• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG v. Triumph Forum Volume

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I notice there is a lot more volume and usually a lot more users online with the Triumph list than the MG one, what is up with that, not intending this to be a TR v MG thing, I think in the LBC world the number of MG people match or probably outnumber the Triumph people.

I have three theories but not much to back any up

1. MG People have some other online forum or list they like better? (this is what I think may be most likely, but don't know what it is)

2. Fewer MG models, particularly in the 60s and 70s, than the TRs, so fewer possible questions/discussion

3. MG people are psychologically different and like paper books and wrenches, face to face conversation etc. more than the internet compared to triumph people

4. a. Triumph peolple like to modify there cars more so more to talk about

b. Triumphs have more service issues to talk about?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ooo Ooo what is Triumphs have more service issues for $100 Alex.

And, don't forget we have a MG forum and a Spridget forum. They only have one forum. Assuming all Midgets on Spridgets and B's (plus T's) on the MG forum, I suspect you have your explanation.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Good point, on the Spridgets, but the MG was based on the Austin Healey Sprite, at best we will give MG half the Spridget volume and the Triumph list is still more active.

Steve_S

Yoda
Triumphs break down more. :laugh:

The various MG models are spread out all over the web - one has most of the TA - TC owners. Another has most of the TD owners. Another has most of the MGBs. MGA and MGC are kind of spread around equally.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, that was my guess, was not trying to start a war, was a semi serious question, knew there might be some good natured ribbing that would come from it though.

But there is something to be learned no matter which forum one visits! Variety is the spice of life.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Regardless of the quips about reliability, MG's have their "own" website that is extremely active. TR's have set up residence here, methinks.

The MG Experience is probably the most active MGB forum on the net, it's my other forum home :smile: This, here is probably one of the more active Triumph forums. I've been hoping this MG forum here would be more active, I check here almost everday, but it a fairly slow moving section of this forum, where the Spridget and Triumph forums here move much more quickly.

Country flag
DNK said:
MG people are just WEIRD

Have you been talking to my wife and kids???!!
grin.gif
My brother is a die hard TR owner and we're BOTH "touched in the head"! Go figure that one!! LOL

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree with Steve.When I need a quick reply to a question
about my MG,I'll post it on the MGE.When I need advice about the
TR,I post here.

- Doug

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
I've owned my 66 TR4a since new. I don't think we were ever much for organizing and somewhat arguementative about the models themselves. TR6 was a dominate force for a long time on the club scene. BCF really is the first forum where all the models of Triumph were represented and if you go back and read some of the early post the battles were somewhat heated. It was fun reading. There are some 1st class techs in the TR section also, and a couple of VTR original founders that set the pace. So, yes, I think BCF is the national place for talking all things Triumph.

G

There's a rumor that it's much easier to operate a computer if you nose isnt pointing up in the air. Triumphs- Burgers and beer crowd. MGs wine and cheese. Just poking fun,but it could account for the volume difference. I have 3 TRs and one TF and a constant battle in my mind. But Im a diffrent kinda cat. Im always leary of cars with no spine{Frames} MGB MIDGETS TR7s and 8s. No frame no soul. Just a hollow shell of a LBC.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Silverghost said:
DNK said:
MG people are just WEIRD

Have you been talking to my wife and kids???!!
grin.gif
My brother is a die hard TR owner and we're BOTH "touched in the head"! Go figure that one!! LOL

Peter, just the opposite here. My Bro has a 72 B.
I crack on his all the time

Steve_S

Yoda
Just to nitpick a little, MG Experience is primarily for MGB. Other models of MGs focus on other sites including MG Enthusiasts' BBS, Auto-X, Yahoo Groups, etc.

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
I have had a few MGBs, an MGA twincam coupe, and 31 Triumphs. Plus a few Jags and a Healey or two. I think the MGB folks are spread out a bit more. I've found MG and TR owners are about equal when it comes to modding their cars. I cruise several forums since I've found answers for my Spitfire on a B forum and vice cersa. For me, I love my Spitfire, and it's more primitive, stripped down for autox and is my only car. I'm about to hit 11k miles in it since mid March. The MGB when it hits the road will be a little firmer in the suspension than stock, but mostly will be a bit more comfortable and will be used for long trips and an occasional autox.

Starbuck

Freshman Member
Hap Waldrop said:
The MG Experience is probably the most active MGB forum on the net, it's my other forum home :smile: This, here is probably one of the more active Triumph forums. I've been hoping this MG forum here would be more active, I check here almost everday, but it a fairly slow moving section of this forum, where the Spridget and Triumph forums here move much more quickly.

Hap's correct. The MGE site is by far the most active MG site I've found. This is one of the more active Triumph sites.

And, as a point of pride, MG sites aren't as busy as Triumph sites because MG's are so much better engineered and break down less often than Triumphs thus requiring fewer "calls for help" from other owners.
We MG owners also have better social skills and manners which means we interact more on a face of face basis than online.
We're also better looking...
funnier...
smarter...
have cleaner fingernails...
Fine singing voices...
A charming air of modesty...
and a gigantic, unfounded sense of superiority...
Oops, sorry, that last one was for Healey owners :laugh:

swift6

Yoda
Starbuck said:
Hap Waldrop said:
The MG Experience is probably the most active MGB forum on the net, it's my other forum home :smile: We MG owners also have better social skills and manners which means we interact more on a face of face basis than online.
We're also better looking...
funnier...
smarter...
have cleaner fingernails...
Fine singing voices...
A charming air of modesty...

...and obviously under the misconception that your poo is odorless too. :jester:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's the way to go?Am I a better person if I admit to owning
an MGBGT,or a TR6?Is this about what's more popular,or acceptable?
I have both,but neither one makes me superior to any other person/-
car.I enjoy the "friendly banter" between the marques,but I don't like it
when it turns into anyone seriously looking down on anyone else.

- Doug