• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Skunk Works: More Custom Manifold stuff

Bret

Yoda
Yet even more developments.

Accommodates everything the old restrictive stock manifolds did except the EGR valve that is no longer needed with the Moss EFI kit.

NewManifoldAdaptors.JPG

Once it's done and the cats installed down stream in the exhaust - I shouldn't have any problems passing the SMOG tail pipe test. But the question remainis - will she pass the under bonnet visual inspection part of the test.

For that reason I am trying to keep the "bling" factor toned down a bit and be as nondescript & ordinary looking as possible.

Next step is to mount it all on the existing motor for a couple of test runs and figure out where I'm going to place the cat in the exhaust. Afterwards I've got to take it all apart again for the head & camshaft swap.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, you about ready to sell one?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Again that was never really part of the plan Tony. Least ways I haven't thought about anything more than sharing the Intel with other folks at this point.

But I figure I should be able to declared success & put my name on it (in that I was the first! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif ), about the time I get a PASS on Pagan’s next smog test.

Other than the “One Off” Custom Manifold – I’m trying to do all this with over the counter stuff so the next guy who wishes to follow in my foot steps could decide if it’s worth it or not.

Bout the only thing I might be willing to do is take the lead on - is any “group buy” to see if we could get the cost down on the manifolds. Because right now I think they’re kind’a pricy at about $400 a pop. But other than that I’m just putting the information out there and will let others do with it what they please.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Chromed manifold would look nice.

I am really fasinated with those folks that can do this kind of stuff.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
OK, I've been following the developments on this project and I have to ask, Isn't this similar in concept to the Austin Marina intake/exhaust like the one I currently have installed on my B. I can say that the improved exhaust flow of the Austin Manifold makes a great deal of difference when you compare it to the original strangled intake/exhaust. I don't have dyno numbers to back this up but seat of the pants feeling says major improvement.

Regards John

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
kyreb1862 said:
OK, I've been following the developments on this project and I have to ask, Isn't this similar in concept to the Austin Marina intake/exhaust like the one I currently have installed on my B. I can say that the improved exhaust flow of the Austin Manifold makes a great deal of difference when you compare it to the original strangled intake/exhaust. I don't have dyno numbers to back this up but seat of the pants feeling says major improvement.

Regards John
I’d originally wanted to get an Austin Marina intake/exhaust too, but even with searching all I could find was junky ones or ones that where priced above what I ended up paying to have the manifold made and purchase the 3-1 short header.

Another issue with the Austin Marina manifold is that it isn’t a three into one exhaust – thus I’d have to run the two exhaust pipes into a Y-pipe to collect into a catalytic converter. That would mean putting the cat farther down stream and under the car. Right now I think I should be able to position the cat closer to the collector of the header (possibly at its base) and on out towards the rear. This will allow the cat to reach it’s optimum operating temperature quicker.

But the biggest problem was - even if I’d of found an Austin Marina intake/exhaust that wasn’t a piece of junk and/or was priced more reasonable – with their scarcity someone would’ve eventually had to do what I’m doing now.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Yeah I think you may have really hit on something with this manifold project. I'll be interested to hear how the road test goes. I'm thinking you should be able to get performance levels that equal or maybe exceed my setup. If so, you will be pleased indeed because, I am both pleased and impressed with my own results.

Regards John

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Great work thus far. It should be interesting to see how everything looks once it is in the engine. While I am of the opinion that the cars should run great, there is something to be said about how it looks.

Keep up the good work, and let us know how things progress.