• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mid Ohio TVR / Watkins Glen GT40

zapparacing

Freshman Member
vR_2H4c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/IYWNMkbI7AQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, I've seen them too. Two great looking cars!

Aren't they both for sale right now?

Mike, cool cars, thanks for sharing, I saw the cars at SP before and met your son, nice young fellow. I now own and race Fred McConnell's MGB vintage race car, as only being a crew chief at SP, so far, I'm looking forward to getting up there now as driver and racing :smile:

OP
Z

zapparacing

Freshman Member
Hap

This is Chris, I'm the one that drives the TVR. It was nice meeting you at Summit Point last year and congrats on buying one nice MGB. Do you plan on going to the Jefferson 500 this year as well?

Chirs, probably not this year, looks like I may be dong the Mitty at my sponsor's request and his money of course :smile: But the Jefferson 500 and SP is defiantely on my radar screen for the future. I've been to SP now 4 times with the McConnells and love the track, and the people who race, and spectate there.

jdvintage

Hello Zappa Racing, Does Mike still own the Chevron B-16? My name is Jeff, I did the Black and gold carbon body&paint and the freshening up shortly after he purchased the car from Joe. Hope all is well. Here is a pic of a Chevron B-26 I bought as a chassis and parts. Chassis #3 out of 9. Sold it to a Gentleman in Watford, England.

Attachments

• 27748.jpg
    27748.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 282
OP
Z

zapparacing

Freshman Member
Jeff Sime, yes? I will say you did a heck of a job on the car after it was bought from Hish. The car was near totaled at Summit Point in 2004 while leading the Wyer Cup. A Lola T70 blew its engine and dropped all oil going down the chute. In the Chevron that was 4th gear going down through there at I'm guessing approx 100-120. Anyway hit the oil and was along for the ride. Went into the hillside, into the woods, flipped the car and sat there while 2 others did nearly the same thing minus the nasty wreck. One of the Donovan Lightweight E-Types ended up smashing into and then landing ontop of the Chevron. A very sad day. The car was rebuilt, rejigged etc and sold to Danny Mershon. Mershon later sold it to Ralph Manniker who runs it now (and still very quick). Your work is fantastic! and still to this day my favorite car raced/owned. There's a few videos I posted of the Chevron from Summit Point on Youtube as well.

I hope all is well. Glad to hear from you!

Here's a few pic that I found on the internet

29132782.SP10.jpg

29132785.SP11.jpg

29132788.SP12.jpg

jdvintage

Pretty nasty wreck! I hope Mike was OK. Actually my name is Jeff Dodge and I did the work on Mikes B-16. Jeff and I shared shop space at that time. After the Chevron was sold to Mike, I sort of took over the work to fit the carbon bodywork,paint and prep. I then delivered the car to his incredible home and shop. I think there was a Ferrari Dino and his black and gold MGA in the shop at the time. Talk soon!

OP
Z

zapparacing

Freshman Member
OK, I remember now. My father and I brought the car up to your shop when it was red with a gold stripe after it had been crashed at Summit Point on the front straight in a blown engine - oil trail. I co-drove that car with him once I was old enough. I remember I believe it was you that took us to lunch as some burger joint in Wisconsin in you old 911 Targa (which I fell in love with)...I think that was yours, anyway. I hope everything's well, your work on that car was top notch. Fantastic B26 by the way. I tried to talk him into another Chevron but we ended up with a Lola T212-sold it to Rahal and now the GT40. I run the TVR and the MG when I can. Any other cool cars in your shop?

jdvintage

Jeff S. and myself(Jeff Dodge) are just now finishing the restoration on a Cobra Comp.427. It's been about 4 years in the works coming from something that was not recognizable. The Cobra will be on it's way to the Targa 66 in about 7 days. This is the Elvis "spin out" movie car. Other than the Cobra and a few smaller projects,it's a lot slower than it was about 10 years ago! Talk soon J.Dodge

Attachments

• 27807.jpg
    27807.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 221

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great work, Jeff!

One of those CSX cars was owned by a pal in western PA back in the late '60's. That was my 'baptism by fire' car. Brutal beasts. The car was in Automobile Quarterly once, pal sold it to Tony Hogg sometime in the mid-70's. Not sure where it went after that or where it resides now, tho I s'pose it would be easily traceable.

We serviced a 289 version almost a decade ago, THAT was an amazing ride as well.

With all the "counterfeits" out there it's nice to see the real thing. :wink:

jdvintage

Thanks for the compliment. I have had the opportunity to do a lot of Cobras,289 and 427. All real, no replicas. A handfull of Ford GT40s thrown in there as well. Too many other vintage race cars to list. Everyone of them cool and a blast to work on.