• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midgets in Portugal

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I've got my Midget on ebay. It has hit reserve but the buyer is in Portugal. He hoped I would help get the car to Newark from where it would go across the ocean. Don't they have Midgets over there, I mean, if a guy in Portugal wanted a Midget would he have to spend the big bucks to get one from the US? I told him no, I won't bring the car to Newark, he's on his own and that I will gladly cancel his bid if he wants me to.
Just curious, surely the money it takes to get a mediocre (nice but not THAT nice) Midget all the way to Portugal would be better spent on one that is already there.
I'm not a noobie, I won't be scammed but I also would rather not waste my auction.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
How is his ebay rating? and how is he planning on paying you. Those are the first two give aways. After that any thing can happen ......and usually does

I wouldn't give up a good American bid, on a chance.

Makes since to me England is a lot closer, and I am sure they have plenty of Midgets there

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've spent some time in Portugal, and I can't remember ever seeing an LBC there. It just ain't their kind of thing. Still, there should be plenty elsewhere in Europe. Still, it's fairly cheap to ship a car to Europe, as long as it can be dropped off at a port. Probably would cost less than shipping by truck to California.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
when I look at what LBC's fetch in the UK + don't forget he is buying in USD but paying in Euros, it becomes a good deal to buy here in a big hurry.

Aggudabbu

Does it really become that good of a deal US to EURO? But still there's not only the issue to expenses regarding purchase and shipping there's also the fact that he need to have it registered in Portugal and fit "EU standards/measurements" and they have some pretty messed up rules and regulations regarding that stuff, so buying a UK car would again be a whole lot easier plus then some of the regulations would drop since it's within the EU. But then again it might be the fact that he doesn't think he can get a LHD car anywhere but the U.S?

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I should probably cancel his bid but I'm waiting to hear back. I think Europeans forget how HUGE the U.S. is. My town to Newark it twice the entire length of Portugal for gripe's sake. I would drive it there, I trust it fine but the logistics are a nightmare and well, I'd rather keep the car anyway!

nomad

Yoda
If you are sure you have his money plus something for delivery I would not be afraid of it. I would be very careful of the money transaction and keep track of the second highest bidder. Unless, of course, you'ed rather keep it!

KA

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
You stated in your listing that, although you'd help, shipping and its cost is the buyer's responsibility, but you also said that you'd drive it to them. How are you going to calculate your cost to deliver it to Newark, and why wouldn't it be his deal to arrange the transport ? If you didn't want to deal with overseas bidders, you could have stated so. Also, it looks like there are two days left, so all this may become irrelevant. On ebay, the bidding's not over till it's over.
Bill

G

A guy in New Zealand wanted to give me 3K for door panels. I didn't have a problem.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Now a 0 feedback bidder is in the lead. I sent him a message to confirm his legitimacy. I guess I should cancel his bid if I don't hear anything? Man, I'd much rather do this the old fashioned way!
I put a warning in the description about low/0 bidders being contacted so I feel justified in dumping the bid. I guess if it's legit I'll hear back soon.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Contrary to belief in America, continental europe doesn't get too many british cars. Also cars here are VERY expensive, making shipping from the US cheap in comparison.
It's actually many times cheaper for me to import something from US than from England.
Don't believe all the propaganda that selling local is best. Europeans have a lot more free cash and can pay more than locals.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'd say you should go with your instincts, but be very cautious. If you don't hear anything from him, I'd suggest deleting the bid. I'd hate to do that, but there are so many scammers and clueless types on ebay--the chances are better than even that he won't follow through. After all, how difficult is it to (1) read the posting, and (2) respond to an email? If he can't do this, something is wrong.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Okay, that's reassuring. I just want a smooth transaction with all parties happy. I can't imagine how a guy in Portugal could orchestrate an international car transport, sounds like a ton of headaches to me. Selling local is still a ton "easier" from my perspective but it's been for sale locally all summer and while I've had a lot of interest and given a lot of test drives, no one has stepped up.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
mightymidget said:
How is his ebay rating? and how is he planning on paying you. Those are the first two give aways. After that any thing can happen ......and usually does

I wouldn't give up a good American bid, on a chance.

Makes since to me England is a lot closer, and I am sure they have plenty of Midgets there

Give away for what? Are you implying that foreigners are by definition swindlers? PayPal works very well across country borders.

As for more midgets in England. Not a chance. Very strict inspection laws have remove the majority of what was a minority to begin with. Most British sports cars were sent to the US simply for bringing cash into England. The brits do have a lot more Minis though.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
My colleague bought a 68 Chrysler Imperial from a guy in Denver. The previous owner simply took it down to a truck depot and had it trucked to Newark. From there it took a week to come here. Total shipping cost around $2000, plus the car $3000. Registration cost 10000 DKR. He now has a very nice, relatively unique car here for about 40000 DKR, which is less than half of what it would have cost to buy one already here.
example:
https://www.dba.dk/biltilbehoer/andre-biler/amerikanerbiler/maerke-chrysler/

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Total shipping including ground transport from Denver to Newark then to Denmark was $2,000? That's less then I would have figured. Okay, go Portugal!! (but I really don't want to sell it.....)

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Guy in Portugal won. What's the easiest way for us to move the money around? Paypal? Or will they charge me too much? What other options are there? Very mixed emotions on this. Hate to let go but it really must be done.....I guess.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Paypal works great. I think they take 4%. Don't deal with any other methods. Paypal is part of ebay and includes buyer (and seller) protection.
Driving to Newark could be the cheapest way, but charge the buyer. Don't do it free. You might want to check trucking costs. Don't forget insurance. Buyer pays that also, but tell/ask him first.

Unfortunately you have to let it go. ebay deals are legally binding. However you'll get the cash (don't give anything free. He doesn't expect it either) and he will get a nice car which is nearly unobtainable in Portugal.

Don't send it until the payment comes through, but that is immediate through paypal. Paypal gives you the money and charges his credit card. Either way, it is paypal that takes the risk. That's why they take 4%.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask my bank what they think, might be just bite the bullet and give PayPal their due. I've read an international money order is done too. Sounds like he's arrangement shipment from my door so that's good.