• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mazda RX-8

Basil

Administrator
Boss
When I was in Colorado Springs this past week on business, I visited a fried who's son just bought a new Mazda RX-8. It seemed like a pretty snazzy little car and he said it was pretty quick too. Has anyone had any experience with or have opinions of the RX-8?

Basil

G

I've heard the handeling is excellent, but to go quick you will spend a lot of time at 6000+ rpms. Redline is at or near 9000 rpm ! We'll see if they come out with a single or twin turbo model !

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
We'll see if they come out with a single or twin turbo model !

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple years ago I almost bought a 3rd Generation RX7 twin turbo - it was scary fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Basil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One of the guys in our club is a car salesman. He brought a new one (with temp dealer tags) to Lime Rock for a lapping day that we ran in March. That thing was keeping up with a new 911 and a modded Corvette. Not just a car that accelerates well....it's a handler too. And 4 doors with a back seat!
Our neighbor's kid bought a new RX8 a few months ago. He had it less than a week when someone clobbered the front fender...it's fixed now but it was sort of heartbraking.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard the handeling is excellent, but to go quick you will spend a lot of time at 6000+ rpms. Redline is at or near 9000 rpm !

[/ QUOTE ]

Its definitely a revver, as all rotaries are, but don't let that put you off. 9000 rpm in rotary sounds and feels like 5000 rpm in a piston engine. My son has a 91 RX7 and at track days I kept bumping the rev limiter (8200 rpm) because it never felt like it was buzzing that quickly. If you're into relaxed cruising, the RX8 isn't for you, but if you're into "d@mn the torpedos, full speed ahead" sports car driving, its a gem. Folks on the Miata board are salivating over them.

A

aerog

I looked at an RX8 awhile ago. Beyond having 4 seats (which is nice) it really isn't that attractive a car. I think Mazda had great ideas with the look of the last RX7 we had in the states, which the NB Miata followed slightly. The RX8 looked like a car they added a bunch of add-on body parts to me.

I was mildly amused at all the people scrambling to dive into the Mazda buy-back program when they revealed the original HP numbers were inaccurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree scott about the RX-8 I don't like the way it looks. It looks like a car that could have been good looking but then some rice head teenager got ahold of it and added all these body panels too make it look ugly.

William

Darth Vader
Seen quite a few RX8s around lately. I'm starting to like the looks of the things, especially in black.
-Wm.

Andre the Giant

Jedi Hopeful
While I really respect Mazda for giving us a rotary engine, I couldn't stand the looks of the RX-8. It would have looked much better as a two seater in my opinion. I opted for the Nissan 350Z. The cars perform about the same, (they handle and accelerate very well) but I love the way the Z looks.

I still miss the Midget though. In a couple years, when I've got a three car garage, I will return to being a LBC owner.

Carlover325

The rotary engine adds horsepower and increases fuel efficiency, at least, that is what I was told. They look really good in black and red. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
The rotary engine adds horsepower and increases fuel efficiency, at least, that is what I was told. They look really good in black and red. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The one my friend's son has was read with a black and red interior. Very sharp car! I must test drive one!
Basil

Steve_S

Yoda
I did a video shoot with a couple RX-8's. I never got to drive them but they seem well built. The back seats and third door kinf of spoil the sports car theme, but it does seem to hold to it's sporting heritage pretty well. I like the looks of the car but they took the triangle thing too far imho.