• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MGTD engine/gearbox same as other MGs?

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Sorry for asking all the weird questions,

Got offered a MGTD today that at one time had a Japanese engine . trans and trar end in it , right now there is NO engine/trans and an unknown rear axle,

Its rustfree and complete but sitting 20plus years,

anyway is there any other MG sedan thats cheap that I can get the drivetrain from ?

Or is it better to just sell it like it is ?
not sure if its a common thing to do a "transplant" on these cars,

Thanks for your advise
Beaulieu

Steve_S

Yoda
The TD used an XPAG engine, which is a fairly expensive unit to replace. Different versions of the engine were used in a few other MGs including the Y-Type. It would not be cost effective to buy a replacement engine just to sell the car. However if you want to put an MG engine in the car you can use a B-series as well. It isn't completely bolt-in but I've seen it done to a few cars and it is much more appropriate than a Japanese engine.

What 1970's/80's japanese engine did it have before it sat for 20plus years? That sounds like a really odd conversion for that long ago.

swift6

Yoda
Here is a fun recipe for you. Just discussed this with a friend of mine who has done a couple of B engine conversions into TD's. One came into his shop with a Sunbeam Alpine engine in it and the other came in with no engine, both left with the intent of having many miles and smiles enjoyed. Now on to the fun stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take the TD, put in a mild/hot B motor (cam, compression, aluminum head etc...) Change the front suspension to MGB (just switch the whole crossmember out) so you can get disc brakes (your choice of wire or disc wheels). Change the rear axle to a more favorable B rear axle (better gearing for new engine and such). Lower the car with its new suspesnion about an inch or an inch and a half. Throw in one of the Japanese 5-speed conversions. Take the fenders off and put on cycle fenders. Remove the lower sections of the bonnet to show off the engine transplant. Lose the top and the windscreen (go with Brookland screens).

You'll have just put the car on a diet, shot it up with steroids, improved its braking and roadholding and made a very unique MGTD Special. There are plenty of very well restored TD's out there so you won't be depriving anyone of a treasure. Sounds fun right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I do not know what it had in it before , just that it was Japanese (OK thats the story anyway)

I do not have the car (yet) so cannot really see if there are any telltale signs of Toyaya, Datsun infestation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was just hoping that it was motor/trans out of a more common sedan, with that out of the picture its probably better to just leave it without motor / trans and let the new owner do what they want with it,

Just as a question , what would a decent running correct XPAG and a gearbox cost ?

thanks for the advise

Beaulieu

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

Steve_S

Yoda
An XPAG engine will set you back a few thousand if it has been rebuilt.

TDs are worth a fraction of what TABCs are worth. TF is worth slightly more than TD. There were more TDs made than any of the other models which probably explains the lower value. They are a great car with many features not found on most cars of their day.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've a friend with a TD that has MGB drivetrain - to include wheels....nice ride!

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
$6262 would be rather high for the condition that car is in. A TD that is a driver will go for $10,000 and up. for a really good restoration, one could hope to get as much as $20,00 or possibly a bit more. The typical XPAG engine will go for around $2000 and need another $2000 to $4000 worth of work and parts to make it reliable (I know this for a fact as I had to get a replacement for our TD after throwing a rod at 4200 rpm). A good rebuilt transmission will run somewhere between $2000 and $4000 and a transmission in need of rebuild will go for up to $1000 with another $1500 to $3000 in parts and labor to make it good.

Just like the MGBs, it is cheaper to buy an already restored TD than to get a basket case and restore it. And like the MGB, once restored, they are a fun car to own and drive. We have had one for over 30 years and it was my wife's everyday car when we first got it. For 7 years she transported kids, dogs grocerys and even lumber in it. We drove it everywhere, including two trips through the western US, logging over 5000 mile each time. Over the past 30 some years, we have put over 100,000 miles on it.
Cheers

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A TD with a Volvo engine is just an old junker

Restoring them is very expensive...the entire body is made of wood with metal over it...we've replaced all the wood in mine & yo could buy a perfect Midget for that cost....the interior is all leather - we won't go there...the dash & instruments are something Nisonger loves to get as it pays their operating cost for a month

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just had a "spare" temp/O.P. guage redone. OUCH! Didn't take into account it'd been a dozen years or more since I'd sent 'em anything... I *hate* change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TD's are expensive little Midgets to own...I'm waiting to find the right guy to paint mine - that's all that is left...everything else is brand new....heck, I had Moss go through their stock & pull every nut, bolt, washer needed to put it together...still have all the fender, door, body panel bolts in a bag just waiting for paint! & you don't want to know what I could've bought for the price of that box of bolts!

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
thanks for the "truth" about TDs ,

They do seem to be pretty expensive to do for the final value , its looking more like this car is not the "deal" it first sounded like unless you want to hotrod it by putting MGB running gear in it ,

It was never my dream car anyway just another car to rescue do some work on it and make a few bucks to put into something else,
Ummm......what to do.....?

Beaulieu

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, its about a $2500 car as is.

OP
beaulieu

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, its about a $2500 car as is.

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW that seems pretty low , but looking at the Ebay one with the Volvo motor and $10K worth of parts you may be right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I just thought the Ebay one was a fluke and that someone got a great deal !

For $2500 it might be worth more in parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I am too lazy to part it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Beaulieu

Steve_S

Yoda
Tough to say with such a limited description. I don't like the modifications personally. The intake on the hood is kind of crude and the shifter looks really wierd. If you get really serious about this car I might be able to go take a look for you.

MGretired

It's pretty ratty looking...I wouldn't pay more then $2500 and it's already up to $3500 and the reserve hasn't been met. Instruments arn't MG either...

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The intake on the hood is kind of crude and the shifter looks really wierd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! whose shifter are you calling wierd?????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thats standard TR3 stuff. It's definately a TR3 engine and Tranny - that's a TR3 shifter stuffed in there. Tach and Spedo are straight out of a TR3 also.

I agree that is an ugly ugly air intake. TR3 intake manifold is pretty long and they barely miss the inner fender on a 3 so I imagine he had a tough time stuffing them in with that narrow hood.

I always said the handling of our TD with my TR3 motor would be a deadly combination. Now that I've seen it done... No thanks.

Corona huh... I drive through there every day. Might have to go take a look but I agree - that price is way too high already. It would take a big chunk of change to make that thing right again.