• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Manifold and Carb overflow tubes on a BJ7

PeterB

Country flag
Can anyone explain or have a couple of pics of how the 2 overflow tubes comming out from under the manifold and the 2 from the float bowls on the carbs get routed down though the engine area. If the pics are too big to post you can send then to me at isailboat@myfairpoint.net

Thanks,
Pete

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Pete, There is considerable info regarding these drain tubes in the archives as it was just recently a forum topic. If you need more info we certainly should be able to help .--Regards--Keoke

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Peter, i will try to remember to look at mine tomorrow. But Some years ago, the last time I worked on my carbs, I do remember that I extended mine with small diameter gas line tubing and routed them down past the frame, the intend was to keep them and any fuel that might weep from them as far away from the exhaust system as possible. I believe I used wire tyes to keep them where I wanted them.

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
The carb plastic overflow tubes come together above the carb heat shield and are routed together down through a hole with a grommet in the heat shield. The metal manifold drain tubes are formed around the exhaust manifold and then go close to straight down through two small metal tabs that are attached to longer through bolts for the oil pan in the front and back.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Peter,

Stretch explains very well how they are routed.
Here are two photos.

My manifold drain tubes are copper.

1. The small metal tabs that hold the copper overflow tubes I made out of plummers tape and painted engine green.

2. My carb overflow tubes are gas resistant rubber tubes I got from the local auto parts store and cut to length.

3. The rubber grommet came from the hardware store.

Sometimes it's cheaper and quicker to make your own parts or pick them up locally. They may not be absolutely correct, as what the vendors provide, but if they fit, work and look close enough, it's an option.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag
Roger, I got no grommet. What size is it? The one I have in my junk box has a hole too small for those big pipes. (I cannot cut it larger cause of the outside rim)
TH

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I haven't seen it discussed here before, but the copper drain lines are a good source of "airleaks".
Patrick

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Roger, I got no grommet. What size is it? The one I have in my junk box has a hole too small for those big pipes. (I cannot cut it larger cause of the outside rim)
TH

Hi Rich,

The size you need is dependent on the size of your "big pipes". I'd suggest you try a couple different sizes till you find a good fit. They are available at the hardware stores.

Cheers,
Roger

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
I haven't seen it discussed here before, but the copper drain lines are a good source of "airleaks".
Patrick

My first question is are the copper pipes not correct?
Second question, will you elaborate on "airleaks"?

Thanks,
Roger

Country flag
Copper tubes were original.Mine were pinched off by the PO. Made no difference when replaced but they do seem to drain the manifold (aka, more drips on the floor when engine off).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Patrick

My first question is are the copper pipes not correct?

No they are not correct, :nonod:

Second question, will you elaborate on "airleaks"?

The Manifold drain pipes were fashioned into a lazy Z shape so as to provide as long an air path as possible to insure that intake manifold air leaks do not occur.

Thanks,
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I think Keoke was referring to the material of the pipe, copper being incorrect.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Keoke, if they are not correct how come the second part of your answer regarding how they were shaped?

Hello TH, because the pipes as shown are straight drops they have not been shaped in to the lazy Z pattern to extend their length. Yes Greg, I used copper too which is incorrect

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Keoke said:
tahoe healey said:
Keoke, if they are not correct how come the second part of your answer regarding how they were shaped?

Hello TH, because the pipes as shown are straight drops they have not been shaped in to the lazy Z pattern to extend their length. Yes Greg, I used copper too which is incorrect
If they are not copper than what are they?
The "lazy Z" is correct. I have dismantled original cars 25 years ago and can recall this shape. Even a lazy Z, air will still have air traveling up the tube(copper or whatever). I know guys who have shut off the tube by removing it and capping the fitting to the manifold. The tubing just seems to let you know when you have a jet leaking, but you can usually figure that out by the smell of the gas and the rough idle(and engine dying).
Patrick

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Keoke said:
tahoe healey said:

:savewave:
If they are not copper than what are they?---STEEL!

The "lazy Z" is correct. I have dismantled original cars 25 years ago and can recall this shape. Even a lazy Z, air will still have air traveling up the tube(copper or whatever). I know guys who have shut off the tube by removing it and capping the fitting to the manifold. The tubing just seems to let you know when you have a jet leaking, but you can usually figure that out by the smell of the gas and the rough idle(and engine dying).
Patrick

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks to Keoke for his good eye and attention to detail.
My british mechanic just happens to have a BJ8 in his shop.
Here's a photo of an orginal "lazy Z" shaped overflow tube.

Cheers,
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
------------------------------------------ :blush: