• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"MG" wins at LeMans2006!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The MG-Lola won the P2 class at LeMans. Not many MG parts on this car, but I can't recall the last time anything named MG won a 24 race in class. Diesel Audi won overall....first diesel win at LeMans ever. U.S. Panoz team beat about a million Porsches and Corvette soldiered on to win GT (again!)when the leading Aston-Martin fried a clutch at about 21 hours.
More Info:
https://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/live/actu/2006-06-18_AF_1049_gb.html

Lola-MG P2
Silverstone-2004-08-15-007.jpg

Better Picture:
https://mgcf.free.fr/sortie/2005/lemans/Andre_Pons_Lola-mg-n25_stands_Photo_1037x691.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look ma, it says MG right there on the car.

Grats to all you MG folks.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
2nd year in a row. The car is built by RML Racing. Ray Mallock, that is, son of Arthur Mallock of U2 fame. I couldn't be more delighted - althought we're not related, he was my "Uncle Arthur" when I was a boy, and a great friend of my father.
Ray has quite a pedigree in this class of racing - see www.rmlmallock.co.uk

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I grew up around this kind of racing and was thrilled to watch and feel them. For an MG to be involved, this is pretty exciting, for a few dozen of us!

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
[ QUOTE ]
2nd year in a row. The car is built by RML Racing. Ray Mallock, that is, son of Arthur Mallock of U2 fame....

[/ QUOTE ]

Two in a row....that is something.
And the Mallock connection is neat too. We've seen one of the front-engined, classic Mallock sports racers at Lime Rock Vintage several times.
Speaking of which, the ALMS race will be held at Lime Rock in a few weeks, so some of cars from LeMans will be there. I'm not sure about the Lola-MG but surely the Corvettes and the Aston-Martins.
I still can't figure out why they continue to sport the "MG" nameplate, since MG is effectively in Limbo and not selling any products. I wonder if they are being paid by someone to run the "MG" logos? Or is it just for sentimental reasons?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look at their web site, they sell all sorts of MG race stuff for mostly the MGF

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of which, the ALMS race will be held at Lime Rock in a few weeks, so some of cars from LeMans will be there. I'm not sure about the Lola-MG but surely the Corvettes and the Aston-Martins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if they run a similar class race at Watkins Glen this year? Just curious I'd like to go if they do. I'd love to drive the Healey on the roads around the lake there.

MGretired

Actually it's the MG/Loa EX 267! So far, RML is only racing in the ELMS (European LeMans Series, but I'm still hoping they will bring it to the Petite LeMans at Road Atlanta. They did a cost analysis during the LeMans race for bringing a car from US too Lemans...about 1/2 million after paying all hotels for crew, shipping fees, parts etc.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
No ALMS race at Watkins Glen.

There is a pretty big SCCA National event in July (6, I think).
Also, the Zippo Vintage (Sept 8) is a good one.
You just missed the VSCCA Historic races (yesterday).
More info on their site:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I've been away so couldn't get to the historic races, I'm away on July 6th also, but I'm all set for the Vintage Grand Prix, I love going to the Glen for that, there's always so many great vintage cars there.