• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Michelin X redlines?

Driven76

Can someone tell me what the tread depth was on these when they were still being produced?

Thanks

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kodanja, where are ya????? He can give you that info.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Try "cokertire.com"; Coker Tire may be the last licensed mfg currenly producing the Michelin 15X185 red line. Sure would shop around before i bought. Coker also sell blims that may not show any inperfections unless you are a trained tire expert.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sorry I dont have the answer!

just a real nice set of Originals!!!

Thanx again Paul!!!

DSC07743.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I thought I read somewhere -- and the absence of same on Coker's web site seems to confirm same -- that the old Michelin Red Line has finally gone out of production completely. Coker does have their own tire in that size, with a red line.

Seems to me most new tires have between 9/32" and 10/32" tread depth when new?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a brand new original spare tire,never been used.
If I remember,I'll check it.

- Doug

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Driven,

I just checked a never used, later-made (80s?) Michelin Redline I got in a trade - its 9/32.

Jeff

OP
D

Driven76

Thanks Jeff... and everyone else for the help.

I might have an opportunity to buy a set from the 80's, that is supposed to only have a couple of hundred miles on them.

This is through the friend of a salesman that calls on me at the office, so I'm still waiting to see if he still has them available and his price. I was told they are in like new shape and have been stored in a heated garage, but the age of the tires do concern me.

In any event, I have seen the Coker's and was wondering if anyone has much experience with them?

Unfortunately, most of what I have heard about them from others was that they were not happy with their quality.

I have also looked into the BFG's and will probably go that route if I don't pick up the Michelins.

Last, so far I have decided to keep the stock rims, but was thinking of a bit larger tire if I go with something other than the Michelin redlines. Does anyone see a problem with 205/70/15's? The outside diameter seems about the same as my stock tires, but wasn't sure if the added width will be a problem.

Thanks,
Roger

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I haven't had any problems with my Mich. redlines, although I dont do too much highways driving mostly backroad cruisin.
((but you do want to watch for any dry rot))

There are many better riding & more durable tires out there compatable with these size rims!

I just happen to like the way they look on my car!
((((so do the Praying Mantis!))))

DSC01552.jpg

tr632206004.jpg

OP
D

Driven76

I agree kodanga... I have always loved the look of redlines on the TR's, and will be trying to stay with red walls no matter what I choose.

BTW, you have a terrific looking car there. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I was hoping to find a green one when I first started my hunt, but ended up with #146 Tahiti Blue.

I still love the green, but have grown to like my blue just as much.

Roger

swift6

Yoda
A kind word of warning for those of you aspiring to outfit your treasures with 'old' tires. No matter how 'new' they look, they are still old and should not be put on a car that you plan to drive.

The following photos are of a 'time capsule' 1981 TR7 with less than 2500 miles on its odometer. The tires were 'as new' and looked perfect with no checking, dry rot marks or anything else. The car was being sedately driven down the Interstate at about 70mph when the tires failed. (the tires and wheels in the photo were put on so it could be pushed around the shop, not the ones that failed.)

P1280059.jpg

P1280053.jpg

The driver had multiple bruises and a nasty knock on the forehead. His wife, the passenger recieved a broken neck, a stay in the hospital and a rather nifty looking brace supporting her head for the next six months as she healed.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
mine was yellow when I got it

if that happens to me at least I have Paul to blame!!!...lol /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
Well like everybody else, I had to have Michelin Redlines. The car don't look right without them. So, I ordered 4 new ones for my TR6 in 2006. I asked before the order, have these tires been sitting in a warehouse for a long time, the answer was NO. So, after a shipping fiasco, I finally had all 4. Guess what, at least one was, if I remember right, 8 yrs. old, and the rest I think between 5-7 years old. I raised cane, and they said send them back if I didn't like them, even called Michelin. But, what else would I use? So I kept them. Now, next to OD, I think the best improvement is modern tires. I also think the best way to make the car look right is to use Panasport wheels and modern tires. I wish I had sent them back, they are expensive. I still only use Michelin on my regular ride, they are the best tires. But, the Redlines are old technology, the car don't drive as good as my buddies TR6's with modern rubber,not even close. I'll probably sell the Redlines, they are from the last batch Michelin made, so I doubt there are any much newer that these around. Have about 4k miles on them. If you buy new tires, check the date code.

OP
D

Driven76

Thanks again everyone.

After a couple PM's and seeing swift's pic's posted. I have decided that no matter how much I would like a set of original redlines, I'm going to look into a new set of tires.

Though most of my driving is not done at highway speeds. I do have overdrive and frequently take it out on old route 66 or I-55 to a White Sox game from time to time.

I'm a bit bummed that the originall X's are no longer being produced, but the upside is that now I can look into something wider like the 205/70's. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Roger

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Mace is right, I talked to Coker tire this morning; Coker is not listing the Michelin red line's any more because Michelin stopped production in 2006/2007 run. Unless they were all sold, there should be a few "new tires" around with codes indicating 2004,5,6 or 2007. Also, I was advised that Coker never made the tire under license as Michelin reserves the mfg process exclusively under Michelin's controls and factory for quality control. The Coker red line is a design and tread pattern unlike the Michelin (not close). I did notice that Coker tire lists the BF GOODRICH with the 3.8 red line. I think it is a 185/65/15. According to Coker, the tire will lower the car about 1 1/4". Also, the tire is about an inch wider in the widest area (not the tread) so it may scrub. I think the set of Michelin red lines on my TR6 were purchased in '79 or '80; after the pictures of the previous post, I don't even want to dyno it with out some new tires!

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just ordered and installed the BG Goodrich 205/65/15 redline tires. They are a lower profile tire, but I doubt that I will have a rubbing issue as I was running 205/70/15 before. I have overdrive and so far I'm happy.

Here's my post and a picture of the tires I bought in case anyone missed it.
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...7618#Post387618

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
This is how it works for those who don't know. Michelin didn't stop production in 2000 whatever. They make a batch when it suits them, and store them in a way that preserves them somewhat. As in the past,they will probably make a batch when the time is right, but who knows, they mite not. As for the rumors about some other company having the molds for the tire, thats just not true. I may still have a memo, from France, that I'm probably not supposed to have, about how long Michelin says these tires can be safely stored and sold. Don't know if I can find it. Do yourself a favor, buy modern tires. Or, if the price is right, I'll mite sell you a low milege set of Redlines, most likely from the last batch they made. I want Panasports with modern rubber. I'd have to think on it.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Those Goodrich with that agressive looking tread design look much better than the Michelins and it is good to know they handle better too.

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
I had a new set of Michelin Redlines w/60 spoke wires. They were ok (looked good) but gave a hard ride and were terrible in tight corners.

I like the minilites better with modern tires.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif