reasons. Now the engine doesn't smoke for the right reason.

OP
T

TR250lover

Freshman Member
Hi Basil,

I had computer problems, had to buy a new one, so I was without for awhile deciding if to buy another and then deciding what to buy. Took awhile to get internet service again and all that, but I'm back now and enjoying the site! Thanks for all the effort you have put into this. I remember you indicating that you lived in Troy some years back.

Larry
yesnod.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TR250lover:
Hi Basil,

I had computer problems, had to buy a new one, so I was without for awhile deciding if to buy another and then deciding what to buy. Took awhile to get internet service again and all that, but I'm back now and enjoying the site! Thanks for all the effort you have put into this. I remember you indicating that you lived in Troy some years back.

Larry
yesnod.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I wonder if we ever crossed paths? I was in Troy again last April. The wife and I were in Bowling Green, Ky on some personal business and drove home via Illinois. We stopped in Troy to visit friends. Did you know Doc Spencer, the Vetrenarian (he recently died).

Basil

(Sorry this is getting off topic)
blush.gif

OP
T

TR250lover

Freshman Member
Basil,

Yes, I did know Doc Spencer. He worked on several bird dogs (Brittanys) that I always managed to hurt while hunting! I also worked with his Dad, Warren, when I was a much younger man. Doc Spencer was a respected Vet from a wide area in this part of the country. He is missed by many! The new vets really don't have a clue about what it takes to maintain a real bird or coon hound like Doc Spencer did! Sorry, but you started this! Good to hear about another person that respected him as much as I!
Larry