• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

midgets in a kit

tomshobby

Yoda
Since I bought my '74 in boxes I have read the windshield post by tao724 and have seen others on different forums that were purchased the same way. My question is, is this common and if it is why? Do people get in over their head or does the money run out? It seems strange that someone would take a car apart, invest money and time then walk away.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think it's the frustration level, especially for first time restorers. Taking apart a car is easy and cheap -- putting one together is complex and expensive. There were certainly times this past winter where if someone had walked up and offered me cash for my disassembled Bugeye, they could have had it.

I made it through that period, but lots don't.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Tom,

I buy a lot of cars and parts collections in this same fashion. Over the years I've found a few reasons to be the case.

1) The PO got in over their head. Taking a car apart can be easy, putting it together not so.
2) Picked up another (restored) car after they learned how much work it would be.
3) Loss of interest. It started out as a "good idea" but didn't stick.
4) The cost to put it back together was much greater than originally anticipated.

I know that when I talk to folks about buying restoration projects I generally try and dissuade them from it. I always recommend to buy a completed restoration. There's a much smaller percentage of us that will actually see the entire project through.

Jody

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
I suppose those things are true. When I purchased mine I immediately thought a couple years to complete and I have done this kind of thing before. My approach is to break the project into parts that can be completed in a reasonable time frame for my patience level. Seems to work for me. Right now I am finishing the front suspension, my brother is going to face the spindle nuts and that part will be finished. Next is the steering and sway bar. Then the front brakes.

Kind of like eating an elephant.

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I think there is a threshold that you hit. You get into so deep, that the loss would be too great to sell it. You have to be willing to suck it up and take the loss, or suck it up and make it work. I sucked it up and plan to make it work. It all depends on the car. RBs (mine) are not the most desirable models to own, but with some time and investment (chrome bumper swap), it will be just as pretty as some of the others. I've come this far, and with the help of the people on this forum, and the knowledge and skill in my area, I'm able to keep going. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I also think there are a few other possible factors.

1. many People are in love with the idea of restoring a car - not necessarily actually doing it
2. if you don't do something every day....
3. not everyone thinks to figure out if they actually like/ fit/ want to drive the car before they start.

Country flag
JodyFKerr said:
1) The PO got in over their head. Taking a car apart can be easy, putting it together not so.
2) Picked up another (restored) car after they learned how much work it would be.
4) The cost to put it back together was much greater than originally anticipated.

:iagree:

And the previuously mention frustration can be significant too. I'm partways through restoring a Big Healey, but I got a little burned out after 4 years and still no wind-in-the-hair and got another car; and then a thrid one. Some peoplke would have dumped the first, but I'm back on it now, a little, and after this summer intend doing a lot more....

It's very easy to start out full of enthusiasm and work hard stripping everything down and starting, but then fixing it all takes time, and there are all those other competing demands (for one thing, my wife has very little afinity for my hobby and objects to time spent on it), and financing the rebuild can be a constant drain.

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Agree with all of the above. The PO of my 73 Midget actually purchased the car about 10 years ago. He spent the next 2-4 years repairing all body work, applying POR-15 and primer. He has a 50 page photo album of the entire, piece by piece process. He did an incredible job, by the way! This must have been frustrating for him, but it allowed me to purchase a 'paint ready' body. He told me all the years of 'no-go' allowed his focus to wonder and he got into motorcycles. He also mentioned the reality of the true cost. Even reusing as many components as possible, the refurbishing, and need to replace and purchase is many times more than anticipated. I see on ebay all the time people investing money into upgrades and repairs, they then come to the realization that what money they have put into their vehicle is only the beginning, then need to get out before it gets any deeper, and them listing those costs to validate their asking price........their cars dont sell. This is what my PO told me exactly (he was very pragmatic).
I've done just what JamesWilson describes, mid-1990's I bought a MGB for restoration, after a few years of rebuilding, got frustrated and bought a MGB-GT!, The 'B' got finished andI sold the GT. Wish I had the GT money to put into the 'B'! After I bought the Midget, got itchy waiting, and bought a Spitfire. Did some work on it then sold last fall. Wish I had the Spitfire money back to put into the Midget! Moral of the story , as everyone above states: know your limits, know your abilities, know your finances, know your tolerances and frustration level!
I have promised myself to keep it simple from this point on! And, being a 'hobbiest', its amazing how much I have forgotten from my first major rebuild in the 90's!
(PS, and secret confession: I do love it!!!)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tao724 said:
Moral of the story , as everyone above states: know your limits, know your abilities, know your finances, know your tolerances and frustration level!
I have promised myself to keep it simple from this point on! And, being a 'hobbiest', its amazing how much I have forgotten from my first major rebuild in the 90's!
(PS, and secret confession: I do love it!!!)

:iagree: and know what you want out of the restoration. There is no doubt that I could have bought a car cheaper, but, for me the restoration was a huge part of the journey. It isn't for everyone. I love the doing and I love knowing that I know everything about my car - except at this moment how to get it running steadily :wall:

Country flag
I could never be happy buying a "finished" car. There would be too many things that I would want to change or do over. Not only do I enjoy doing the work, but I like being able to customize things to my taste, and I like being able to say that I did it myself.

I'd love to find someone selling an abandon locost project for pennies on the dollar.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
tomshobby said:
:iagree: I can relate to that! I am even taking apart what has already been put together just because I am not satisfied with the work.

Oh man, I swear I do exactly the same thing on every project. That's why I'm generally best off buying boxes of parts. There's something about not knowing exactly how part A was refurbished that drives me nuts.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I recommend that if someone is going to tackle a restoration, that they purchase a car that drives! First timers should never tow or haul their first project home. By buying something that runs, they can tackle the job in small chunks and drive the car in between. More often than not, a towed or hauled project never gets completed for first timers.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tim, that's great advice. My Bugeye was drivable (mostly), so at least I had a chance to get a feel for it before it came off the road.

That said, as a first timer I'd have been better of with a more completely running car as a first time project. A few systems to rebuild rather than the entire thing would have been a better start.

I'll know now the next time I get to try this for the first time...
grin.gif

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
Tim, that is good advice for the new-to-restoration person. I have my TR6 to drive and looked at the Midget-in-many-boxes as being closer to drivable than if it was still together. I wonder if the more experienced feel that way too?

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I am currently looking at a 65' Spitfire. Rolling but no interior, motor or trans. I can get it free! The only catch is I have to tow and haul. Can you say "Garage Furniture"?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
JodyFKerr said:
Tom,

I buy a lot of cars and parts collections in this same fashion. Over the years I've found a few reasons to be the case.

I know that when I talk to folks about buying restoration projects I generally try and dissuade them from it. I always recommend to buy a completed restoration. There's a much smaller percentage of us that will actually see the entire project through.

Jody
Yep, over the years I've bought lots of discarded projects for those reasons, plus health or job loss.

Mostly, I think people disassemble too much & get in over their heads.

Country flag
tao724 said:
......all the years.......allowed his focus to wonder and he got into motorcycles.
I know this guy's brother!!!! I bought my Jag from him for EXACTLY the same reasons!!!! Seriously on the selling reason part. :laugh:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dadandson said:
I recommend that if someone is going to tackle a restoration, that they purchase a car that drives! First timers should never tow or haul their first project home. By buying something that runs, they can tackle the job in small chunks and drive the car in between. More often than not, a towed or hauled project never gets completed for first timers.

very good advice - even if I didn't take it :whistle: now the SECOND project that's a whole different story - now that I have one to drive, I can really learn...