• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA rear transmission mount

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good day. I am up to my eyeballs in a frame off for my 1957 MGA. The engine/tranny is ready to go back in -- however, I have been trying to replace the transmission rear mount bushing... the original is SOLIDLY in place. Any suggestions for the removal thereof??? That is besides a 50 pound sledgehammer?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
Thanks, Ron

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
I feel sooo alone out here... No one restoring an 'A'??? I have a '66 'B' that is my 'Driver' if that makes a difference... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

got a picture?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Soaking the fasteners in PB Blaster is "Step One."

After that it's gonna be "Man Against Machine" as the final arbiter... Patience and an engineer's approach may also be of benefit. Photos could help, as may a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to treat it similar to a dentist's craft... Just some thoughts to toss into the "mix."

R6MGS

Yoda
Theres a few MGA-er around here.....I've done a frame off on my 58...and the 61 is my wifes daily driver....MGA's are my true love.

D

Deleted member 3577

Take a 1/2" or so drill bit & drill out the rubber around the bushing and then remove the bushing.

Cut the rest of the rubber out, then use a hacksaw to carefully cut almost through the outside (metal) part of the bushing & use a cold chisel to collapse / fold it in.

Be EXTREMELY careful about the replacement bushing.

Most of them were re-manufactured too large & may crack the tail-shaft if forced in.

Take to a machine shop and have em turn it down to 1 or 2 thou interference fit.

BTW......The hole is slightly tapered......
Good luck.......What a PITA!

WOW everybody......Look at me....I've been Knighted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Whatsthatnoise,
Thanks for the advice and the warning... time to break out my trusty digital calipers... And contratulations on the knighthood... from we who are still vassals... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif ?? PITA??
Ron

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Pain
In
The
Arse

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In addition to the hacksaw single cut, I've always made a second cut less than 1/2" away from the first. Knock out the "sliver" and the shell usually pushes right out... easier to collapse, y'see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Thanks to DrEntropy and WhatsThatNoise, With a single hacksaw cut the ole one came out quite nicely. AND, the OD of the new from Moss bushing is 1.885, the ID on the casing is 1.867.... The bushing is just large enough that, if forced, would give me two pieces where once there was one... Thanks again.
And Tom, I think some would argue that a move to a 'B' is anything but UP, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lateral maybe, but not up, other than chronologically that is. ... I do own a '66 'B' that I use as my driver... Both are cars that warm the heart... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
And one more thing... Yes, 'tis a PITA....
Ron

D

Deleted member 3577

I think the rule of thumb is 1 thou per inch dia.

(as far as interference goes)

That's what my machinist says.

The bad thing about tail shaft mount bushings is that it isn't all that satisfying after you get it in.....More like the end of a disappointing struggle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif