• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MegaJolted 1380 starts and runs

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
My APT built 1380 started up today on the MegaJolt ignition system I built and installed. Initially I started it on the Ford EDIS4 ECU in limp-home mode to verify the basic system, then I connected the Megajolt ECU and plugged in my laptop to verify operation. It ran just as advertised and settled down to a smooth steady idle once I got the SU's close to adjusted. I am running a map for a similar 1380 off the MegaJolt site, it ought to be a good starting point. I don't want to run it much until I can get a timing light on to it to verify the precise setting of the trigger wheel. There is 5* of base timing adjustment in the software so if the wheel is close now it's just a software change to get it exact.

The Westfield is nearly ready to drive, I just need to make a new rod for the clutch. I cut mine too short and had to order a replacement piece, FYI it's 6mmx1.25mm for a Rivergate using the stock M/C. The car is fully wired with all lights, gauges and instruments working. A fellow Eleven driver is coming by in a day or two to set up the suspension: toe, camber, etc. He also has a timing light and a Uni-Syn so we should be able to get it all dialed -in in a couple of hours.

Tomorrow I am off to the DMV to pick-up my temporary tags so I can drive the car to it's inspections. CHP for the VIN#, BAR for who knows what, and then the headlight inspection. I hope to have that done in time to take it for a spin in the hills this weekend, it's been years since I used to ride my Laverda out to The Rock Store on Sunday mornings and I would love to be there this week.

Then it's back to Tucson to finish up the cosmetics, it's in the as molded condition with all the seams showing right now, so it needs sanding and then buffing. I am not going to paint it for a while although I may get it striped by a car wrapping place to try out paint schemes.

I will post links to pictures in a couple of weeks when I get back to AZ.

Morris

Yoda
Very exciting! I can't wait to get a trigger wheel in my car. How 'bout some pics?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very cool! Good luck on the final little bits, and enjoy the driving.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Like I posted earlier, it will probably be a couple of days before it hits the road. I will post pictures when I can..... Too busy working on the car to stop and dig up the Canon.

I have a pretty good oil leak at the valve cover, seems the gasket has squeezed into the valve cover and is leaking. Is it standard practice to glue the bottom of the cork gasket to the top of the head? I was thinking of opening it up, cleaning the head and using Permatex to bond the gasket to the head. I also learned not to pump the clutch when there is no clutch rod in place: it just forces the piston out and then gravity drains all the fluid on to the shop floor.....DOH!!!!

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
I glue the (cork) gasket to the rocker cover at the corners and along the long edge is a couple spots and then rest it on the bench, gasket down, with some weight on top overnight. This way the gasket stays with the cover when you need to adjust the valves and it doesn't move around.