• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MK2 Sprite - new windscreen to body seal - trouble

RickB

Yoda
I felt too sick to go out on the run today so I decided I'd try my hand at putting in the new seal between the windscreen and the body.

I got the windscreen removed and also removed the one from my spares car. I was thinking I would just swap as the parts car has good glass and the one on my Sprite is cracked.

After looking closer I decided I need to get a new seal for the glass to frame before I do that.

So I cleaned out the channel of all the old cracked rubber and slid in the new seal. So far so good.

I took it out to the car and after a bit of time got it all bolted up into place. I had a small wire in the flap so I could pull it out at the right time and the flap went right on the way it should.

Here's the problem, all bolted down it sits up off the body too high. What have I done wrong?

Pics:

newseal2.jpg

newseal1.jpg

newseal3.jpg

newseal4.jpg

newseal5.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only thing I see it the seal does not go under the post seals. Don't cut too much off. The windsheld wiper posts are correct.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
ok, so I should mark it then pull it and cut it off but "not too short"?

I can do that.

Is that little bit under the post lifting it up that much in the middle?

I actually cut the big round part but left the flap to go under the post.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go for it Rick. The frame actually sets up a bit all the way across but the seal keeps the water and wind out.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
The weather here is supposed to be beautiful again tomorrow so I'll pull it and trim it and then install it again.

Now - where do I get the seal that goes around the glass inside the frame?

nomad

Yoda
Can't see that it will keep the water out sitting up over the windshield post's like that. My bugeye looked the same way when I got it so I don't know what they looked like originally. I rolled the seal under and now it keeps the water out. Did the same to my MGA for the same reason.
KA.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
It's another sunny day in the Pacific North West so I'll be out there fiddling with the car again.

Probably take it out again today for another short drive, I love how the HS2's purr on the little 948 and the exhaust pipe has such a nice tone to it.

I'll pull the windscreen loose and trim the rubbery bits and then mount it back on.

Wish I knew a trick for getting it just a bit closer to the body.
I'll experiment with the geometry a little and see if I can figure out how it 'should' be done.

One thing that's a little weird is those seals for the mounting points of the windscreen posts. They have that edge going around. I'm assuming I have them mounted right but do they go on that way or should they be flipped over?
The ones I removed (probably originals) were all flat with no edging.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Found glazing rubber at Moss ($80) and AH Spares ($55).
Still a lot less than a whole new windscreen.

Wonder if there's some wonder-substance I can put over the old seal to make it last a bit longer...

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
One of the pillar seals is marked with an "A" and the other is marked with a "B".
So which goes where?

I ended up (today) putting in the windscreen from the parts car, at least it isn't cracked from top to bottom. It is tinted glass, is that odd?

I used black RTV on the old seal, hoping it helps at the very least.

Ended up rolling the seal under like nomad suggested - can't see how it could work if I can see daylight under it.

Maybe it's a deal where the glazing seal has contracted so much that it now fits too loosely. That's what I'm thinking.

Anyway, now I have a tinted windscreen from a 63 Midget on my MK2 Sprite!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Posts will not fit on the wrong side.

Seal was not rolled under.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Jack I agree that's how it should be, I just can't see how the seal can keep the water out if I can see daylight under it around the wiper posts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
it can't - you are right. I know we have had this overlap issue discussed before. Is it possible that you have the wrong seal? Moss lists two.

Or, it may be that what we have is a part that is either designed to cover too many years or a part that is almost the same as the part it replaces. Do you have the old seal to compare it too?

Either way, some judicious trimming may save the day

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
The old one rotted away almost completely.
Strange though that it sat down on the body while this new one that seems way bigger sits up so high.
It's like the frame was closer to the body until I removed it.
Maybe that changed the way the thing fits around the glass due to the glazing rubber being so old.

nomad

Yoda
Rick and JP, I have a sneaking suspicion that the seal we are getting now ain't like the original. Be nice, if an original exists, to compare the two.
KA.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Don't the specs exist? The flap being 1.2" the rounded part being 1/2" diameter etc...??

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
nomad said:
Rick and JP, I have a sneaking suspicion that the seal we are getting now ain't like the original. Be nice, if an original exists, to compare the two.
KA.

actually I suspect we are getting the original - just the wrong original. My hunch is that the profile is the one from wind up window cars. On mine the new rubber fit perfectly. I don't think anyone has had problems with wiper overlap except folk with side curtain 2 wiper cars.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yes, this is a side curtain 2 wiper car.

Got the seal from AH Spares and they have a different part for later cars.
I'd like to know the specs - suppose they would provide that if I asked nicely?

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
JPSmit said:
nomad said:
KA.

actually I suspect we are getting the original - just the wrong original. My hunch is that the profile is the one from wind up window cars. On mine the new rubber fit perfectly. I don't think anyone has had problems with wiper overlap except folk with side curtain 2 wiper cars.

Thats pretty much it in a nut shell.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Looking at AH Spares I see they list three parts for this application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
XWSN109 SCREEN SEAL-frame to body MK1 TO HAN5.5476
XWSN110 SCREEN SEAL-frame to body MK1 HAN5.5476 & MK2
XWSN111 SCREEN SEAL-frame to body MK3-MK4 [/QUOTE]

<span style="font-weight: bold">XWSN109</span> corresponds to O.E. Part No: <span style="font-weight: bold">14A4729</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">XWSN110 </span>corresponds to O.E. Part No: <span style="font-weight: bold">AHA5322</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">XWSN111 </span>corresponds to O.E. Part No: <span style="font-weight: bold">AHA7698</span>

I'm sending them a message telling them of my problem and asking for their advice.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe your windshied and frame is not original to that Spridget.